Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Summoning A Masterpiece

11 Jul 2024
Watched the whole thing, nothing new really just some dev talk about their favorite moments and how far the franchise has come.
I love Kitase and Hamaguchi, absolute legends in the gaming world. I 100% believe them when they say the 3rd game will break all expectations and be one of the best games ever made, Rebirth already did that and I can't wait to see what they do with part 3.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They sound extremely confident about part 3. I guess rebirths softer than expected sales isn’t effecting anything? I’d be curious what the mindset about part 3 is, like since Sony already allegedly paid for the trilogy budget isn’t a concern? Closing it out strong is a matter of pride for SE so budget also isn’t a factor? They are confident they can eventually sell it all as a trilogy pack when it’s all done?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Why did you hate the first one?
For starters, hated the combat. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Not good enough to be a pure action game and not a good traditional FF. And then you go through nothing but corridors, while dragging out the game with at least 10 hours of useless content.

Then FF XVI released and I disliked that even more and now combat in the remakes seems better.

Plus, FFVIIR had an open world and crapload of content.

But I'll also be replaying XVI. See if looks better now that I know what to expect.

• fire
Reactions: Entropi and ethomaz

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
For starters, hated the combat. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Not good enough to be a pure action game and not a good traditional FF. And then you go through nothing but corridors, while dragging out the game with at least 10 hours of useless content.

Then FF XVI released and I disliked that even more and now combat in the remakes seems better.

But I'll also be replaying XVI. See if looks better now that I know what to expect.
I think the mistake people make going into 16 is expecting a jrpg whereas it is a character action game sprinkled with some lite rpg elements, there is no deep progression system to go along with an rpg length character action game. The game is very easy too and if they launched with final fantasy mode it would have been received much better.
But even with these criticisms 16 does have some really great highs and the eikon fights are so good that I think they make for the drawbacks of the game

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I think the mistake people make going into 16 is expecting a jrpg whereas it is a character action game sprinkled with some lite rpg elements, there is no deep progression system to go along with an rpg length character action game. The game is very easy too and if they launched with final fantasy mode it would have been received much better.
But even with these criticisms 16 does have some really great highs and the eikon fights are so good that I think they make for the drawbacks of the game
I had 2 issues with it. Combat is just too simple and the world feels too empty.

You can go through FFX and its corridors and still feel like it's a bigger world than XVI. There's nothing to find in that open world, other than some mostly useless items. The world doesn't feel lived in and that's an issue FF had since XII. FFVII remake fixed that.

Combat is all flash and no substance.

FFXVI has an incredible world. Doing something like FFVII R, with open world content and side missions, would have done wonders for the game. You have this epic story and these amazing Eikon set pieces but outside of that, everything feels lifeless. It reminds me of XV a bit. Great world and ideas but bad execution.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

The first one is indeed very corridor linear… it is even more than original FFVII.

And FFXVI follow the same setup… after 6 months I started again to run the hard mode to get the Platinum and it is even more evident how linear the game is.

Most of time you are just waking a corridor to see a cutscene or fight a boss.

The combat doesn’t help right but I think Remake still do it better than XVI.

Edit - The Eilon combat are so simple with basically two moves that feels like sequences of QTEs… they should have more deep with Eikon fights.

Give the impression they created a battle system to the game but back to NES/SNES era of combat in the Eikon ones.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The first one is indeed very corridor linear… it is even more than original FFVII.

And FFXVI follow the same setup… after 6 months I started again to run the hard mode to get the Platinum and it is even more evident how linear the game is.

Most of time you are just waking a corridor to see a cutscene or fight a boss.

The combat doesn’t help right but I think Remake still do it better than XVI.

Edit - The Eilon combat are so simple with basically two moves that feels like sequences of QTEs… they should have more deep with Eikon fights.

Give the impression they created a battle system to the game but back to NES/SNES era of combat in the Eikon ones.

Ah, those chunks of FF16 are the sequences where you would’ve expected a dungeon.

What they did instead was replace that with a series of corridors and combat encounters. Yea, when I first encountered that and realized the game didn’t do dungeons is when the honeymoon ended and considered the game half-baked.

I didn’t expect FF7-2 to repeat that mistake and I’m assuming it doesn’t. Not a fan of remake but it didn’t feel as incomplete of a game as 16.

Reactions: ethomaz