Final Fantasy 8 Director Would Change the Combat System in a Remake

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1707312767273.png

Talking to IGN, Final Fantasy 8’s director Yoshinori Kitase said he’d “really rework the battle system on [Final Fantasy 8]”, noting that players struggled with the stat-heavy Junction system that powered the RPGs characters and fights.

“I think you may remember we had the Junction system in Final Fantasy 8,” he said. “And the thing about that system was the enemies levelled up in line with what the player’s level was. And obviously you had to then use the Junction system and how you customise that to overcome the challenge there. And I think it was a very difficult system for some people to get into. Depending on player skills, sometimes they just didn't work out the best way of doing it.

“So I think I'd want to return to that and really rework the battle system on [Final Fantasy 8] and make it something where that level of difficulty and approachability for some fans was a lot better balanced. So I think that's the thing I'd look at most if I was going to look at remaking it.”

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Those endless GF attack animations... and you had to mash square to increase attack power. That was extremely annoying.
Must have mashed through Shiva's "Aurora Execution" like attack hundreds of times.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Depending on player skills, sometimes they just didn't work out the best way of doing it.

lol some people were too dumb to understand how to junction magic for better stats even though we provided detailed walkthroughs for each system in the game

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
My favorite FF.

My first proper FF.
I watched an older friend play FF4

But this was the first I played to completion. Got me into JRPGs that much more. One of the greatest OST’s too.

Its holds a special place in my gaming heart. Probably my favourite too, but FF9 also was awesome. I switch between the 2 all the time

Last edited: