EA Sports FC 24 topped physical game sales in Europe in the first half of 2024

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1721855562892.png

That’s according to information published on Wednesday by market research company GfK Entertainment, which said EA’s multiplatform football game beat two Nintendo-published Switch exclusives to the top spot.

The data covers sales of boxed games in Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and the UK

EA Sports FC 24, which was released in September 2023, claimed the number one spot in all 17 countries surveyed.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which was released last October, was the second best-selling game overall, ahead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which continues to perform strongly over seven years since its April 2017 release.

GfK announced the top three sellers for each of the markets surveyed. Grand Theft Auto V made four appearances across the charts, NHL 24 made three, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 made two, while Hogwarts Legacy, Princess Peach: Showtime! and Minecraft each appeared once.

EA Sports FC 24 also topped the European software chart for the first half of the year when factoring in digital sales data alongside physical sales.

That’s according to GSD data published by GamesIndustry.biz, which covers physical game sales from major markets and digital sales from most leading publishers, excluding Nintendo and 505 Games.

Helldivers 2 charted at No.2 on the combined physical and digital sales chart, ahead of Grand Theft Auto 5 at No.3.

It’s worth noting that digital sales of leading physical titles like Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe weren’t included in this data. Palworld data also wasn’t tracked.

1721856060734.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The news pic.

european-bestsellers.jpg

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
FIFA will regret taking the license from EA especially when their game is years away.

Idiots.
I think its far more likely that EA is the one who walked. Unlike with NBA and the other US sports FIFA doesn't control the leagues/teams or the player likenesses (controlled by player's unions in the U.S.,) they add the World Cup and the series' title but literally nothing else.

And bear in mind, sales actually are down compared to FIFA '23, its just that they aren't down enough for EA to regret its decision-and are probably going to go away once the really clueless folks catch on to EA FC being the old game series with a new name.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think its far more likely that EA is the one who walked. Unlike with NBA and the other US sports FIFA doesn't control the leagues/teams or the player likenesses (controlledby player'sunions in the U.S.,) they add the World Cup and the series' title but literally nothing else.

And bear in mind, sales actually are down compared to FIFA '23, its just that they aren't down enough for EA to regret its decision-and are probably going to go away once the really clueless folks catch on to EA FC being the old game series with a new name.

They did walk away because of the price and FIFA thinking it is their name selling the games.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe FIFA was asking 1 billion every four years for the license.

FIFA’s loss more than EA.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think its far more likely that EA is the one who walked. Unlike with NBA and the other US sports FIFA doesn't control the leagues/teams or the player likenesses (controlled by player'sunions in the U.S.,) they add the World Cup and the series' title but literally nothing else.

The down is very small.

In their earning call EA said they sold 5% less in 2023 for EA Sports than FIFA in 2022.
One country example was UK that had: 2.25m (EA Sport 24) vs 2.39m (FIFA 23).

I'm not even sure if the 5% down is due the brand change of just typical year drop / rise... I mean some year drops and the next rise like some people only buys it each 2 years.