Do Xbox fans even care about major game releases anymore?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I keep seeing roadmaps posted and these huge celebrations for winning “SGF” or “E3” but another year goes by and still there has not been a solid GOTY contender released from them. I see people starting to pile on Geoff Keighley and calling him a shill in what I assume is just a preview for all the shit that’s going to happen again when an xbox game isn’t nominated for GOTY.

We’re halfway through september going into the 10th month of the year and the promise of xbox having a big year with games such as Avowed (delayed), Replaced (delayed), Indiana Jones (December release), Towerborne (delayed on console), etc. It feels like their fans just do not care anymore. I still see the same people still highly optimistic and enthusiastic for the xbox brand despite them still not releasing any of their promised major first party games.

What is there to look forward to the rest of the year now? Shattered Space, the DLC for Starfield. Flight Sim 2025 which is an extravagant update to 2021, and STALKER which is a lower budget 3rd party timed exclusive. Where is the packed fall from xbox?

Are we just going to do this every year until the end of the generation again? I wouldn’t mind but it seems like the media and a lot of gaming fans are so laser focused on sony and nintendo no one is really holding Microsoft or Phil Spencers feet to the fire on any of this?

Last edited:

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I just look forward to games I enjoy. I like way more non GOTY games than GOTY games.

This.

Since 2010 -

2010: RDR (owned it, barely played it, never went back to it and never will)
2011: TES V: Skyrim (will never play this game)
2012: The Walking Dead from Telltale (played and completed, it's a 7.0/10 game, Far Cry 3 was robbed)
2013: The Last of Us (also my 2013 goty and 360/PS3 gotg)
2014: Dragon Age Inquisition (will never play this game)
2015: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (played to completion twice and both expansions once, my 2015 goty and my PS4/XBO gotg)
2016: Uncharted 4 (played and completed, great 8.5/10, was so disappointed with the story and narrative, more of a soap opera drama than anything else, ugh)
2017: The Legend of Zelda: BOTW (played for 22 hours and by hour 20, I knew it was done, traded it in the next day and will never play it again and will never try out TOTK either)
2018: God of War (played and completed, my 2022 goty)
2019: Death Stranding (will never play this game)
2020: The Last of Us Part II (played and completed, great 8.5/10, like Uncharted 4, very disappointed with the story which is nowhere close to the 2013 original, ugh)
2021: It Takes Two (will never play this game)
2022: Elden Ring (will never play this game)
2023: Baldur's Gate III (will never play this game)

Out of the game of the year winners in the last 14 years, I played 8 games, completed 6 games with 3 of them being my goty while the other 6 games, I will never play. Overall, I only had 3 out of 14 games that were my goty and the overall critics goty. This generation snce November 2020, im 0 for 3 in regards to even playing the game that won goty. lol

Microsoft though has given me two game of the years and my game of the generation thus far -

1. Starfield - 9.5/10 (my current game of the generation, love Starfield and yes, im super hyped for Shattered Space!!)
2. God of War Ragnarok - 9.5/10 (my 2022 game of the year)
3. Halo Infinite - 9.5/10 (campaign only, my 2021 game of the year, recently played through all the Halo games and Reach is by far the closest to Infinite for me, actually want to replay Infinite which I can guarantee is something I will never ever do with all the previous Halo games as once was more than enough)

So while Microsoft will most likely never get a game of the year winner by critics, I don't have any complaints. lol 😂

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They ever cared about games?
Maybe about Gears in 360 gen?

IMO at least the vocal social guys always cared more about the war of beating PlayStation than play games.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
People like Gene Park declared that 2024 was going to be the "year of Xbox", meanwhile the only game Xbox studios put out this year was Hellblade 2--a boring six hour graphics tech demo.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What xbox fans?
Ricky, I think that's the one.

More seriously, the ones I see on my feed are strange people focused on being serious about xbox (pay the highest tier of GP for some reason)... and bashing Sony games.

So yes they care, it makes them content.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The IGN poll gave us a taste of how it's going to go for 2024. 4 Sony-published games in the top 10 and 6 PS5 exclusives. A massacre 😬

Once again Xbox is really not part of the zeitgeist. They rely on shills like Taul Passy, Jez and Imran Ironclad to stay relevant.