Digital Foundry: Inside The New Forza Motorsport: Turn 10's Radical Technology Revamp

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

In development for six years, the new Forza Motorsport for Xbox Series consoles and PCs features a complete revamp of the game's core technology. In an extended interview conducted remotely by John Linneman, the Turn 10 team go into depth on the technology behind the series reboot, covering tracks, vehicles, simulation, ray tracing, the various performance modes and much more.

PC version allows unlocked frame rate
- No longer relying on MSAA on console, moved onto TAA.
- PC version supports FSR and DLSS (no mention of XeSS)
- The decision to make the game not cross-gen was done very early in the prototype phase (5~ years ago)
- Real time RT in game play on SX includes RTAO and RT Reflections in both RT modes (RT Perf. and Quality)
- Turn 10 used visual techniques Play Ground games used in the Horizon series

- The game also uses a new sky/cloud system. Procedural methods applied for clouds/fogging/wind.
- Results in dynamic time of day on track which can 'drastically' change lighting etc in real time
- Post processing stack has been completely renewed from the previous games.

- New physics / tire models required the tracks to be rebuilt to accommodate it.
- 3D crowd / off-track environment detail created with help from Playground games

00:00 - Introduction
00:51 - Why did Forza Motorsport Require Six Years to Build?
04:26 - Rendering Modes on Xbox Series X|S
06:32 - Switching from MSAA to TAA
09:13 - Why did the team choose to ship on next-gen only?
11:30 - Let's talk ray tracing
16:16 - The new sky system
19:03 - The new post-processing stack
19:58 - Advanced tire and physics simulation
21:37 - How do you make a track in Forza Motorsport?
24:37 - Trees and Crowds
27:22 - New shaders galore
29:53 - How the team handles materials
32:40 - How do they approach updating cars from prior games?
33:54 - DirectStorage
34:52 - The wrap-up

*cited from Adam'sapple gaf

D

Deleted member 223

Looks to me like this is another case of an Xbox developer handing out talking points and notes like the Coalition did with Gears 5. Of course we only got to know that fact when KingThrash got Johny boy to admit to it after calling him out for all the BS and inconsistencies in the the Gears 5 video.

DF is trash. On the one hand as a community we can't say it's shit, biased and unreliably while on the other give them all the clout they need to keep their "business", behavior and activity going. More like a scorned lover relationship. I.e, "if only they were objective" or "If only they sucked Sony's dick instead of Nvidia's and MS".

Doesn't work that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Looks to me like this is another case of an Xbox developer handing out talking points and notes like the Coalition did with Gears 5. Of course we only got to know that fact when KingThrash got Johny boy to admit to it after calling him out for all the BS and inconsistencies that weren't being called out on the Gears 5 video.

DF is trash. On the one hand as a community we can't say it's shit, biased and unreliably while on the other give them all the clout they need to keep their "business", behavior and activity going. More like a scorned lover relationship. I.e, "if only they were objective" or "If only they sucked Sony's dick instead of Nvidia's and MS".

Doesn't work that way.
True indeed. Not to mention thy didn't point out some of the big fps drops in Starfeild. If this was a Sony exclusive like "Days Gone" they would have pointed it out immediately. It's fucking sad you have media like this schilling for corps but what's worse is that even with evidence of behind close door agreements and grimey shit the fans will still make excuses.

Bro Days Gone world is better and more beautiful with dynamic time ilof day and weather and does so much more than most of these open world games yet it got slaughtered for bugs and performance which btw mostly got ironed out after a few patches. Yet other games don't even get a mention of issues.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Oooffff no on track ray tracing on series S as expected they've made a big stink about this feature because gran turismo 7 doesn't have it & it's not even on the console that most Xbox users this gen have 😂

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I was pretty rough on this after the ray-tracing news yesterday, so I’ll take a more positive tact this time.

I did enjoy the video. My perspective is thinking GT is generally the gold standard for a sim that’s still approachable, and finding GT7 a particularly good expression of that franchise. That said, I do like to see first party competition in this area.

Although I’m a bit perplexed it took this long, for this result (apparently less content than previous games too), I like the idea of a complete rebuild for next-gen, and am generally pleased with the results. Things look more modern, varied, and fleshed out from the prior games, with a good example being the trees. I think a lot of the lighting and time of day/weather stuff looks really good too.

Of course, it’s still not clear to me where PC footage ends and console footage begins, so we’ll wait for the final results on that.

I think my only letdown, *so far*, is that in order to really enjoy the ‘next-gen’ feel of this, you’re going to have to choose to sacrifice an unannounced amount of resolution, or 60 FPS.