First details on Helldivers 2 co-op and combat gameplay | Game Releases this year

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
0e0cb8996c625306e5f169fd350dca7d924bfc6a-scaled.jpg

Greetings, future Helldivers. It’s Katherine, Arrowhead’s social media and community manager, back again to bring you new Helldivers 2 gameplay details: a more in-depth look at our cooperative play* and combat.

Gearing up​

After your Helldiver defrosts on your ship, you and your squadmates must prepare for a mission by customizing your armor, your weapons, and your stratagems together.

Creating your loadout feels like part of the mission prep: changing your weapon to suit not only your appetite for destruction but the mission and enemy types you might encounter. Your greatest aids as a Helldiver are stratagems: powerful tools that can be summoned with short button combinations. Everything from airstrikes to Hellpods containing bigger, badder weapons to defensive gear and extra supplies are at your fingertips.

When selecting stratagems, it’ll be essential to coordinate with your team to select the best possible load-outs for the enemies and mission type. If you’re going up against armored enemies, like the Terminid Charger, you or a squadmate can equip armor-piercing weapons, like the AT-48 Recoilless Rifle or the AC-8 Autocannon, which feature a teammate-assisted reload to keep battles even more chaotic.

But don’t sleep on those defensive stratagems either. While one Helldiver is handling the heavy fire, another Helldiver can call down a shield generator to protect teammates as the enemies push back. In a four-person team, you’ll be able to select a mix of stratagems and weapons that will lead to a unique victory every time.

Ready for action​

Once your Hellpod lands on a planet, you can start calling in support stratagems, which include more powerful weapons, shield generators, and supply backpacks.

Each member of your squad can play according to their own style: some of you will charge into the fight, others will call down a sniper rifle stratagem and maintain a safe distance while picking off the enemies. You can even sneak past encounters if your team moves carefully. You’re all free to decide how you want to spread Managed Democracy: up close and personal, or with tactical oversight.

Of course, once the action really picks up, get used to dying. Not only are the enemy hordes relentless, but you might run into some stray bullets from your fellow Helldivers. Either way, it’s your team’s first priority to use a Reinforce stratagem to call your brand new Helldiver down to the planet to pick up right where you left off. You can even grab the guns your previous corpse left behind.

There’s not only cooperative combat, but you’ll have cooperative objectives to tackle with your team as well. You’ll be able to share locations with each other and move together across the map. You’ll also encounter optional objectives to complete, requiring a small detour with your teammates, and of course, requiring more ammunition. But you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.

That’s it for now, soldier. Get ready to give ‘em hell!

Helldivers 2 launches on PS5 this year.

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

53026205484_b6672ee5ec_h.jpg

Greetings, future Helldivers. It’s Katherine, Arrowhead’s social media and community manager, back again to bring you new Helldivers 2 gameplay details: a more in-depth look at our cooperative play* and combat.

Gearing up​

After your Helldiver defrosts on your ship, you and your squadmates must prepare for a mission by customizing your armor, your weapons, and your stratagems together.

Creating your loadout feels like part of the mission prep: changing your weapon to suit not only your appetite for destruction but the mission and enemy types you might encounter. Your greatest aids as a Helldiver are stratagems: powerful tools that can be summoned with short button combinations. Everything from airstrikes to Hellpods containing bigger, badder weapons to defensive gear and extra supplies are at your fingertips.
53026205524_051c8f80f0_h.jpg

Ready for action​

Once your Hellpod lands on a planet, you can start calling in support stratagems, which include more powerful weapons, shield generators, and supply backpacks.

Each member of your squad can play according to their own style: some of you will charge into the fight, others will call down a sniper rifle stratagem and maintain a safe distance while picking off the enemies. You can even sneak past encounters if your team moves carefully. You’re all free to decide how you want to spread Managed Democracy: up close and personal, or with tactical oversight.

53026205569_211ee73103_h.jpg

Of course, once the action really picks up, get used to dying. Not only are the enemy hordes relentless, but you might run into some stray bullets from your fellow Helldivers. Either way, it’s your team’s first priority to use a Reinforce stratagem to call your brand new Helldiver down to the planet to pick up right where you left off. You can even grab the guns your previous corpse left behind.

There’s not only cooperative combat, but you’ll have cooperative objectives to tackle with your team as well. You’ll be able to share locations with each other and move together across the map. You’ll also encounter optional objectives to complete, requiring a small detour with your teammates, and of course, requiring more ammunition. But you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.

Helldivers 2 launches on PS5 this year.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This could be Playstations Gears if done correctly. I loved Gears 4 and Gears 3 horde mode. This looks like its that but in a campaign.

Hope weapons feel meaty.

I want a starship troopers type of shooter, right now Starships Troopers: Extinction is in early access and the teams are too large in my opinion. This feels like a good balance for 4 player co-op horde.

Any word if this is full priced $70?

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I hope you can solo most of the content like the first one, otherwise it will be a skip.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Hmm.

This always seemed to be the one with the best shot coming out this year.

It might be a December release but a MP game doesn’t really need to stay away from big single-player releases since there’s not much player overlap.

I’ll keep an eye out. Player (not critic) reception will be telling for this one.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Who's up for making a little clan? A team?

I am getting mad Starshiptroopers vibes and I LIKE it!

Actually quite hyped, if they pull off the gameplay and loot well, this could be a real winner.

would you like to know more starship troopers GIF

Reactions: Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Who's up for making a little clan? A team?

I am getting mad Starshiptroopers vibes and I LIKE it!

Actually quite hyped, if they pull off the gameplay and loot well, this could be a real winner.

would you like to know more starship troopers GIF

I'm in.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Im guessing this is a november release, i think theres too much commotion going on in september and october, sony has two console exclusive dropping those months already