FF7 Rebirth to include 1:1 scale rendition of the original world map

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Speaking of that world map and that expanded play space, is that something that’s all interconnected or is it more of a world map system where you can travel to different regions at any time?

Hamaguchi:
That’s a great question, that’s something I really wanted people to ask me. What we’ve done is we’ve taken the world map from the original Final Fantasy VII, but we’ve created it all in a one-to-one real scale. So all of the dungeons, all of the cities, everything in that world is now included in the same space. One seamless map.

WE SPOKE TO FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH’S LEAD DEVELOPERS ABOUT CRAFTING A BIGGER, BETTER SECOND CHAPTER

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has a tough job, not only following up what was a very well-put-together reimagining of the opening act of one of the most important RPGs of a generation, but blowing the whole thing wide open with a freely-explorable world and a much meatier chunk of story to re-tell.

I recently was able to get my very own hands on a lengthy preview build of Rebirth, which you can read about here, but first I was also able to chat to the game’s Producer, Yoshinori Kitase, and Director, Naoki Hamaguchi, about the processing of crafting a worthy second chapter in an incredibly ambitious remake project as well as some of the bonkers stuff going on in the game’s shiny new release date trailer:

Now you’ve just dropped a brand-new trailer for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and I’m about to get my hands on a preview demo which I’m very excited to play, but first – what was the intent behind the new trailer that you’ve debuted? What message did you want to convey with this?

Hamaguchi:
What we paid close attention to when we were making that trailer is, obviously in terms of the story, we wanted to give an indication of what the story in the game is. So obviously you’ve got Cloud and his friends are traveling across the world map, chasing after that Mirage, that illusion of Sephiroth.

And that’s going to form the main part of the story. So we wanted to give an indication of that and show that a little bit. Really what the focus on was was not so much on the main storyline, but more on the side content, because that’s one of the big differences between Rebirth and the original Remake is that we’ve added in so much more side contents and side quests and things to do to explore the map.

So really, that’s what we wanted to focus on more in the trailer. So we put in lots of shots of the different vehicles you can use to travel around the world in the game, the different towns and places you can visit. Just give that give the impression, to communicate that the breadth of the game is now that much bigger and you’ve got that much extra side content to play.

ff7r-int7.jpg

more at the link

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
That's pretty epic but I'll believe it when I see it

From memory there actually isn't anything very open about the section of game which this takes part. It's linear with the world map in between but even the world map isnt go anywhere

It only becomes go anywhere when you get the airship

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
If this turns out to be true, it's HUGE, no pun intended.

I was wondering how they handle the open world. Do we get FFXVI style locations that aren't connected or do we go with something like XV, only on a larger scale.

This would be great but I have my doubts.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is how it should be.

They avoid that with focusing the first game in Midgar only (that never had a world map to begin with) but one of the things that I don't like in the new way of Open World JRPG (FFXVI the last example) is the lack of world map where you can walk... the world map with checkpoints like most games do is really cheap and bad.

We need game to have open world maps like before.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1695396424744.png

Speaking of that world map and that expanded play space, is that something that’s all interconnected or is it more of a world map system where you can travel to different regions at any time?

Hamaguchi:
That’s a great question, that’s something I really wanted people to ask me. What we’ve done is we’ve taken the world map from the original Final Fantasy VII, but we’ve created it all in a one-to-one real scale. So all of the dungeons, all of the cities, everything in that world is now included in the same space. One seamless map.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
With 3/4 continents mapped out with their towns, I wonder if part 3 may come alot sooner than people think? Like late 2025 or early 2026? I feel like the world map and towns is the biggest hurdle for this whole remake project so in theory most of part 3 is just adding the 4th continent, getting the Airship to work in Realtime, the underwater sequences, and actors just acting the scenes out. Add a few extra islands for side dungeons maybe a new town? Roaming WEAPONS?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They could also deviate so far from the main story that the last third is entirely different.

Game 1: big twist at the end is its not a remake.
Game 2: things go more and more off-course
Game 3: totally different series of events

Reactions: Gamernyc78