Final Fantasy 7 Remake team wants to give players more freedom and new gameplay in the trilogy’s final part

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Inside Square Enix Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth episode

Uploaded on May 30, the latest episode of Inside Square Enix delves into Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, with key members of the development team reflecting on what they paid attention to when developing the game, as well as enthusiastically talking about the upcoming final part of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy.

At the end of the hour and a half long episode, each member hinted at what we can expect from the final installment. First, battle director Teruki Endo spoke about how the whole team focused on expanding battles and the wider gameplay cycle for Rebirth. For the third game, he says that he is currently thinking about how “to give the player even more freedom.”

Art director Shintaro Takai comments that he is already working on the third game in his head. He references all the little playful touches in both Remake and Rebirth (such as Red XIII’s Shinra uniform disguise and dance during the cruise boat section) that FF7’s expansive universe and lore make possible. However, Takai explains that the design team is still not 100% satisfied and plans to put everything into making the final part of Final Fantasy 7 remake even more detailed.

Director Naoki Hamaguchi comments that he hopes Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth’s expansive world will give players a sense of how Final Fantasy can evolve in the future. As for the final part of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy, Hamaguchi explains that,

“We very much want to give the fans a different kind of gameplay experience to what they had in Remake and Rebirth.” Regarding the fans that are waiting eagerly for the next game, he adds, “I will strive to finish it as soon as possible, while also ensuring that it is of high quality.”

Source

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
More? How? Fucking how? I enjoyed the freedom I got.

My bet for the third name is Final Fantasy VII: Return

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They need to go back to having "Remake" in the title... or casuals and some other groups won't know.

Maybe "Remake Finale"
?

The don’t have remake in the tittle because it a game with story related names.

These are the names:

Remake
Rebirth
Re something else

Not get into the spoilers but in the first you see something remake, in the second a rebirth happens… and the 3rd we don’t know the name and story focus yet.

Second and third games can’t be named Remake because they don’t have something being remade in the story.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
More? How? Fucking how? I enjoyed the freedom I got.

My bet for the third name is Final Fantasy VII: Return
It is a good guess imo.

But I still think it will be Reunion even if already used in Crisis Core.

There are a lot of words to use: Redemption, Remembrance, Reminiscence, Recollection, Reawakening, Reactivation, etc.

Without know what in the story is being changed by the future we won’t guess correctly the name 😅

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Idk how the combat gets better than rebirth lol

As far as the OW design, less restriction sounds great

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
It is a good guess imo.

But I still think it will be Reunion even if already used in Crisis Core.

There are a lot of words to use: Redemption, Remembrance, Reminiscence, Recollection, Reawakening, Reactivation, etc.

Without know what in the story is being changed by the future we won’t guess correctly the name 😅
Part of my reasoning is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

I would laugh if it was Lightning Returns : Final Fantasy VII

I think the Return is that there will be the effort to return this trilogy to the same timeline ending as the OG.

I am open to Final Fantasy VII: Returnal

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So far so good. As long as they dont cheap out on the third chapter because Rebirth didnt meet SE's expectations. Also, if part 3 is multiplatform wont that effect the development? Like i know the power of the SSD is marketing PR but i also kind of believe it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They need to go back to having "Remake" in the title... or casuals and some other groups won't know.

Maybe "Remake Finale"
They should just control the budget for the game and have realistic expectation, the final part is going to perform inline with the first two. There is nothing they can do to make it more popular than that.

The game is already massive and looks great, wrap it up with a great final part and don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Maybe a better combat system? But I may be in the minority here.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Maybe a better combat system? But I may be in the minority here.
I think being mostly limited to 2 ATB bars limits the combat. I think 13 had it right where you could que up multiple attack's the longer the ATB bar got. Also character switching would be nice. And summons on command as well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I think being mostly limited to 2 ATB bars limits the combat. I think 13 had it right where you could que up multiple attack's the longer the ATB bar got. Also character switching would be nice. And summons on command as well.

I agree. One of my main gripes is that no matter how much time I spent leveling up and grinding, I never felt more powerful than the enemies.