Epic Games to update Unreal Engine pricing for devs not making games. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney says the company began running into financial problem

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

A week after laying off almost 900 employees, Epic Games announced that it's increasing the price to use Unreal Engine—just not for the game development community.

The news came from Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney himself in a presentation at Unreal Fest 2023. In a video captured by Fortnite Creative developer Immature (and spotted by Game World Observer), Sweeney explains that developers using Unreal Engine in the film, TV, automotive, and other industries can expect to start paying a per-seat licensing fee.
He claimed that the pricing model will not be "unusually expensive or unusually inexpensive," and that its pricing structure will be similar to subscription services like Maya or Photoshop. Sweeney said he wanted to announce these changes now in the name of "transparency."
He also shed some light on the business decisions that led to the company making unexpectedly significant business shifts in the last week. Apparently Epic Games began running into "financial problems" about 10 weeks ago, meaning that the company was facing some sort of financial downturn from late July through September.
Evidently, all of Epic Games' business had been "heavily funded by Fortnite" in the last six years, and different parts of the company became "disconnected" from their revenue streams. It adds some context to previous comments made by Sweeney about the impact of declined Fortnite revenue—if the company's signature game had started to not turn a profit, other parts of Epic Games may not have easily been able to make up for declining revenue.
How did you solve your Game Dev challenge? Share your story Share your game dev experience, knowledge and ideas with the largest community of game developers in the world
Developers worried about the state of the Epic Games Store should take some relief from Sweeney's speech as well. He stated that the company will continue to develop and support the storefront, saying it is the "cure to the disease" supposedly infecting the video game industry.

Epic's business model shift will likely go better than Unity's​

Sweeney didn't mention Unity by name in his speech but he did allude to "other engine's royalties" being discussed in the game industry. Unity is of course the only other game engine maker to recently adopt a revenue-sharing fee, in a series of announcements that went over poorly with its development community.
Because Epic is not changing the amount of royalties it collects for games made on Unreal Engine (it only takes five percent of revenue after developers earn over $1 million in revenue), this week's announcements will not likely drive away developers who rely on the game-making software.
The adoption of a per-seat licensing plan for other industries is also not likely to cause much of a stir, so long as the pricing changes don't risk disrupting entire company's business models.
What developers will need to mull over is if they're interested in following Sweeney and Epic Games on their mission to build an actual functioning metaverse. In his speech and statements around last week's layoffs, Sweeney remained committed to the idea of building interconnected online worlds. It's a business ambition that goes beyond building engine technology and entertainment products—and it's a vision seemingly abandoned by a large portion of the software industry.
What is frustrating about Sweeney's speech is that however effective Epic Games' business shift turns out to be, it will have made that transition on the backs of the almost-900 employees it put out of work last week. Though said layoffs came with promises of hefty severance bonuses and maintained support for health insurance, it's hard to reconcile Sweeney's desire to build a better game industry with a move that exemplifies how the game industry can chew people up and spit them right out

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
While nobody delivery games on that turd there is no revenue.
I’m not sure but if they didn’t improve a lot the engine it will probably be a failure.

EGS is an epic failure… just eat money.

Fortnite is what holds Epic… if they lose it 😱

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Might as well invest in NFTs while trying to build the metaverse.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I mean if he took down fortnite and focused on the game engine then they’ll save a ton Of cash instead of burning it on unprofitable online infrastructures.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Entropi
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean if he took down fortnite and focused on the game engine then they’ll save a ton Of cash instead of burning it on unprofitable online infrastructures.
What do you mean? Fortnite is one of the most profitable games in the world. Maybe I'm reading wrong what your saying.

Reactions: ethomaz and Zzero

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Fortnite is what save the company.
If they where only Fortnite then they could probably be on of the most profitable game company in the world.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
All those business majors infesting games should wake up and take a look at this before tryi g to be the company that only does one thing. Great for stock holders, incredibly risky for businesses.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
What do you mean? Fortnite is one of the most profitable games in the world. Maybe I'm reading wrong what you’re saying.

No I’m being retarded with what im saying. It’s profitable but once consumers lose interest I wonder what they’ll fall back on.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sad to hear they're continuing to foist their terrible, primitive store+launcher on PC players. They're contributing to the idea that PC gaming is annoying and complicated because their shit makes PC gaming annoying and complicated. I probably wouldn't hate Epic if they just focused on their engine and making games. Tim Sweeney is insufferable tho.

Reactions: Box

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Oh I wonder how epic would run into money issues. It wouldn't be that money pit of a store would it?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
No I’m being retarded with what im saying. It’s profitable but once consumers lose interest I wonder what they’ll fall back on.
Fortnite will still be a thing ten years from now imo. This is epics centerpiece and money maker and they do a great job keeping it fresh. This is the epitome and template of what a gaas game should look like to be a success.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is a good point.
For now Fortnite is what save Epic.
But what will happen if the kids stop to play Fortnite?

I think they need to continue making Fortnite relevant while work in others areas to be profitable.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Fortnite will still be a thing ten years from now imo. This is epics centerpiece and money maker and they do a great job keeping it fresh. This is the epitome and template of what a gaas game should look like to be a success.

I’m not certain about the f2p Longetivity. Yeah you got a lot of these f2p games going on at the Moment but as time goes on I wonder if it’ll keep the consumers interest.
That is a good point.
For now Fortnite is what save Epic.
But what will happen if the kids stop to play Fortnite?

I think they need to continue making Fortnite relevant while work in others areas to be profitable.

Maybe the better course of action would be to make their online store sustainable somehow. Only reason people pay it any heed is because of free games but if games were generally cheaper on epic that could help them get things together.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I’m not certain about the f2p Longetivity. Yeah you got a lot of these f2p games going on at the Moment but as time goes on I wonder if it’ll keep the consumers interest.

Maybe the better course of action would be to make their online store sustainable somehow. Only reason people pay it any heed is because of free games but if games were generally cheaper on epic that could help them get things together.
Fortnite released 6 years ago and is still the number 1 ftp goto shooter. They constantly do collaborations, update, shit they even updated the engine. It will have longevity. I give credit where it's due and epic are masterclass with Fortnite.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Most of their revenue and profits comes from Fortnite. But like any other game, over time its popularity decreases so he has to make sure that other projects are sustainable by themselves because some day Fortnite will no longer be there to pay the party.

By what he says, seems this already started to happen, and that UE and the store were unprofitable by themselves and relied on Fortnite, so he decided to adress it with the pricings on UE for non-gaming uses.

He needs the store because having all their games there help them to save the 30% cut on other PC stores.

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Fortnite released 6 years ago and is still the number 1 ftp goto shooter. They constantly do collaborations, update, shit they even updated the engine. It will have longevity. I give credit where it's due and epic are masterclass with Fortnite.

Well yeah they keep doing expensive televidiom franchise crossovers and stuff. That costs quite a bit of money to do and they need them to keep the game popular. Just seems like the game will eventually be the end of their company though. They make a ton of profits and Those rise every year. but as that game keeps getting more popular then the popularity wanes it becomes harder to sustain it. I think thats where there headed.