DLSS 3 Mod creator for Jedi Survivor/TLOU and other games adds a DRM to his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
A few days ago, PureDark issued a new update for his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod that added a DRM to it.

This DRM requires you to authenticate your license, so if you don't subscribe to his Patreon for at least $5 a month, then you won't be able to get his mods working for your games

PureDark has implemented this DRM in preparation for the upcoming Starfield DLSS 3 Mod. The modder knows that a lot of people will be interested in it, so he’s doing everything to combat its illegal distribution.

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-DLSS-3-Mod-DRM.jpg

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not a fan of this trend of Patreon walled mods. Hopefully rockstar takes it down.

Imagine having to pay for something it's creator spent time developing and asking for it to be taken down by a company that doesn't give two shits about giving you that functionality.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Imagine having to pay for something it's creator spent time developing and asking for it to be taken down by a company that doesn't give two shits about giving you that functionality.
To be fair, the creator just uses a wrapper provided by NVIDIA and game copy. T2 could within their right strike the mod for commerce lisences.

He could have just asked for donation, or Patreon preview to later update.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Many modders ask for a donation and there's no problem with that. But paywalling it and installing DRM? No way.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
To be fair, the creator just uses a wrapper provided by NVIDIA and game copy. T2 could within their right strike the mod for commerce lisences.

He could have just asked for donation, or Patreon preview to later update.

The creator could have chosen to do fuck all and spend 0 time

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why not? Why do you feel entitled to his work? This entitlement within the PC community is astounding.
See historias post.

Initiatives like this are the ones that get the attention of companies to take mods and romhacks down and end up spoiling the party for the whole modding community.

Reactions: Falcs

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
People are not seeing the issue here.
Mods on games are fair use of the game in so far as you're not profitting off it.
Paywalling a mod (which is not supported by the game maintainers) is an explicit commercial exploitation in contrast. Depending on the game EULA, the publisher may have grounds to take the mod down.
And on top of that, there would be a nasty precedent that publishers would take advantage of to more actively prevent modding.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
People are not seeing the issue here.
Mods on games are fair use of the game in so far as you're not profitting off it.
Paywalling a mod (which is not supported by the game maintainers) is an explicit commercial exploitation in contrast. Depending on the game EULA, the publisher may have grounds to take the mod down.
And on top of that, there would be a nasty precedent that publishers would take advantage of to more actively prevent modding.

Thank you. Most folks here game on consoles so don't understand the precedent set by mods like this one.

What's next? Selling wordpads with ini tweaks?

If you want to get paid, develop your own game. Many games started as mods such as Black Mesa. There were massive Skyrim total conversions that were sold later on Steam. Also games that started as doom wads or build engine mods.

But asking for money and INSTALLING DRM is what breaks it for me.

Hopefully he is being sent a C&D. I mean, rockstar even took down mods that weren't monetized. Wouldn't expect any less from them.

Reactions: Falcs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thanks @Old Gamer and @Systemshock2023

I understood the issue now.
The actual issues is selling something that uses a 3d-party art/assets... in the case the modder is selling his work using the works of other part (the publisher/developer) so it should be illegal indeed (unless you have the concent of the 3rd-party developer/publisher).

Reading the Steam Modding policies that is indeed the case... you can't tie a Pateon to sell your mods based in a game from a 3rd-party unless that 3rd-party allowed it.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Thanks @Old Gamer and @Systemshock2023

I understood the issue now.
The actual issues is selling something that uses a 3d-party art/assets... in the case the modder is selling his work using the works of other part (the publisher/developer) so it should be illegal indeed (unless you have the concent of the 3rd-party developer/publisher).

Reading the Steam Modding policies that is indeed the case... you can't tie a Pateon to sell your mods based in a game from a 3rd-party.

Yes. For example, the folks that worked on Black Mesa struck a deal with Valve to release their game on Steam as, it was using valves IP. Valve, even provided support to finish the last chapter of the game.

Reactions: ethomaz

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I';; be completely honest that as I've moved to PC gaming I've come to like free things, but I have no problem paying to access certain mods like rtgi from whats his face. So I can see both sides of the coin. I do expect this to blow up with either the PC piracy/modding community or a major company taking notice and taking him down.

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
The guy is using someone else's IP to create his "product". He has no right to demand money for it. Don't want to work for free? Then quit. Or make your own game.