FFXVI Ending Theories/Questions (Spoilers)

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The following is just my theories/me answering myself but please feel free to add to these:

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Clive healing Joshua wasn't him trying to revive Joshua from the dead but just healing his wounds since it was shown in the story during the part where Odin slices Clive, that the phoenix can heal physical wounds but he can't do anything about Clive's spirit which leads me to believe that Joshua is 100% dead? Then again, we DID see the phoenix feather still glowing so there's a chance that his spirit is still fighting to come back? Or is that just a sign that Joshua will live on in Clive's heart?

Another thing is can we assume that Joshua wrote the book before heading to Origin? if he's the author, then how come we're seeing all of this through the perspective of Clive? I guess that the book doesn't exactly recount the tales of Clive but it's easy to assume that since we played as Clive.

Also, I'm a little confused about Clive being dead or alive in that last scene since we didn't see him fully petrify. Is it safe to assume that he could have lived and just lost an arm? Also when Jill wished to Metia for Clive to return, Metia's glow vanished. Does that mean that Metia granted Jill's wish? or is it something along the lines of "Yeah okay we'll return Clive but that doesn't mean we'll return Clive ALIVE lol". Why did Jill and Gav cry? Were those tears of joy?

Also, I feel like they did the fallen dirty as a plot device since they had so much fallen tech all over the world but we don't really go into detail about their culture and whatnot. For example, Dezmekys Falls (The big hole in the middle of the map) was kinda just shown, talked about as something that happened during the age of the fallen, and then forgotten...

As for other questions...

What happened to the Medicine Girl (Kihel) and Terence?

Why is Tyler still highlighted on the relationship board when we haven't seen him the entire game? Is he dead? It's weird since Wade survived that night the phoenix awakened and they were together.

And also, Leviathan. Joshua mentions Leviathan as the lost Eikon so nonchalantly. Okay?!

Whatever happened to the Triunity? They just signed the treaty and forgot about it. I was hoping to see a scene where Uncle Byron, Havel, and their army fight a horde of Akashic. Personally, I very much enjoyed the game but for a game where their main focus was the story (Active Time Lore/Harpocrates/Vivian/etc), it felt like they left a lot of questions unanswered.

What are your thoughts on the ending? Any interesting theories?

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
There is obvious evidences Clive is alive.

- He wrote that book under Joshua's name like how he uses Cid name.

- The lyrics of the soundtrack played at that time.

- The prologue when Jill as a kid look up to the sky and pray to the Metia.

-Medicine girl could be Leviathan dominant. I think it could be be a healing Eikon.

I think there should be more coming forward, either way, it is clear they was running out of budget into 2/3 of the game, just like Ragnarok. But the endgame still miles better than Ragnarok for me.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and anonpuffs

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
There is obvious evidences Clive is alive.

- He wrote that book under Joshua's name like how he uses Cid name.

- The lyrics of the soundtrack played at that time.

- The prologue when Jill as a kid look up to the sky and pray to the Metia.

-Medicine girl could be Leviathan dominant. I think it could be be a healing Eikon.

I think there should be more coming forward, either way, it is clear they was running out of budget into 2/3 of the game, just like Ragnarok. But the endgame still miles better than Ragnarok for me.
The story and pacing of Ragnarok was very disappointing. The gameplay however is much better

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The story and pacing of Ragnarok was very disappointing. The gameplay however is much better

They hyped up Ragnorak for the entire game only for it to be a very short sequence, i was very disappointed. We also didnt get to see what the others were up to. I feel like they wanted to make another game but had to condence the whole story into Gow Ragnorak.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They hyped up Ragnorak for the entire game only for it to be a very short sequence, i was very disappointed. We also didnt get to see what the others were up to. I feel like they wanted to make another game but had to condence the whole story into Gow Ragnorak.

Agree completely.

Pretty obvious GOW Norse saga was meant to be a trilogy.

The decision to fit 2 games into Ragnarok also came late.

The pacing is so slow the first half of the game and then everything gets thrown into the rest of the game.

I reckon it was originally Heimdall or Thor to be the Final boss in this game.

The Ragnarok war was also a bit of an anti climax.

Why did this happen? Maybe they wanted to move onto a new mythology or new IP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Agree completely.

Pretty obvious GOW Norse saga was meant to be a trilogy.

The decision to fit 2 games into Ragnarok also came late.

The pacing is so slow the first half of the game and then everything gets thrown into the rest of the game.

I reckon it was originally Heimdall or Thor to be the Final boss in this game.

The Ragnarok war was also a bit of an anti climax.

Why did this happen? Maybe they wanted to move onto a new mythology or new IP.
But why wasting half the game with boring chapters? Theses developers are copying the worst part from Naughty Dogs games. The long and slow walk and talk chapters.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
But why wasting half the game with boring chapters? Theses developers are copying the worst part from Naughty Dogs games. The long and slow walk and talk chapters.

Uncharted Games always have the best dialogue so i don't mind the walking chapters.