Dualsense - Do battery life improve on PS5 games?

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
So I think Sony stealth improve these things battery at least compared to launch.

Launch controller would get me 4-6h at launch. To be fair I always put it close to the desk with USB cable so I can charge it at anytime.

So since then I have been ignoring battery on controller but I noticed the new controller battery(12xx model) have been significant better. So I decide to test since Christmas and surprising results. Full haptics and trigger effect, light bar set to low.

Launch(10xx) controller:

GT7(PS5): 8hrs
Demons Souls: 9hrs
War Thunder(PS5): 9hrs
War Thunder(PS4): 5hrs

New(12xx) controller:

GT7(PS5): 9hrs
Demons Souls: 9hrs
War Thunder(PS5): 10hrs
War Thunder(PS4): 5hrs

I think they improve the controller battery life significantly at least on the PS5 games. The number is somewhere close to PS4 Slim controller.

Playing GT7 on Dualsense in surprising fun but I can't use to shifting gears on buttons I can only use Automatic Tranmissions.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Our very own @Gediminas did something similar a few months ago and would be an excellent contributor to this thread.

Charging Low Power GIF

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Our very own @Gediminas did something similar a few months ago and would be an excellent contributor to this thread.

Charging Low Power GIF
launch controller gave me 6-8h. not that long.

so i bought new batteries from aliexpress, if i am not mistaken, 3200mhv, and the time doubled for gaming. it last good 16-18h now. payed like 16€ for two batteries with shipping. no brainer upgrade.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Just pointing out that these batteries degrade over time so it's not surprising that a launch controller gets worse life than a new one. I've been contemplating replacing the battery in my ds edge but don't want to mess it up as it's expensive.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Just pointing out that these batteries degrade over time so it's not surprising that a launch controller gets worse life than a new one. I've been contemplating replacing the battery in my ds edge but don't want to mess it up as it's expensive.
There's an EU regulation in the works that enforces portable devices to allow battery replacement. Whether it will amount to anything, and indeed whether wireless console controllers would fall into the purview of this rule remains to be seen.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's an EU regulation in the works that enforces portable devices to allow battery replacement. Whether it will amount to anything, and indeed whether wireless console controllers would fall into the purview of this rule remains to be seen.
I mean the batteries in the controllers are already "replaceable" but the last time I tried to service a dualsense (for stick drift) I accidentally broke a ribbon cable by yanking it too hard out of the mainboard... wasting the better part of an hour of work and ruining the controller outright. I decided afterwards it wasn't worth it to mess with that shit.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I mean the batteries in the controllers are already "replaceable" but the last time I tried to service a dualsense (for stick drift) I accidentally broke a ribbon cable by yanking it too hard out of the mainboard... wasting the better part of an hour of work and ruining the controller outright. I decided afterwards it wasn't worth it to mess with that shit.
Yeah, what I mean is that devices would need to make the battery easily accessible for aftermarket replacement, thus leaving no argument for voiding warranty, etc.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
you realize if you have at least two controllers you wont have issue with baterry problem solved

Playstation Controllers GIF by SiteShopB

Last edited:
Reactions: Box