Disney changes tune on physical media / home releases... wider meaning?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

"Disney CEO Bob Iger is putting a singular focus on operating costs companywide as media companies re-evaluate existing “all-in streaming” business strategies that have led to skyrocketing fiscal losses and cooling subscriber growth, including a $1 billion loss at Disney’s direct-to-consumer digital segment in the most recent quarter.

Speaking March 9 at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference in San Francisco, Iger, who prefaced his renewed business outlook by claiming to be bullish on streaming, said the company has to figure out SVOD pricing in order to justify ongoing spending.

Last month, Iger announced companywide job cuts totaling 7,000 as part of an effort to reduce operating costs by more than $5.5 billion.

Calling streaming video the “ultimate” a-la-carte entertainment proposition, Iger said the ease with which consumers can jump and switch between streaming platforms at minimal or no cost has to be rationalized when it comes to subscription pricing.

“In our zeal to grow global subs, I think we were off in terms of that [too low] pricing strategy, and we’re now starting to learn more about it to adjust accordingly,” he said.

When asked about the status of Disney’s majority stake ownership of Hulu, and opportunity to buy Comcast’s remaining 33% stake for a minimum $27.5 billion in 2024, Iger said the current “very tricky” economic environment informs Disney’s future plans with Hulu.

“Before we make any big decisions about our level of investment, our commitment to our business, we want to understand where [Hulu] could go,” he said.

In addition to growing digital subscribers across Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu and Hulu+ Live TV, Iger says renewed focus on platform content spending and distribution has to be put on the table and out of the streaming basket.

Indeed, when David Zaslav became CEO of the new Warner Bros. Discovery media company, he was surprised to find that 60% of the content on HBO Max was not being viewed. That’s a reality apparently not lost on Iger, who abruptly replaced his successor — and big streaming champion — Bob Chapek late last year in part because of ballooning streaming costs and losses.

While admitting Disney+ will not see the “meteoric” subscriber growth experienced upon launch in late 2019, Iger contends the platform remains relatively new in international markets, excluding India, which comprises more than a third of all Disney+ subscribers.

The CEO criticized his predecessor’s business restructuring that he called, “basically a giant revenue-generating division,” that separated distribution, advertising, sales, subscriptions, etc., from content creation, where Iger said all the money was being spent.

“I happen to believe there needs to be a direct connection between what’s being spent and what’s being earned from a revenue perspective,” he said. “It’s all about accountability. It’s about understanding the marketplace, so when you make decisions on spending, it’s tied directly to revenue generation and vice-versa.”

Iger claimed too much was being spent on marketing platforms and not enough on marketing content and programs.

“That needed to be put back together not just for sanity purposes, but also because there are opportunities to reduce expenses,” he said.

“I don’t think it was as efficient as it could have been … or as targeted as it should have been,” he said, in relation to the $3 billion in content spending cuts. “The emphasis needs to be on quality of content, not volume.”

As a result, in addition to delegating operational, marketing and financial responsibilities to business segment senior executives, Iger wants to revisit distributing content across all channels, including legacy home entertainment.

Disney reported a Q1 operating loss of $212 million on revenue of $2.46 billion in its “content sales/licensing and other” segment, in part due to a dearth of home entertainment releases. The decrease in home entertainment results were due to lower unit sales of new release titles, reflecting fewer releases, and catalog titles.

Iger believes the push toward streaming theatrical titles undermined the licensing and retail businesses.

“Home video, at one point as we called it, was extremely lucrative for our company,” Iger said. “We’re looking at all of that [again].”

The CEO believes content can co-exist on traditional distribution platforms and streaming without damaging either due to differing platform audiences.

“It’s already clear to us that the content exclusivity that we felt would be so valuable in growing subscribers was not as valuable as we thought,” Iger said. “While eventually everything will migrate to streaming. We’re not there yet.”"

Does this signal a wind of change for the entertainment industry at large?

With Netflix seeing numbers decrease and Disney in the red, Spotify basically never making money and hurting the entire music industry along with things like Gamepass seemingly not growing anymore beyond 20 to 25 million users* ..... are these companies seeing that streaming just isn't the answer to every distribution question?

Are they seeing that many customers don't like the streaming experience?

Or that collectors and enthusiasts are a much larger and more important contingent than they thought?

How do you think this will effect gaming?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I wonder what they mean by licensing. Is that the reason why we only ever get marvel movies with decent budgets now? Because no one wants to license content to create for their own streaming services?

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I wonder what they mean by licensing. Is that the reason why we only ever get marvel movies with decent budgets now? Because no one wants to license content to create for their own streaming services?

Well I can tell you I would love them to license The Mandalorian to Sony to make a kick-ass game..... as Cory Barlog mentioned on Twitter one time.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Is it not just separation of content?
Like I go on Amazon Prime and it wants me adding sub-subscriptions like STARS or SHUDDER. Or XB GP wants me to add EA Play and whatever Ubi's calling their shit this week on top.

There's still Disney+, Hulu/Max and ESPN streaming, right? Disney own all that. Just have one app/login with different company logo window dressing on the app (like how your Hotmail, outlook, xbox etc are all MS Accounts on the back end). So no matter if you're launching Disney or Hulu apps, it's one content base/one subscription.

Just have a kids mode like Netflix does, that's curated just Disney stuff, which sits within the wider content library-having app.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Re-evaluate the subscription strategy because subscriptions is skyrocketing fiscal losses.

Yup and this is in movies and tv / documentaries where content is far cheaper and faster to make than gaming....

plus even music / spotify is suffering due to the model.

The thing that makes this even more difficult is that places that used to sell CD's and DVD's / Blurays are often gone out of business or scaled back to just a few locations like HMV. Unless they come up with some way to get space in popular stores and make the physical options more accessible again....

It will take a bit of thought.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yup and this is in movies and tv / documentaries where content is far cheaper and faster to make than gaming....

plus even music / spotify is suffering due to the model.

The thing that makes this even more difficult is that places that used to sell CD's and DVD's / Blurays are often gone out of business or scaled back to just a few locations like HMV. Unless they come up with some way to get space in popular stores and make the physical options more accessible again....

It will take a bit of thought.
Gamepass initial strategy is not profit but marketing domination… so MS is not afraid to have loses because after they become the only player they can do whatever they want.

The movie/TV shows market is different because there is already several players and nobody want to take these loses and are starting to reevaluate subscription model.

That is why CMA is not happy with the deal.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Gamepass initial strategy is not profit but marketing domination… so MS is not afraid to have loses because after they become the only player they can do whatever they want.

Yep, they dont mind losing money for now to kill the competition. Like a Trojan horse.
Why the Media and shills kept pushing for Sony and Nintendo to do day 1 subscription for there 1st party games And rave how gamepass is a success and the future.

Its really devious for them to try and convince everyone to change Sony/Nintendo’s model of selling 10’s millions of games to putting it day 1 on subscription and make no money…
Xbox wouldnt be able to do it without MS money

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
The subscription craze is about to end.
Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

D

Deleted member 417

The price for 1 season on dvd was between £15 and £20. Now I can watch all of the seasons of a series for £15 a month, plus access to every other series.

The cost to print, produce and pay a store to sell a dvd is smaller than the cost of running severs, maintenance and support teams 24/7, before we include overheads like electricity cost.

Even Stevie Wonder could see these numbers don't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VillaiN

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Luckily sony and nintendo re not run by idiots. Its crazy to make subs core of bussines. Its viable only as a complementary service.
Gaming s even harder to achieve. It takes 4,5 years to make quality aaa game and it costs, 150M plus. Than u put it on service for 15 a month.
People re bombarded with subs and plans everywhere. Average person can manage few but at some point they ll just cut the cost and wont deal with shit.
Average person doesnt have infinite hours to consume all content they re served. Economy moves in circless and these subscriptions ll be cut first when we go down.
MS s delusional if they think average tv user,android user etc. ll spend 20 a month for gp. They ll manage few million, maybe ten of subs from that segment. They can forget about hundreds of millions or billions of subs lol.
And thats only with current management who cover xbox losses.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The pandemic really fooled the industry into thinking steaming future was here. Everything was growing faster than usual but as we can see now that’s not the case. Which is a good thing.

Physical media sales this year have been very strong.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417