Dragons Dogma 2 | Preview Thread

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Variosu medias and outlets are releasing the first previews for Dragon's Dogma 2.

These previews are spoiler free

Blogposts:

VGC interview with Capcom director Hideaki Itsuno and producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi:

It’s been over a decade since Dragon’s Dogma first released. What took so long for a sequel and was there a driving factor to getting Dragon’s Dogma 2 made?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi:
First and foremost, if Itsuno-san doesn’t have time to be the director of the game, it can’t really get made. So having an opportunity to have him spend the time he needed on the game and being able to bring together the other resources needed, such as a large team to work on a game with this scope, just took some years for that all to really fit together. And then once it did, we got started.
Having played the preview build, it strikes us how much it feels like the first game. Given how the fantasy action RPG has evolved since then, were there elements from other games you wwre inspired by for this sequel?

Hideaki Itsuno:
I would actually say GTA 5. I kind of admired how they were able to create a world in which it really felt like the NPCs were going about their lives independently of the player. All kinds of interesting emergent behaviour could happen whenever you were exploring the city and all kinds of weird accidents felt like it would happen whether you were there or not. That feeling of a living world is something that I’ve definitely tried to achieve in Dragon’s Dogma 2.
Back to the pawns then, we noticed from different save states in the preview that there are pawns with the same name or vocation but different appearances. Are there set pawns in the full game or is it going to be unique or randomised?

Itsuno:
In the full game, it's not 'random', but it will be an intentional mixture of different pawns that you could meet. Some of them will be players you don't know but we're trying to mix it in so that you might for example meet some of your friends' pawns, or pawns you borrowed before will reappear and you'll feel like, 'oh, I know that guy' and then you can add him to your party again and see what else he's learned while he's been away from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sircaw

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

Having played the preview build, it strikes us how much it feels like the first game. Given how the fantasy action RPG has evolved since then, were there elements from other games you were inspired by for this sequel?

Hideaki Itsuno:
I would actually say GTA 5. I kind of admired how they were able to create a world in which it really felt like the NPCs were going about their lives independently of the player. All kinds of interesting emergent behaviour could happen whenever you were exploring the city and all kinds of weird accidents felt like it would happen whether you were there or not. That feeling of a living world is something that I’ve definitely tried to achieve in Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Game needs to get up to date with the industry. These previews and gameplay have deflated my interest for it. Graphics are OK. Monsters are super tanks and slow as hell. Wait and see on this one.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Looks like everything I've wanted for a sequel. Cannot wait. DD is one of the best RPGs of all time.