Digital Foundry - PlayStation 5 Dolby Atmos Support Tested!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
WOW John is going to gym?

BTW no delay between screen and sound.
I have no ideia Xbox users suffered that much with desync video/audio... you guys receives second level of quality in experience and are fine with that 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What was that story about having to buy a license? That never made any sense to me.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What was that story about having to buy a license? That never made any sense to me.
Every device that supports Dolby Vision pays roalities.
That includes your TV... your receiver... and now PS5.

Not just that... every content created using Dolby Digital needs pay a license too (actually you need to pay a license to create the content using it).

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Dolby is overrated bs honestly. Even dolby vision. Normal HDR looks just as good having experienced some hdr and dv movies

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Dolby is overrated bs honestly. Even dolby vision. Normal HDR looks just as good having experienced some hdr and dv movies
LMAO It’a obvious you‘ve never heard a true 7.1 Dolby setup, and it’s also obvious you‘ve never seen a Dolby Vision film. Please be quiet.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Double Vision is way better than HDR.
It can reach 10000 nits with 12bits of color with dynamic color mapping.
HDR is limited to 1000 nits and 10bits of color.

HDR10+ was created in response to Dolby Vision but it is still very limited… same 1000 nits and 10bits of color but now with dynamic color mapping (the biggest issue with HDR).

And no… HDR doesn’t look no where as good as Dolby Vision.

If you experienced similar quality is possible due two points:

- The content was made for HDR and after just translated to Dolby Vision (it will be limited to what it was created in HDR).
- Your device screen has specs up to HDR and that Dolby Vision support is limited by these specs (eg. your TV can’t go over 1000 nits or 10bit color depth… and that is the case for all OLEDs).

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
LMAO It’a obvious you‘ve never heard a true 7.1 Dolby setup, and it’s also obvious you‘ve never seen a Dolby Vision film. Please be quiet.
I think the dude is just wired different. He thinks Forspoken looks good graphically. Iirc he also prefers 30fps modes.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I did seen dv movies. Look jus t like hdr. People make it sound different than hdr but it’s not much different.
In fact it measures basically the same as hdr10… I know it can technically change on scene by scene but it doesn’t look any different or brighter than normal hdr.

As for audio - I do t care about million cables. Headphones are better anyway. I’ve been to the cinema lol. I know how Dolby audio sounds :p

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Double Vision is way better than HDR.
It can reach 10000 nits with 12bits of color with dynamic color mapping.
HDR is limited to 1000 nits and 10bits of color.

HDR10+ was created in response to Dolby Vision but it is still very limited… same 1000 nits and 10bits of color but now with dynamic color mapping (the biggest issue with HDR).

And no… HDR doesn’t look no where as good as Dolby Vision.

If you experienced similar quality is possible due two points:

- The content was made for HDR and after just translated to Dolby Vision (it will be limited to what it was created in HDR).
- Your device screen has specs up to HDR and that Dolby Vision support is limited by these specs (eg. your TV can’t go over 1000 nits or 10bit color depth… and that is the case for all OLEDs).
I’ve also tried comparing some movies myself like King Kong. Dv on Netflix va pirated hdr10 on pc and there is no difference. Dv just gets a lot of praise for technical sheet but if you compare it to hdr10 or 10+ movie whatever, I fail to see the difference. Also, no Dolby vision for movies on pc.
And I dont think the 1000 nits is correct. Most hdr games allow you to calibrate to 4k nits. Wcg viewer confirms it. Why would it be different for movies?
Not that it matters anyway. Oleds are about 800nits anyway and other tvs don’t matter :p

Edit: besides not many if any tvs support real 12but without frc. Let alone enough bandwidth. And it’s not like 12bit is visible… at all

I suggest some reading. The limit is 10k. Not 1000 nits. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision
Even if my tv is only 800nits it is still blinding at night. And with dtm, I can calibrate from source 4000 nits to compress to 800nits. So the tv might only be barely 1k nits but it’s accepting content source up to 4k nits. But it’s not tech limit. Hdr and hdr10 both can do up to 10k nits.

Main difference going for dv is dynamic metadata but not a single game is using it and it’s doing fuck all in movies. And Dolby requires proprietary licenses and software. F them and their scummy marketing. Dolby is a scam and they got you good.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I’ve also tried comparing some movies myself like King Kong. Dv on Netflix va pirated hdr10 on pc and there is no difference. Dv just gets a lot of praise for technical sheet but if you compare it to hdr10 or 10+ movie whatever, I fail to see the difference. Also, no Dolby vision for movies on pc.
And I dont think the 1000 nits is correct. Most hdr games allow you to calibrate to 4k nits. Wcg viewer confirms it. Why would it be different for movies?
Not that it matters anyway. Oleds are about 800nits anyway and other tvs don’t matter :p

Edit: besides not many if any tvs support real 12but without frc. Let alone enough bandwidth. And it’s not like 12bit is visible… at all

I suggest some reading. The limit is 10k. Not 1000 nits. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision
Even if my tv is only 800nits it is still blinding at night. And with dtm, I can calibrate from source 4000 nits to compress to 800nits. So the tv might only be barely 1k nits but it’s accepting content source up to 4k nits. But it’s not tech limit. Hdr and hdr10 both can do up to 10k nits.

Main difference going for dv is dynamic metadata but not a single game is using it and it’s doing fuck all in movies. And Dolby requires proprietary licenses and software. F them and their scummy marketing. Dolby is a scam and they got you good.
Main spec of Dolby Vision content can be created up 10k nits..
But most content in the market reaches only 2-4k nits (because there is no display to show more than that... eventually DV will have content up to 10k nits).
HDR10 content are limited to 1k nits.
The 4k nits calibrate you talking are the TV settnings not how the content was created... you are just articicially boosting the display nits for the whole content.

How can I explain to use better? It is like you calibrated your TV to display the content part with 1000 nits as 2000 nits... while with Dolby Vision you choose to calibrate 1000 nits to display as 1000 nits and when there is parts with 2000 nits it will display 2000 nits... the range that Dolby Vision content can work is way better than HDR10.

Dolby Vision was future proof so yes... TVs today can't reach the max specs of Dolby Vision but I see that as a good thing because you won't need to change standands for several years... while HDR10 and HDR10+ will probably have to be replaced with another standard whatever the TV hardware evolve.

I don't care at all about licenses... that is not something consumers needs to care.
I care about quality and content made for DV wins over content created to HDR10.
Of course there are content that was created as HDR10 and after converted to DV... in that case the content will have no different at all because the source was limited by HDR10... you need to created the content from the very beguining with equipments that supports DV to have a real quality jump over HDR.

Plus OLEDs will limit both HDR and DV... so in both cases the TV won't show what actually was created... the result will be very similar between HDR and DV in OLED... you need a display device that can shows more than 1k nits to really start to see what DV can do and to be fair OLEDs still have a lot to evolve to reach there.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Main spec of Dolby Vision content can be created up 10k nits..
But most content in the market reaches only 2-4k nits (because there is no display to show more than that... eventually DV will have content up to 10k nits).
HDR10 content are limited to 1k nits.
The 4k nits calibrate you talking are the TV settnings not how the content was created... you are just articicially boosting the display nits for the whole content.

How can I explain to use better? It is like you calibrated your TV to display the content part with 1000 nits as 2000 nits... while with Dolby Vision you choose to calibrate 1000 nits to display as 1000 nits and when there is parts with 2000 nits it will display 2000 nits... the range that Dolby Vision content can work is way better than HDR10.

Dolby Vision was future proof so yes... TVs today can't reach the max specs of Dolby Vision but I see that as a good thing because you won't need to change standands for several years... while HDR10 and HDR10+ will probably have to be replaced with another standard whatever the TV hardware evolve.

I don't care at all about licenses... that is not something consumers needs to care.
I care about quality and content made for DV wins over content created to HDR10.
Of course there are content that was created as HDR10 and after converted to DV... in that case the content will have no different at all because the source was limited by HDR10... you need to created the content from the very beguining with equipments that supports DV to have a real quality jump over HDR.

Plus OLEDs will limit both HDR and DV... so in both cases the TV won't show what actually was created... the result will be very similar between HDR and DV in OLED... you need a display device that can shows more than 1k nits to really start to see what DV can do and to be fair OLEDs still have a lot to evolve to reach there.
Hd10 content is not limited to 1k nits.
Read the article I posted. Dv is nothing special

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It’s dependent on the screen. A HDR10 stream will run the same a Dolby vision stream on high end tvs.
Dolby vision works better on lower quality screens than HDR10.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It’s dependent on the screen. A HDR10 stream will run the same a Dolby vision stream on high end tvs.
Dolby vision works better on lower quality screens than HDR10.
I got lg c1. It runs DV on built-in netflix app and not much else.
There is no DV on windows at all. not possible. Not on ps5 either

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Dolby Vision is HDR.
This is Dolby Atmos, not Vision.

DTS X is better than Atmos actually. And PS5 supports it.
The PS5 doesn't support either object-based format at the moment, except of course for the people with the Beta firmware.
And they're both pretty similar. Both Atmos and DTS X are a digital sound format where sound sources are objects with 3D coordinates, and from there it's the decoder that decides which sounds go to which speaker. It's basically a videogame sound engine. And it has height information which can be used for ceiling speakers.
DTS X supports higher bitrate, but it'll be pretty hard to find a sound system where that makes any difference.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The PS5 doesn't support either object-based format at the moment, except of course for the people with the Beta firmware.
And they're both pretty similar. Both Atmos and DTS X are a digital sound format where sound sources are objects with 3D coordinates, and from there it's the decoder that decides which sounds go to which speaker. It's basically a videogame sound engine. And it has height information which can be used for ceiling speakers.
DTS X supports higher bitrate, but it'll be pretty hard to find a sound system where that makes any difference.
Thnks for the clarification.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not sure if I understood correctly here but…

• Dolby Vision is the HDR by Dolby Digital.
  • HDR10 is the HDR by Consumer Technology Association (it is the standard used in Blu-rays).
  • HDR10+ is the HDR by Adobe and Samsung (but a lot of others TVs manufacturers supports it).
  • HLG is the HDR by BBC and NHK used for live TV transmissions.
  • Advanced HDR is the HDR by Technicolor (there are three specs for different uses: HLG like to live transmissions, HDR10+/Dolby Vision like for offline content, and in beta phase a better quality version of the HLG like for live transmissions)..

I think these are the major ones.

Dolby Atmos is about 3D sound… it is not related to Dolby Vision or HDR… it direct concurrent is DTS Virtual: X.