Director doesn't rule out switching to Unreal Engine 5 for Part 3 of Final Fantasy VII Remake

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
FF7 Rebirth Director Naoki Hamaguchi said Rebirth took 4 years to develop in parallel with FF7R Intergrad. He says they are considering using Unreal Engine 5 for the final game, but believes what players want most is for them to deliver the game in good shape as soon as possible. He says he will make a decision based on whether it will be faster to switch engines or whether it is best to make it all at once as it is now.

We'll have to evaluate the merits and demerits of the engine, but I think it's something to consider - it's similar to considering switching from SVN to Perforce.

Even so, the director understands that the fans want the final part as soon as possible and he doesn't yet know if switching engines could end up lengthening development too much, so it's something he'll have to consider consciously.

But I think what our users are looking for most at the moment is to deliver the last game in the series in good shape as quickly as possible. I'm trying to think about this in a fair way and decide whether the change will speed up the process or whether it's better to create the whole series the way it is now.

Reactions: YeezyDude

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I dont mind, the game will look better graphically on UE5 and UE5 would make it look really good on the Pro as well.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It all depends on the trade-off between new UE5 features(that they haven't engineered themselves) and what their own custom branch of UE4 is capable of doing. There's an argument for both, but unless we know the very specific particular of what's under the hood and what the plan is for Part 3, can't really know the correct decision.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Rebirth already looks great, I thought it was already using UE5. I think that if it looks as good as Rebirth it will be enough, I don't see the need of changing the engine unless it gives them extra performance or something like that.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
While Rebirth was a beautiful game, it suffered a lot from sticking to UE4. Lot of texture loading issues made the game look very inconsistent. If the engine switch brings only improvements and no drawbacks, I'm ok waiting a few months more to have a better product.

• Surprised
Reactions: Airbus

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
I hope so since this won't be out until 2026 at least... So if they move to UE 5 so will they take better advantage of the PS5 Pro for example. But I won't be surprised if they decide to still use UE 4 tbh.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Depends on the type of UE5 game we're talking about.

If they're taking a game written for UE4 and then just switch to UE5 then it's going to be horrible because it'll be a UE4-looking game with all the shader cache problems.

If it's a native UE5 development with proper Nanite and Lumen implementations, then we could be seeing something very special.

Also, the modern UE5 builds are much better performing than the ones we got in 2021 (of which games released in 2023-24 were built on).

Reactions: Entropi

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark

If they're taking a game written for UE4 and then just switch to UE5 then it's going to be horrible because it'll be a UE4-looking game with all the shader cache problems.

If it's a native UE5 development with proper Nanite and Lumen implementations, then we could be seeing something very special.

Also, the modern UE5 builds are much better performing than the ones we got in 2021 (of which games released in 2023-24 were built on).
Agreed... I hope it's done the right way or I think they should stick to UE 4 if the game will have a lot of issues running on UE 5. But I guess we'll see what happens once the game is revealed in 2025 hopefully.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Shader cache problems will be a issue even being native UE5... on PC.

But we are talking here about PS release that won't have any shader cache problems at all no matter UE4 or UE5.
This game releases Exclusive to PS5 for years.

Reactions: YeezyDude

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
UE5 is newer so of course are better than UE4

We re gona see better improvement for part 3

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Eitherway, SE is one of the worst UE developers. They are unable to deliver an UE game that can load its textures.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Eitherway, SE is one of the worst UE developers. They are unable to deliver an UE game that can load its textures.
nah FF7 Remake was amazing, idk what happened with Rebirth. Obviously the scale is much larger but Remake looked better all around.