Epic is already working on Unreal Engine 6

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
During Unreal Fest Seattle 2024, Saxs Persson, the vice president of Epic Games, commented that the new technologies coming soon to the Unreal Editor for Fortnite (UEFN) are part of the “foundation of Unreal Engine 6”.

We made the decision at Epic Games to move our first-party team to UEFN earlier to speed up feature development with the aim of creating better, more robust tools for everyone faster.

At the moment, it may seem that UE and UEFN are still a long way off, but the Verse, Scene Graph and API that we'll be releasing in December are all part of the foundation for the future of Unreal Engine 6.

The goal with Unreal Engine 6 will be to unite 'Unreal Engine 5' and the 'Unreal Editor for Fortnite' in a single engine, allowing millions of players to co-exist together in a single project, like a true metaverse.

Source:

Reactions: YeezyDude

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Unreal Engine - 1998
UE2 - 2001 (3 years later)
UE3 - 2006 (5 years later)
UE4 - 2014 (8 years later)
UE5 - 2022 (8 years later)

PS1 - 1995
PS2 - 2000
PS3 - 2006
PS4 - 2013
PS5 - 2020

Unreal Engine 6 needs to release around 2027-2030. It makes sense they're already working on it. Epic largely releases a new engine coinciding with the release of new consoles. UE5 was a bit late to the party and we're kind of seeing the results of that with a lot of games coming out still being in UE4.

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
During Unreal Fest Seattle 2024, Saxs Persson, the vice president of Epic Games, commented that the new technologies coming soon to the Unreal Editor for Fortnite (UEFN) are part of the “foundation of Unreal Engine 6”.

The goal with Unreal Engine 6 will be to unite 'Unreal Engine 5' and the 'Unreal Editor for Fortnite' in a single engine, allowing millions of players to co-exist together in a single project, like a true metaverse.

Source:
Man I'm really looking forward to UE 6... I just wonder when it'll be out but I won't be surprised if it's not happening until the PS6 is out at least.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It always feels we never get to the level of the tech demos shown at the start of each UE