[Europe] PS5 was the best-selling platform for the month of April, Sales up 144% YoY, Switch up 38%, xbox up %19

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

This is based on GSD data, which covers physical game sales from major European markets and digital sales from most major publishers. Full details at the bottom of the article. April’s game sales were led by Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, which beat FIFA 23 to claim the No.1 spot -- despite only being on sale for a few days when this data was collected. It's a strong launch for the new Star Wars game, with sales up almost 6% on its predecessor, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which was released in November 2019.

55% of Survivor's sales were digital, whereas for Fallen Order it was 35%, highlighting how digital has accelerated for single player games across Europe during the pandemic.

The other big new release of the month was Dead Island 2, which debuts at No.3. It's been so long since the original Dead Island we don't have numbers to compare, but it seems to have done well. Sales are about a third lower than what the remake of Resident Evil 4 (released in March) managed over two weeks, and that is a far more established serie

In terms of hardware sales, across selected markets, console sales rose nearly 58% compared with April last year. All three major platforms performed strongly. PS5 sales are up 144% over April last year and was the best-selling platform of the month, Nintendo Switch sales rose nearly 38%, while Xbox Series S and X sales are up over 19%.

Sales of accessories and other add-on products grew 11% over April last year, with more than 1.2 million products sold. The PS5 DualSense controller leads the packed, followed by the Xbox Series Wireless Controller.

Finally, in terms of points cards, sales were up 10% over last April 2022 to 1.14 million units. PlayStation Store, Roblox, and Steam Wallet cards were the top performers.

European GSD April 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Dead Island 2 (Plaion)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
6Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
7Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
10Resident Evil 4: Remake (Capcom)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I reckon more it's been charting much more than any other "Old (2+years)" Sony game for the last 6+ months
This has really only been the case since the Show happened. Outside of that it would only chart now and then when put on sale. It's now $10 or so across Europe, plus I'm sure people wanting to know what happens after Part 1 is jumping in now.

I def think around 12 now, would be surprised if it's higher

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
This has really only been the case since the Show happened. Outside of that it would only chart now and then when put on sale. It's now $10 or so across Europe, plus I'm sure people wanting to know what happens after Part 1 is jumping in now.

I def think around 12 now, would be surprised if it's higher
Not true that it's only from the show although of course it's helped massively since release. Go look at the PSN charts for each month it's been on there every month bar 1 for like 8 months. And it not on sale every month so it's selling no matter the price.

I did a comparison versus Red Dead 2 on the PSN charts and for like 8 months they've been neck and neck on that storefront.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
Here's the comparison of TLOU2 Vs RDR2 on PSN.

Only one month it didn't chart and it for sure has not been on sale every month it's charted. Half at most.

The other notable point is it made the top sales of all of 2022 prior to the shows release. No other Sony game as old made the list.

PS4 PSN sales:

August 2022: 10th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR2 14th US and didnt chart EU)

September 2022: 11th US/CA and 15th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

October 2022: Didnt chart in this month

November 2022: 4th US/CA and 4th EU ( RDR2 8th in both)

December 2022: 7th US/CA and 5th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

2022 Total: 12th US/CA and 8th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

January 2023: 7th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR 2 and GTA 6th)

February 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)

March 2023: 9th US/CA and 10th EU (RDR2 7th and 6th)

April 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jimbo must be really happy with the TLOU tv show. It really bumped and gave extra legs to TLOU2 and TLOUP1.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Here's the comparison of TLOU2 Vs RDR2 on PSN.

Only one month it didn't chart and it for sure has not been on sale every month it's charted. Half at most.

The other notable point is it made the top sales of all of 2022 prior to the shows release. No other Sony game as old made the list.

PS4 PSN sales:

August 2022: 10th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR2 14th US and didnt chart EU)

September 2022: 11th US/CA and 15th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

October 2022: Didnt chart in this month

November 2022: 4th US/CA and 4th EU ( RDR2 8th in both)

December 2022: 7th US/CA and 5th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

2022 Total: 12th US/CA and 8th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

January 2023: 7th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR 2 and GTA 6th)

February 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)

March 2023: 9th US/CA and 10th EU (RDR2 7th and 6th)

April 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)
RDR2 deserves a PS5 version and TLoU Part 2 should get a Director's Cut.

Pretty much the two most impressive last gen games.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
RDR2 deserves a PS5 version and TLoU Part 2 should get a Director's Cut.

Pretty much the two most impressive last gen games.

Yes to both. Give me a TLOU2 directors cut with graphical improvements in line with Part 1 + a small DLC, perhaps covering Tommy's bit, or a short prequel.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
All three major platforms performed strongly. PS5 sales are up 144% over April last year and was the best-selling platform of the month, Nintendo Switch sales rose nearly 38%, while Xbox Series S and X sales are up over 19%.
Wow PS5 absolutely smashing it. Series consoles have very limited momentum in Europe when you consider the situation this time last year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Now they just need factions to bring it on home.
Yes, and I'm pretty sure we'll see it next week.

In addition to this, maybe not next week but I'd bet that once TLOU2 stops selling and once TLOUP1 for PC gets fixed enough I assume they'll announce a TLOU2 Director's Cut for PS5 and some time later (once people forgets the TLOUP1 PC port issues at launch) PC.

Last edited:

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
Yes, and I'm pretty sure we'll see it next week.

In addition to this, maybe not next week but I'd bet that once TLOU2 stops selling and once TLOUP1 for PC gets fixed enough I assume they'll announce a TLOU2 Director's Cut for PS5 and some time later (once people forgets the TLOUP1 PC port issues at launch) PC.
Atleast with Part 2 it should be quicker to make for PC and PS5 as there is less of an upgrade and they should have the kinks worked out.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Wow PS5 absolutely smashing it. Series consoles have very limited momentum in Europe when you consider the situation this time last year.
Most Series consoles were purchased as substitute goods due to the lack of PS5 availability. There’s no other logical explanation.

Reactions: Hezekiah

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Bevermind.

I made some maths and the numbers seems crazy high.

April 2022 it was 289k then this April should be around 458k.

Last edited: