Eiji Aonuma on Zelda TotK: "We've no plans to release additional content, we feel that we've done all we can to create games in that world"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
--I see. Now I would like to ask you about the next production, which I am anxious to hear about....... Is it a sequel, a new setting, or something else?

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next production or not, but I am thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. What form that will take, I can only say that at this point we don't know.

Aonuma: There are no plans to release additional content this time, but that's because I feel like I've done everything I can to create games in that world. In the first place, the reason why we chose this time as a sequel to the previous game is because we thought there would be value in experiencing a new kind of play in that place in Hyrule. Then, if such a reason is newly born, it may return to the same world again. Whether it's a sequel or a new work, I think it will be a completely new way to play, so I'd be happy if you could look forward to it.

--I think that the hurdle that was raised with "Breath of the Wild" has now been surpassed again with "Tears of the Kingdom," and players' expectations have been raised even higher that the company will make something even more amazing, but……

Aonuma: Fujibayashi and the rest of the development team do not consider this a hurdle, so please keep your expectations high!

Interview via Famitsu, and translated through DeepDL

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Good. Time for something else I think.
A more linear/traditional Zelda, with all the items and everything, but with the physics of BOTW/TOTK and combat of Twilight Princess.👌

You can’t release DLC for DLC, it would cause rifts in reality!
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I like that they didn't release dlc for the game (could change in the future though.) It seems to just give devs a excuse to create poor products and siphons away my attention towards cheaper alternatives whenever I see and in all honesty nintendo's not really too keen on dlc.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
The game is so content rich and massive, it doesn’t need DLC.