Digital Foundry: Star Wars Jedi Survivor, from one of the worst PC ports to one of the best. Updated 1/11/24 patch notes article.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

But...

Mostly the same issues as before.

• Menu is still somewhat buggy albeit less than before. Sometimes the mouse disappears and it won't register your inputs
  • DLSS is far better than FSR. Cleaner image, less fizzling, better particles resolve
  • CPU-limited performance at low settings has dramatically improved by as much as 25% on a Ryzen 3600 or up to 50% on a 12900K
  • Shader compilation appears on screen at every boot and take 40 seconds on a 12900K but does nothing after the first round
  • Still a stuttery mess no matter your system
  • CPU-limited performance has not improved at Epic or even High settings, it will still tank
  • Frame generation does little to alleviate all the issues. The frame rate is nominally twice as high but the stutters are still just as bad
  • Animation rate and camera still have the same problem where they skip ahead
Updated 1/11/24 added patch notes

Patch 8 Details - January 11​

Patch 8 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S.
This patch introduces two new features and several improvements to Slow Motion in order to make Star Wars Jedi: Survivor accessible to even more players.
  • A new high contrast mode allows players to desaturate the environment and use colors specifically for narrative and gameplay elements, making them stand out more.
  • A new audio ping functionality allows players to both passively and actively ping the environment, giving the ability to echolocate objects and interactable elements nearby.
  • This update includes additional slow motion presets. With this new implementation players can toggle between both their own custom value and three new presets.
    • The presets are set at 30%, 50% and 75% and available through the shortcut menu. This will allow users to switch between multiple different slow motion values, and not just the custom value and the default game speed.
You can find more information on all of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor’s accessibility features here.
This patch also incorporates some fixes for performance and stability across all platforms.
We’re so grateful for the feedback you’ve provided and pleased with the refinements we’ve been able to bring to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor thus far. Of course, our team is always eager to learn more about our players’ needs, so don’t hesitate to let us know if you run into any additional issues.

PREVIOUS UPDATES​

Patch 7.5 Details - October 10​

Last edited:
  • party
Reactions: KiryuRealty

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Around a month after release, I played this game around from start to finish on my system (Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, NVMe PCIe 3 SSD), went close to 100% IIRC.

- FSR2 is fine.
- Performance maxed out at 4K and FSR2 Quality was 45-60 FPS. Perfectly acceptable.
- Traversal stutters did happen, but weren't anywhere near as bad as they claim it is.
- Have no idea about that mouse thing (why on earth would anyone play a 3rd person platformer with kb+m though?)

The game is fine. Haters gonna hate.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
We recently had a new update for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, which brought major improvements to the performance mode on consoles.

Analyzing the new version of the game, Digital Foundry states that Star Wars Jedi: Survivor remains the "worst AAA PC port of 2023", even with the update bringing some improvements.

Among the new features, NVIDIA's DLSS technology has finally been added to the game. Still, performance is still not good enough, with many of the port's issues not having been fixed.One of the game's biggest problems at launch remains present.

Every time the game is opened there is a long shader pre-compilation process, which the channel considers unnecessary and probably a bug. It appears every time you open the game, even though it doesn't seem to do anything after the first time you open it - unnecessary user friction that feels a lot like a bug, still present five months after the game's release. The weird thing about this is that if the game actually pre-caches shaders, it's not doing a particularly good job. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor still has a bunch of shader compilation glitches during gameplay.

For those who depend on TAA or FSR 2, unfortunately the image quality continues to be well below standard. Luckily, RTX owners can now use DLSS, which "does wonders for the game's image quality."

Despite this, the performance remains disastrous. The stutters continue to occur during exploration, regardless of your hardware, which is caused by low CPU usage. On simpler graphics settings there was a small improvement, but on higher settings with Ray Tracing enabled it remains as bad as at launch.

The bottom line is that even on my high-end gaming system, you are CPU limited at reasonable graphics settings and especially with ray tracing. On an older mid-range processor, the game is still a disaster. Technically, the game is better, but that doesn't matter when the main problems since launch haven't been resolved.

• haha
Reactions: Umar

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Around a month after release, I played this game around from start to finish on my system (Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, NVMe PCIe 3 SSD), went close to 100% IIRC.

- FSR2 is fine.
- Performance maxed out at 4K and FSR2 Quality was 45-60 FPS. Perfectly acceptable.
- Traversal stutters did happen, but weren't anywhere near as bad as they claim it is.
- Have no idea about that mouse thing (why on earth would anyone play a 3rd person platformer with kb+m though?)

The game is fine. Haters gonna hate.
I prefer KBM for everything but racing, hack and slash, and fighting games.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
@Gamernyc78 just made a post saying that it’s now one of the best ports?? I’m confused
He and @John Elden Ring are at war about who gets to post first, they are now actively trying to sabotage each other.

It's a vicious circle.

cat fight GIF

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Honestly, most of the games with performance problems are UE games. This game should've been done on Frostbite just like Dead Space

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Damn, they fixed the PS5 one a while back....

It's definitely one of the reasons I have not re-embraced PC gaming. Even with Sony / PS doing so many things to push people away.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Damn, they fixed the PS5 one a while back....

It's definitely one of the reasons I have not re-embraced PC gaming. Even with Sony / PS doing so many things to push people away.
You'll never go PC, you just like to threaten that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Patch 8 Details - January 11​

Patch 8 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S.
This patch introduces two new features and several improvements to Slow Motion in order to make Star Wars Jedi: Survivor accessible to even more players.
  • A new high contrast mode allows players to desaturate the environment and use colors specifically for narrative and gameplay elements, making them stand out more.
  • A new audio ping functionality allows players to both passively and actively ping the environment, giving the ability to echolocate objects and interactable elements nearby.
  • This update includes additional slow motion presets. With this new implementation players can toggle between both their own custom value and three new presets.
    • The presets are set at 30%, 50% and 75% and available through the shortcut menu. This will allow users to switch between multiple different slow motion values, and not just the custom value and the default game speed.
You can find more information on all of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor’s accessibility features here.
This patch also incorporates some fixes for performance and stability across all platforms.
We’re so grateful for the feedback you’ve provided and pleased with the refinements we’ve been able to bring to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor thus far. Of course, our team is always eager to learn more about our players’ needs, so don’t hesitate to let us know if you run into any additional issues.

PREVIOUS UPDATES​

Patch 7.5 Details - October 10​

Last edited: