Diversity of genres and gaming niches on the PlayStation platform

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
With so many acquisitions happening, lowering the amount of big AAA games that would once hit the PlayStation ecosystem along with Nintendo's Switch being so different in power terms that some Japanese titles may not target or be desirable on PS5... I am wondering if anyone feels PlayStation is lacking in any genres or has not covered certain niches.

Have the purchases of Obsidian and Zenimax left PlayStation with too little to offer in the WRPG area?

Are there enough JRPG's these days? Should there be more fighting games? Strategy game?

Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein may not be on PlayStation anymore, is there a good alternative? Story based shooters?

What do you think PlayStation has to look into providing more of in the future due to changes in the industry?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I can't believe how F2P Gaas car combat is not a viable genre. Specially since battle royale games took over. 50 cars, huge maps, poweups... Only Sony can bring it back with twisted metal.

You have cars playing football but not shooting each other up?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AAA Survival crafting sandbox type game. Something with minimal cutscenes, no handholding, just a set of tools and a deep gameplay system focused around interactivity with objects and systems. That's Sony's big weakness, they want to shove presentation to the forefront of everything because that's what they're good at. That's why I'm more interested in what Housemarque is working on than almost any other Sony 1st party studio.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
AAA Survival crafting sandbox type game. Something with minimal cutscenes, no handholding, just a set of tools and a deep gameplay system focused around interactivity with objects and systems. That's Sony's big weakness, they want to shove presentation to the forefront of everything because that's what they're good at. That's why I'm more interested in what Housemarque is working on than almost any other Sony 1st party studio.

So, I know it's not survival but IOI does sandbox style games very well in my opinion... would you be supportive of Sony making them an offer to join first party?

It's funny that they used to be part of Square and if Sony had bought Square a few years ago it would have netted them too.

I can't believe how F2P Gaas car combat is not a viable genre. Specially since battle royale games took over. 50 cars, huge maps, poweups... Only Sony can bring it back with twisted metal.

I'd be onboard if they really had a lot of diverse gameplay... like locations with ice and snow, others in the desert, like Dakar. Driving through water slows the car down, ice can make you slide or lose control... collapsing buildings and explosive items in the maps.

Its definitely gonna have MTX, so if we were embracing this idea, I'd like of you could buy branded chassis. So if you wanted to buy a BMW chassis or a Lambo etc you could shell out for that customization.

I think they'd need more than just a combat arena mode though, they might need races with combat too..kinda like mario kart but grittier.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So, I know it's not survival but IOI does sandbox style games very well in my opinion... would you be supportive of Sony making them an offer to join first party?

It's funny that they used to be part of Square and if Sony had bought Square a few years ago it would have netted them too.

I'd be onboard if they really had a lot of diverse gameplay... like locations with ice and snow, others in the desert, like Dakar. Driving through water slows the car down, ice can make you slide or lose control... collapsing buildings and explosive items in the maps.

Its definitely gonna have MTX, so if we were embracing this idea, I'd like of you could buy branded chassis. So if you wanted to buy a BMW chassis or a Lambo etc you could shell out for that customization.

I think they'd need more than just a combat arena mode though, they might need races with combat too..kinda like mario kart but grittier.
Sure, I think IOI could be a good acquisition. It's not a huge dev or publisher so it doesn't disrupt the industry and I do think that they do open ended gameplay pretty well.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sure, I think IOI could be a good acquisition. It's not a huge dev or publisher so it doesn't disrupt the industry and I do think that they do open ended gameplay pretty well.

With a Bond game on the way too, they could potentially be on the verge of a huge breakthrough into the mainstream. Not discounting the success of Hitman or anything!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
With a Bond game on the way too, they could potentially be on the verge of a huge breakthrough into the mainstream. Not discounting the success of Hitman or anything!
Imo Bond IP is kinda dead. Look how badly golden eye did. Same with Indiana Jones. Think the spy genre is a bit old fashioned these days to catch the public imagination, but I could be wrong. Now if this were a futuristic Bond game, maybe.

• brain

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

My opinion is that Rocket League kinda killed a lot of the viability of car combat games. It is so mechanically deep it pretty much ruins any other car combat game. On the other hand the shooting aspect of Twisted Metal isn't really comparable to other shooters

Maybe full scale maps like you said is the key

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Arcade Racers / Kart Racer - they need a GaaS Arcade Racer more open world. Mod Nation Kart Racer would have been a great revival last gen.

Fighting game - it's actually embarrassing the owners of Evo still doesn't have their own in-house successful fighting game or IP.

Survival Crafting - should be covered with Factions 2 (if the game ever comes out)

Uncharted Online - to this day I cannot believe Playstation botched the online aspect of this franchise. Uncharted 3 multiplayer was partially the original Fortnite. All they had to do was remaster it for PS4 and start including Uncharted 4 maps and mechanics. The GaaS foundation was already there. They need to revive this somehow, there's still nothing like it on the market and never will be.

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Right now it just doesn't have enought true exclusives, period, thoufh that is going to change now that crossgen is dead. Anyways, if you factor in third parties I really don't think any non-PC-centric genre is missing.

Having said that, I also think its silly to think that having a game in each genre will generate sales. Much better to dominate certain genres and leave it so that there is no competition in choice for fans of, say, JRPGs or Fighting games (or WRPGs or driving games if you are MS, etc.)

• thisistheway
Reactions: Summer Nightmares

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
With so many acquisitions happening, lowering the amount of big AAA games that would once hit the PlayStation ecosystem along with Nintendo's Switch being so different in power terms that some Japanese titles may not target or be desirable on PS5... I am wondering if anyone feels PlayStation is lacking in any genres or has not covered certain niches.

Have the purchases of Obsidian and Zenimax left PlayStation with too little to offer in the WRPG area?

Are there enough JRPG's these days? Should there be more fighting games? Strategy game?

Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein may not be on PlayStation anymore, is there a good alternative? Story based shooters?

What do you think PlayStation has to look into providing more of in the future due to changes in the industry?
First, they need to secure Japanese contents by buying Square Enix and Capcom because they're the ones with stable releases every year(also Sony need to do something with Sega because phil spencer need to be stopped from taking away persona lol). Second, they need to keep nurturing GAAS games because those kind of games will help the company if one of them turned out to be big success. And I think WRPG is a lost cause, because it's their lost if they skipped Playstation, the most popular console in the world.

• they're_right_you_know