End of an era: Anandtech shuts down (site will remain; no more reviews going forward)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
link

It is with great sadness that I find myself penning the hardest news post I’ve ever needed to write here at AnandTech. After over 27 years of covering the wide – and wild – word of computing hardware, today is AnandTech’s final day of publication.

For better or worse, we’ve reached the end of a long journey – one that started with a review of an AMD processor, and has ended with the review of an AMD processor. It’s fittingly poetic, but it is also a testament to the fact that we’ve spent the last 27 years doing what we love, covering the chips that are the lifeblood of the computing industry.

A lot of things have changed in the last quarter-century – in 1997 NVIDIA had yet to even coin the term “GPU” – and we’ve been fortunate to watch the world of hardware continue to evolve over the time period. We’ve gone from boxy desktop computers and laptops that today we’d charitably classify as portable desktops, to pocket computers where even the cheapest budget device puts the fastest PC of 1997 to shame.

The years have also brought some monumental changes to the world of publishing. AnandTech was hardly the first hardware enthusiast website, nor will we be the last. But we were fortunate to thrive in the past couple of decades, when so many of our peers did not, thanks to a combination of hard work, strategic investments in people and products, even more hard work, and the support of our many friends, colleagues, and readers.

Still, few things last forever, and the market for written tech journalism is not what it once was – nor will it ever be again. So, the time has come for AnandTech to wrap up its work, and let the next generation of tech journalists take their place within the zeitgeist.
More at the link

Reactions: John Elden Ring

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It felt weird when people believed in Hardware Unboxing lies while not even checked the AnadTech reviews 🤷‍♂️

24 Jun 2022
Dang, that kinda sucks. I really enjoy the in-depth tech write-ups they've had on different consoles and emerging technologies. Those were very helpful and detailed, while still being easy to follow along.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
End of an era. My to go resource alongside computer base.de guru3d and Tom's hardware. Before tech you tubers became q thing.

PC hardware is not as exciting as it once was. So there's a lot less to review.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
End of an era. My to go resource alongside computer base.de guru3d and Tom's hardware. Before tech you tubers became q thing.

PC hardware is not as exciting as it once was. So there's a lot less to review.
people still check tom's hardware? common sentiment is they fell off a long while back

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
No way! This site always hypnotized me with its in-depth knowledge of hardware.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
A shame that such a tech journalism reference ended.

I think the writing was on the wall since Ian Cutress left, as they kept losing their content creators and refused to evolve towards the video format and the content got scarcer every year. Ryan was the best at GPU reviews yet his last review is like 5 years old.

I guess Chips And Cheese is the only site that still provides an experience similar to what Anandtech did.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's tough to keep a site going. Balancing wages, content and keeping an audience engaged.

There's always been a lot of competition and it's very easy to alienate people.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's tough to keep a site going. Balancing wages, content and keeping an audience engaged.

There's always been a lot of competition and it's very easy to alienate people.
Really what killed it is that they were sold to a holding company that buys up sites like this, same company owns Tom's hardware and there was a similar decline there. Online web articles haven't been profitable in a decade, if ever... So it was bound to happen.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They should've evolved. They have everything to be successful, but it is the usual fate of whoever get absorbed by larger corporates.