Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox will Require Game Pass Core or Ultimate Subscription in Addition to the Game's Own Subscription

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.

Xtq62dh.png

Does Final Fantasy XIV need Game Pass on Xbox Series X/S?​

Yes, Final Fantasy XIV will require an Xbox Game Pass Core or Ultimate subscription on Xbox Series X/S. This comes courtesy of the official Final Fantasy XIV website, which explains the paid structure for the game after it leaves beta.

“The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.”

It should be clarified that this means you need an Xbox Game Pass Core or Ultimate sub to be able to play Final Fantasy XIV along with a separate paid subscription to the game, not that it will be free to subscribers.

This is a surprising choice, as PlayStation Plus isn’t required for the PlayStation versions of the game. Those wishing to visit Eorzea for the first time on Xbox Series X/S will have to double-dip on spending for the game.

Source

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Holy shit.

For those who game on xbox and don't know, the playstation version of FFXIV does not require PS+. Precisely because Square Enix already charges a subscription.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I thought this idea of double subscription was done away with during the launch of the previous consoles?

Sony dropped the PSN requirement for FF14...
Bad move MS, very bad move.

How long before GP is 'mandatory' to get online, just like XBL was during the 360 days?

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Well there's either 1 of 2 things happening right now.
A. Microsoft is trying to recoup costs for the loss they've been taking on all their fronts.
Or
B. Square charged them way more to port FFXIV to the xbox then Playstation.
Regardless I don't think having it on the Xbox is going to move the needle much especially with 2 subscriptions for an MMO.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Well, this really bodes well for World of Warcraft on Xbox, doesn't it? Imagine paying MS twice to play an MMO. :ROFLMAO:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
What a waste of resources for Square, porting the game now that the platform is almost dead.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
MS is pure garbage. Xbox is about as far away as you can get from being pro-consumer, greedy stupid cunts.

Fantastic that this is what SE get for catering to MS, congratulations.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I though i understood the gamepass system, but now i am completely lost. I though it was like ps plus in tiers, not different.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I though i understood the gamepass system, but now i am completely lost. I though it was like ps plus in tiers, not different.
PS plus tiers basically copied game pass tiers

Essential/Core: anti-gamer tax on multiplayer with a couple free games

Extra/Gold: buffet of games

Premium/Ultimate: cloud streaming

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
PS plus tiers basically copied game pass tiers

Essential/Core: anti-gamer tax on multiplayer with a couple free games

Extra/Gold: buffet of games

Premium/Ultimate: cloud streaming and demos
I know this. I don't know how you can have both of those on 1 account at the same time.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This is beyond ridiculous but also no one was really gonna be playing this on Xbox