Dying Light Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
dying-light-2-review-00.jpg

Dying Light franchise consist of 2 games : Dying Light and Dying Light 2. Both games are in a survival horror genre and are developed by Techland.

Dying Light game's story follows an undercover agent named Kyle Crane who is sent to infiltrate a quarantine zone in a Middle-eastern city called Harran. It features an enemy-infested, open-world city with a dynamic day–night cycle, in which zombies are slow and clumsy during daytime but become extremely aggressive at night. The gameplay is focused on weapons-based combat and parkour, allowing players to choose fight or flight when presented with dangers. The game also features an asymmetrical multiplayer mode, and a four-player co-operative multiplayer mode.

The game was released on 27th January, 2015 for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. Dying Light was re-released and bundled with all of its DLC for the "Platinum Edition", the game came to PlayStation 4, PC and Xbox One on 27th May, 2021. Techland released the same edition for Nintendo Switch on 19 October 2021. The game was also released for the PlayStation 5 on 8 March 2022. A performance patch was released for Xbox Series X and Series S on 21 March 2022.

Dying Light 2 is the sequel to Dying Light. The game is set in the city of Villedor, 22 years after Dying Light and it stars a new protagonist named Aiden Caldwell. Aiden Caldwell, an infected survivor looking for his sister in the City where the player encounters and has the choice to aid various factions that are based within it that affect your outcome and gameplay. The game is set in 2036, 22 years after the events of Dying Light and 15 years after The Fall, a catastrophic event in late December 2021 where a new mutant strain of the Harran Virus breached GRE containment and spread across the world, plunging it into a period known as the Modern Dark Ages.

Dying Light 2 was released on February 4th, 2022 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S and PC.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Wait, Dying Light 2 actually came out? I literally thought it was still in development hell simillar to Dead Island 2.

I must tell my brothers, they enjoy the DI/DL series much more than me, but aren't super glued into gaming. I'm just happy DL corrected DI's most annoying limitation for me, not letting me use my brother's lighting knife becasue I'm not level 40 yet. I'm quite happy just taking a backseat in these games using overpowered weapons, for the social aspect of playing my brothers.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Never played either of them. Worth a try?

If you had to sell me on the franchise, what would you say?

2 is on sale on PSN at the moment BTW!

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Well, I'll give you my short example of DL1. I'm not a fan of open world games, I just hoped the gameplay/story would carry me through overiding my dislike for the genre.

There was something where it was trapse across the world from point A to B, then back again, now go to point C that you just passed on your way back. I couldn't be doing with fetch quest bollocks. The gameplay I actually enjoyed, when I wasn't being limited by having baby bitch stats. I can't run for long because my stamina wasn't good enough.

I was content to get handed rediculous overpowered weapons by my brothers and trail along behind them having a laugh. At least DL1 corrected Dead Island's mistake where it didn't tell me 'you're not powerful enough to use this weapon, come back at level 40'. But I'd sort of like a sandbox mode without the story-timed/story-based stat grind included. Games used to be funner, right?

Maybe it's more me verses the game, or the genre, I had fun, but didn't feel invested, personally. Compare that to L4D series and I've played tonnes of that. Hopefully if there's less grind-based longevity padding and more opportunities for fun emergeant gameplay, the series will continue to inch more towards my liking lol.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Any examples of what you didnt like in the first?

• Combat is massively improved, everything felt spongy in the original and even on hard it feels balanced.
  • Subtle moves added to both parkour and combat fill out some obvious gaps in the original, feels like what I thought Mirrors Edge catalyst would feel like which is absolutely bizarre to type lol
  • Looting is improved, weird plus but you'll know what I mean if you played the original it just doesn't waste your time
  • Story has choices you can make that are based around what fits your playstyle in terms of bonuses
  • Guns are removed, there's a crossbow and bow/arrow though
  • Night time gameplay has some oomph to it, I thought the whole YOULL TURN IF YOU STAY IN THE DARK stuff would be bothersome but the way it's handled keeps you moving and planning your run through an area

• brain

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • Combat is massively improved, everything felt spongy in the original and even on hard it feels balanced.
  • Subtle moves added to both parkour and combat fill out some obvious gaps in the original, feels like what I thought Mirrors Edge catalyst would feel like which is absolutely bizarre to type lol
  • Looting is improved, weird plus but you'll know what I mean if you played the original it just doesn't waste your time
  • Story has choices you can make that are based around what fits your playstyle in terms of bonuses
  • Guns are removed, there's a crossbow and bow/arrow though
  • Night time gameplay has some oomph to it, I thought the whole YOULL TURN IF YOU STAY IN THE DARK stuff would be bothersome but the way it's handled keeps you moving and planning your run through an area

So, you'd probably advise me to go straight to the second game?

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They have an edition that has all the dlc + expansion bundled. They supported that game for a long time so it's content rich.
Didn't play the second one, but the first was amazing. Especially with the 60 FPS patch, it rocks.

First one so..... and wait for the second to get everything in one bundle seems to be the wise option. :D

Reactions: Deleted member 38

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
First one so..... and wait for the second to get everything in one bundle seems to be the wise option. :D
You know, from people I know and used to play some multiplayer with, I heard the second one is a marginal improvement on the first one, but it became bloated with so many activities that at some point you lose interest. Kind of, more is better. I am not sure though, I will definitely play it myself at some point, but not at full price.

• brain
P

peter42O

Played Dying Light back in January 2015 at launch and couldn't get into it. Gave it a second chance a year later with the Enhanced Edition and The Following expansion and it clicked. Great game. Absolutely love Dying Light 2. I enjoyed the story, characters, world, music is excellent, voice acting is solid but most of all, loved the combat. By far the best melee combat that I have ever played in a first person game surpassing Dishonored 2 in my opinion. It feels great, weighty based on the weapon you're using and just so much fun. Parkour is also excellent. Seriously, I love this freaking game. Was disappointed that the first expansion was delayed but if it makes it better than I have no issue waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.