Eiyuden Chronicles is target of critiscism due to western localization

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Eiyuden Chronicles has released today and much like Persona 3 Reload, players quickly noticed how different the translation is from the actual japanese:

eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-localization-v0-kxx39e7of1wc1.jpeg

GLzDGWfawAErtZF

One of the most strange localization choices is the inclusion of the term 'CHUD', which is completely out of context from the original japanese release:

HGST0Fr.jpeg

This led to very negative critiscism on social media and on The Steam Community page, which is full of people with negative sentiment, some of the most upvoted threads being for refunds:

Refunded the Game because of the localization:
I love the Suikoden franchise and this game has been a dream come true for reviving the interest in the games, but with this translation i rather have nothing at all. It is an insult towards the developer, the game itself and the fanbase to have this game defiled in this matter. I can handle some errors because of culture differences and grammar mistakes, but this is more than i can take.
Such a shame:
Was looking forward to the spiritual successor of Suikoden, but think I'd rather stay with the timeless classics.
Funding activist "localizers" who butcher the script is not on my radar. Worse yet; banning people from calling it out.
Hard pass.
Examples of the poor localization quality
This is not a thread for people who blindly accept any complaints about localization and things like that as "minor" What I am asking for is actual examples of the poor quality of the localization to judge if the game is even worth playing or not, in English anyway. Not just a general feel thing, but specific sentences and examples please.
Despite the negative reception, there isnt seem to be much of an impact.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zzero

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
These changes don't really seem like that big of a deal. I had this game preordered, but ultimately cancelled my preorder because Amazon said it wouldn't arrive until May 2. Some of the baffling old school decisions they made turn me off as well, such as only having 30 inventory slots. It's like Legend of Dragoon all over again. I never played any of the Suikoden games and I know that's what they were going for with this so I'm guessing they also have a limited inventory, but there are some things that are more of a hindrance than anything else. I can't imagine anyone would kick up a fuss about this game straying from the old school style just because it has unlimited inventory slots.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
back in my day, we took our Spoony Bards and "this guy are sick" lines and we liked it

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
ugh, weirdos being weirdos again. it's been standard practice to change the lines somewhat to account for the character personality archetype. these changes are not a big deal and people are losing their minds over nothing. Wake me up when the english localizers pull something like making a character a different gender or sexuality than intended, then we can be outraged.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't even read 99% of the text in my games,

Skip, Skip, Skip.

Whats up skip.