Final Fantasy 16's Naoki Yoshida says negative comments from trolls are "tiresome"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Naoki-Yoshida-(1).png

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida has said negative comments from trolls online are "tiresome".

A special documentary on the developer was recently shown in Japan, which streamer and Final Fantasy fan Audrey of Aitai Kimochi translated for social media.

During the show, Yoshida stated he often checks social media for fan feedback during breaks between Final Fantasy 14 expansions and events. He was also shown watching fan videos ahead of the release of Final Fantasy 16 to understand fan sentiment. When reading negative Japanese comments he said:

"There's a lot of people who just yell at you, people I've never seen, met, or talked to before. It's weird. What did we do to them? Perhaps they just write it from a place of negativity and malice. It's tiresome."

Despite the mixed reaction, Square Enix recently stated that sales for Final Fantasy 16 are "extremely strong" - the PS5 exclusive sold 3m copies worldwide in under a week. That's despite a Bloomberg article claiming sales had plummeted in Japan after its first week.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I don’t know why developers even read social media for opinions about their game. That’s the worst place to look for anything objective or subjective.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don’t know why developers even read social media for opinions about their game. That’s the worst place to look for anything objective or subjective.
Because generally FF14 audience gives decent feedback and Yoshi-P actually reads it and tries to implement the ideas or balance changes that make sense or come up with something that addresses the underlying concerns. FF16 is just getting a different level of trolling due to ms fanboys and shills, and the broader FF fanbase being so diverse that they all like different things

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Box

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I hope they are paying attention to where those comments are coming from and deprive them of an Xbox version on Gamepass that would feed the beast.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Puff

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You guys claiming Xbox are getting the part where he's reading Japanese comments, right? There is no monster under your bed.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You guys claiming Xbox are getting the part where he's reading Japanese comments, right? There is no monster under your bed.
You act like Takashi Mochizuki and his ilk don't exist.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
mixed? there is no mixed. majority are positive.

There is a very small but very vocal minority of trolls who have been attacking the game since day one, not sure if they are XboxCels

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Because generally FF14 audience gives decent feedback and Yoshi-P actually reads it and tries to implement the ideas or balance changes that make sense or come up with something that addresses the underlying concerns. FF16 is just getting a different level of trolling due to ms fanboys and shills, and the broader FF fanbase being so diverse that they all like different things

Isn’t there dedicated feedback for that? FF forums? Surveys?

He seems to reading YouTube comments.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
He reads everything, also dedicated fan forums tend to have the most toxic people
Yeah, it’s bizarre. Enthusiast forums are filled with whiny manchildren who complain about the silliest stuff. I wonder if it’s the same with music and cars forums.

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Yeah, it’s bizarre. Enthusiast forums are filled with whiny manchildren who complain about the silliest stuff. I wonder if it’s the same with music and cars forums.
Normal people who just play and enjoy games don't spend time complaining about them on niche internet forums.

Gamefaqs used to be the worst, no matter how good the game was you would have people complaining non stop. Even about Elden Ring!