Final Fantasy XVI was the most downloaded PS5/PS4 game in Japan in 2023 beating Hogwarts Legacy

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
32c1250a3c69943b3cefc71b1ab24870b897eeaf.jpg

In many regions, Hogwarts Legacy was the standout as the most downloaded game, but that wasn't the case in Japan, as Final Fantasy XVI on PS5 took that spot.

The latest RPG developed by Square Enix has managed to surpass such successful titles as Hogwarts Legacy, Monster Hunter Rise, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon and others.

1. Final Fantasy XVI
  2. Hogwarts Legacy
  3. Monster Hunter: Rise
  4. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
  5. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  6. Street Fighter 6
  7. Diablo IV
  8. Wild Hearts
  9. Like a Dragon Gaiden
  10. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
According to data released by Square Enix itself, Final Fantasy XVI sold 3 million copies in less than a week, but as of today, it hasn't updated the figure.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I would be surprised if it was beaten by Hogwarts Legacy there digitally, just saying.

This was expected. I hope they do a rerelease with a price drop once the final DLC is out for that region with everything on the disc.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I would be surprised if it was beaten by Hogwarts Legacy there digitally, just saying.

This was expected. I hope they do a rerelease with a price drop once the final DLC is out for that region with everything on the disc.
Dude, Harry Potter is fucking HUGE in Japan. It’s honestly a gigantic accomplishment for Square that FF XVI topped Herpes in the digital charts.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Glorious, they should push more AAA Japanese games there.

Hogwarts Legacy was huge in Japan as well, FFXVI seems to have done great there.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Dude, Harry Potter is fucking HUGE in Japan. It’s honestly a gigantic accomplishment for Square that FF XVI topped Herpes in the digital charts.
Nonsense. Final Fantasy is a bigger game brand there. Final Fantasy 16 in many eyes underperformed in Japan.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Nonsense. Final Fantasy is a bigger game brand there. Final Fantasy 16 in many eyes underperformed in Japan.

I mean given the trend of PS5 software, at least at retail level, in Japan every game underperformed but FFXVI will probably end up being the best selling PS5 game. Given it’s a $70 game and the most downloaded game too is good. Not to mention Square seems happy with the sales too so 🤷‍♂️

Also Harry Potter is absolutely massive in Japan

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I mean given the trend of PS5 software, at least at retail level, in Japan every game underperformed but FFXVI will probably end up being the best selling PS5 game. Given it’s a $70 game and the most downloaded game too is good. Not to mention Square seems happy with the sales too so 🤷‍♂️

Also Harry Potter is absolutely massive in Japan
I never denied Harry Potter's popularity in this thread? I dunno why this is being stated to me as if I'm not aware?

But to pretend a Harry Potter game was expected to outsell a mainland Final Fantasy game in Japan is crazy?

It's a bigger entertainment brand overall but not a bigger gaming IP property.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
I never denied Harry Potter's popularity in this thread? I dunno why this is being stated to me as if I'm not aware?

But to pretend a Harry Potter game was expected to outsell a mainland Final Fantasy game in Japan is crazy?

It's a bigger entertainment brand overall but not a bigger gaming IP property.

I don’t think there was an inherent expectation for Harry Potter to sell more than FF but given how its constantly topped sales chart around the world that view obviously shifted. That doesn’t mean it’s a bigger gaming IP however. So FF beating the best selling game of 2023 is good either way.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I don’t think there was an inherent expectation for Harry Potter to sell more than FF but given how its constantly topped sales chart around the world that view obviously shifted. That doesn’t mean it’s a bigger gaming IP however. So FF beating the best selling game of 2023 is good either way.

The Japanese market doesn't mirror worldwide trends and so my comment was addressing this specific market.

COD, FIFA or GTA also never ends up as top selling games in Japan but they are usually in most markets. Where as a mainland Final Fantasy games has outsold those games on the respective console platforms.

I don't even see why my comment in here was being challenged for saying it would be more shocking if Harry Potter bested Final Fantasy 16 in Japan digitally.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Baldur's Gate 3 came out in Japan Dec 21st and it's #18 on the list for PS5, we know through Famitsu that it sold 25k~ copies at retail from Dec 18 to 31st. At a 30% digital would give us 7500~ digital sales, note that this is very likely lower, as digital ratio is always much smaller at launch and grows through residual sales.

I would not be surprised if only FFXVI has achieved over 100k digital sales on this list.

Last edited:

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
The Japanese market doesn't mirror worldwide trends and so my comment was addressing this specific market.

COD, FIFA or GTA also never ends up as top selling games in Japan but they are usually in most markets. Where as a mainland Final Fantasy games has outsold those games on the respective console platforms.

I don't even see why my comment in here was being challenged for saying it would be more shocking if Harry Potter bested Final Fantasy 16 in Japan digitally.

Japan not mirroring western trends in this particular case doesn’t really matter as Hogwarts is one of the best selling games on PS5 in Japan too which is why the popularity of the IP was brought up in the first place. I would generally also think that FF would easily outsell HP but that game seems to have insane selling power.

Either way, I’m not saying HP is a bigger gaming franchise was mostly just trying to say that XVI outselling Hogwarts is a good thing

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Japan not mirroring western trends in this particular case doesn’t really matter as Hogwarts is one of the best selling games on PS5 in Japan too which is why the popularity of the IP was brought up in the first place. I would generally also think that FF would easily outsell HP but that game seems to have insane selling power.

Either way, I’m not saying HP is a bigger gaming franchise was mostly just trying to say that XVI outselling Hogwarts is a good thing
I love Final Fantasy 16 but it would have been a bigger shock if it was outsold digitally by Hogwarts that's all I said lol.

I have no doubt the Final Fantasy IP is still stronger in Japan than the sales of FF 16 led on. I think Rebirth will give us a better picture of this.