Disastrous Xbox sales - Is the console war already over? - Toms Guide

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Xbox should have died a long time ago, but they can keep leeching on MS blood forever until something catastrophic happens to Sony and Nintendo.

• sad
Reactions: Diah and toadsage44

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
they sold less than 600k in the biggest month of the year, in their strongest market. they didnt buy abk/bethesda to bolster xbox, they bought them because xbox has failed and need a way out.

D

Deleted member 223

Not dead yet. Knowing how hard MS has been playing this game, there is a lot of time for Xbox still. It's strategic for them. Gotta pound them even harder to chase them out. I see no indication that Sony will do that in the near future. I will be here when the signs do appear and reaffirm them if they do. Business as usual currently.

Reactions: Bryank75

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The sales were already bad but after Activision, with all the marketing trying to associate their IPs with Xbox, the sales crashed even more. Customers are rejecting that toxic brand so hard. It's over.

I noticed that too. The exact opposite of what certain people predicted happened - in terms of the results of the MS acquisitions. I remember people saying that Xbox console sale numbers and Game Pass sub rates were going to skyrocket. It's laughable. While MS was focused on consolidation, Sony and Nintendo completely left them behind.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I don't think their consoles sales will increase much, but I think ABK will give them a massive boost in things like revenue and subs next year unfortunately. I still don't get the logic of people like the ones on the kinda funny Xcast that argue that an oversized Xbox division that has been handed every advantage in the world is somehow good for Playstation fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 223

Platform should have had a Wii U type death releasing in 2020 with no exclusives and little differentiation (same controller, U.I) etc.... coming off a dismal prior generation on top.

Library attachment power for the Xbox hardcore + Covid and PlayStation 5 shortages helped them tremendously to keep a working base afloat. Still, they could have received a worse beating from Sony had some policies been a tad different marketing wise and content wise. Their death is way overdue.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The following will not read as a remotely shocking statement: Microsoft has pretty much lost the console war just three years into this generation.
(...)
this is down to precisely two factors, neither of which are surprising. Factor one: The Xbox Series consoles simply don’t have enough must-play exclusives to entice gamers into parting with their cash to invest in these machines.
(...)
Personally, I think Spencer has done a terrific job since he stepped in as the CEO of Microsoft Gaming. Compared to the disastrous tenure of his predecessor Don Mattrick.

This is next-level reality distortion field.
Phil could drop his pants, take a dump on these people's foreheads and they'd still love him and thank him for his blessed shit running through their eyes.
They even have the gall to call out Don Mattrick in comparison, who oversaw most of the X360's incredibly successful years while Phil drives failure after failure for 10 years straight.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm so sick of hearing that Phil Spencer "gets gaming culture". It happens so often in the gaming/tech press as if a PR person demands they say it.

Spencer has failed just as badly as Mattrick. Is Series X a better box than XBone? Sure, but it's failing all the same. And Series S was an incredibly stupid idea.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think Microsoft's plan is to use ABK to prop everything else up, though I can see a situation where they're more successful off of their console than on it.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Not dead yet. Knowing how hard MS has been playing this game, there is a lot of time for Xbox still. It's strategic for them. Gotta pound them even harder to chase them out. I see no indication that Sony will do that in the near future. I will be here when the signs do appear and reaffirm them if they do. Business as usual currently.
I agree, sony should probably be more aggressive on pricing. They are however doing exactly the bolded by just letting the market react organically. Its so bad Microsoft had to cut the price in America to 150 dollars and recently gave up on Brazil last month. Theyre retreating territories and doing firesales in the only market to try to keep their head above water in the only country that even remotely cares about them.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters