Forbes: New Exclusive Details on Marathon - Spring 2025, Hero Extraction Shooter, 300 developers, Devs not Optimistic

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
marathon.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...on-details-on-heroes-price-and-radio-silence/

• $40 price tag is legit
  • Too late to go back to a pure F2P model
  • No significant reveals until spring 2025, might get a shorter vid before then
  • Hero/class system is most comparable to Apex, but with more customization. Abilities like double jump, fast revive, etc. Guns and gear can be customized a lot
  • Barrett to Ziegler switch brought the "hero" concept. Barrett’s vision of a game with echoes of the mysteries of the Dreaming City or World’s First type races. Will still have puzzles and secrets but not at the same scale.
  • Art direct and aesthetics haven't changed from the reveal trailer
  • 2025 will be a tough target to hit. Sony wants it to come in 2025 and "if it doesn't = bad"
  • Optimism is not exactly widespread at Bungie in the current situation, and among the Marathon team of 300 people (the majority of Bungie is still on Destiny 2)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Shades of D1 and Halo 2 dev issues in its own unique way.

The “optimism” comment will be taken out of context but it’s doesn’t even seem related to the state of the game.

“Those working on Marathon really want to be able to talk about it to curb some of the narratives about “dead” Bungie and being “the next Concord” and all that as they believe the game they are making is in fact very cool (though of course not perfect).”

Otherwise, great to hear further info that Bungie still has Destiny as priority instead.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
The article is by Paul Tassi, who continues to say that Wukong is just not on Xbox because Sony has an exclusive deal. So I would be cautious about whether these are facts or just speculation.

Although many of the points are obvious in my opinion. Of course it would be bad if Marathon, after being internally postponed by a year, doesn't come out in 2025. The fact that it will cost $40 isn't really new information either, after Helldivers 2 and Concord have already been released for that price. I'm guessing that Fairgames will come out before Marathon because Marathon got hundreds of millions of clicks on the reveal teaser and a Bungie MP title has more potential for success.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The article is by Paul Tassi, who continues to say that Wukong is just not on Xbox because Sony has an exclusive deal. So I would be cautious about whether these are facts or just speculation.

Although many of the points are obvious in my opinion. Of course it would be bad if Marathon, after being internally postponed by a year, doesn't come out in 2025. The fact that it will cost $40 isn't really new information either, after Helldivers 2 and Concord have already been released for that price. I'm guessing that Fairgames will come out before Marathon because Marathon got hundreds of millions of clicks on the reveal teaser and a Bungie MP title has more potential for success.

There’s this narrative starting that all PvP games must be free to play. It’s completely manufactured. It benefits Activision and Epic the most.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
  • 2025 will be a tough target to hit. Sony wants it to come in 2025 and "if it doesn't = bad"
This is what is needed, Not hitting project timelines should have consequences, If the devs can't cope and bring out their A game to put out projects on time then they need to be fired.

Kojima started his own studio, went searching for an engine and put out a game within 4 years. He is going to finish the more ambitious sequel on 4.5 yrs timeline as well. On the other hand we have the clown fiesta on the west coast.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Paul has an axe to grind with Bungie over Destiny 2 and he is a constant propagandist regarding Sony.

I will have faith in Bungie to deliver and try to right their ship. Rooting for the game as Sony multiplayers are usually a step above most when it comes to quality, so hoping this will be the case too.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters