OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That's pretty aggressive discounting. If true, would be a major sign that Sony is far off from reaching their forecasted goals.
I would like to see the digital retailing for 350 euro at this point normally...

But I have no idea how costs are, so it might not be possible.

But getting the install base as high as possible earlier should have been a higher priority this generation imo

This is a move in the right direction and with the Pro coming, I think they have to compete with a growing availability of sec d hand machines too.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
That's pretty aggressive discounting. If true, would be a major sign that Sony is far off from reaching their forecasted goals.

Looks like you're finally waking up 😀

I would like to see the digital retailing for 350 euro at this point normally...

But getting the install base as high as possible earlier should have been a higher priority this generation imo

This is a move in the right direction and with the Pro coming, I think they have to compete with a growing availability of sec d hand machines too.

They've been doing promos across Europe on and off for about the whole year IIRC. So suffice to say it's a market where sales are softer than they were expecting, is critical for PS install base, could be in jeopardy of customer bleed to other platforms like PC, but where sales promos can realistically move units to desired levels unlike other markets (i.e Japan where price isn't the only issue).

Agreed it's a move in the right direction, but they could've avoided this through avoiding some of the mistakes they made the past two years.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Growth as a company requires operating income. The reason why Sony never grew substantially after dominating two generations in a row with the PS1-PS2 era is because their operating income was limited.

Now Sony is in an existential crisis with the looming threat of big tech hanging over head. More units aren't important, especially if those same players are buying and playing games on PS4 as evidenced by consistent MAUs.

Sony probably has until the end of this generation if that to stake their claim as a major player in gaming for the future.

Looks like you're finally waking up 😀

You fundamentally don't know what you're talking about. I'm not agreeing with you doomers. Missing a forecast isn't great but it's not necessarily the end of the world. It is perhaps reflective of a global economy that is reeling from inflation and wars.

Like I mentioned above, Sony need only maintain their MAUs. If their MAUs fall, that would actually be a sign that they're losing mindshare.

They've been doing promos across Europe on and off for about the whole year IIRC. So suffice to say it's a market where sales are softer than they were expecting, is critical for PS install base, could be in jeopardy of customer bleed to other platforms like PC, but where sales promos can realistically move units to desired levels unlike other markets (i.e Japan where price isn't the only issue).

Agreed it's a move in the right direction, but they could've avoided this through avoiding some of the mistakes they made the past two years.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is the promos were part of their forecast...

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Growth as a company requires operating income. The reason why Sony never grew substantially after dominating two generations in a row with the PS1-PS2 era is because their operating income was limited.

Now Sony is in an existential crisis with the looming threat of big tech hanging over head. More units aren't important, especially if those same players are buying and playing games on PS4 as evidenced by consistent MAUs.

Sony probably has until the end of this generation if that to stake their claim as a major player in gaming for the future.

You fundamentally don't know what you're talking about. I'm not agreeing with you doomers. Missing a forecast isn't great but it's not necessarily the end of the world. It is perhaps reflective of a global economy that is reeling from inflation and wars.

Like I mentioned above, Sony need only maintain their MAUs. If their MAUs fall, that would actually be a sign that they're losing mindshare.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is the promos were part of their forecast...
What is the threat from big tech?

Steaming? 😂

Reactions: Puff

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Why would Sony be in an existential crisis? They are the leader and major player in many different industries, video games just being one of them.

What's the threat by big tech you are alluding to?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What is the threat from big tech?

Steaming? 😂

Big tech has mountains of money. They can buy every major 3rd party publisher in the industry.

That's American Big Tech and Chinese Big Tech.

It's a reality that gamers want to ignore, but we're already seeing what that looks like.

It's Amazon buying MGM, it's Disney buying Fox (Disney who had already bought Miramax, LucasFilm, Marvel, and Pixar), it's Microsoft buying ABK (Microsoft that had already bought Zenimax), it's Tencent looking to buy Ubisoft (they already have a large share of Epic and several other companies).

You have Apple, Netflix, Microsoft, Tencent, Amazon, Nvidia, and Google... all of which have more money to spend than Sony. Once interest rates fall low enough and the markets pick up again, you're going to see further consolidation in the games industry.

Money made from 3rd party publishers is going to erode over time and yeah, it's absolutely going to usher in an age of streaming games and probably before its ready.

Apple can platform games on MacOS, Apple TV, Apple Arcade, iOS, and iPadOS.

Netflix can stream them via their own cloud services. Same with Microsoft.

Amazon already has a cloud service in Luna.

Google can get back into it and they can also release hardware if they want as well. They don't care about failing.

Nvidia's GeForce now is already consumer ready cloud streaming.

Tencent could build their own console, pushing it first in China, but then globally.

@Ezekiel see above. They're a market leader now, but people act like market leaders haven't changed drastically over time, despite it happening in basically every industry.

They're small man on the totem in movies and tv. Only in music do they have any real size and power outside of gaming. They've fallen desperately behind in electronics.

23 May 2024
Big tech has mountains of money. They can buy every major 3rd party publisher in the industry.

That's American Big Tech and Chinese Big Tech.

It's a reality that gamers want to ignore, but we're already seeing what that looks like.

It's Amazon buying MGM, it's Disney buying Fox (Disney who had already bought Miramax, LucasFilm, Marvel, and Pixar), it's Microsoft buying ABK (Microsoft that had already bought Zenimax), it's Tencent looking to buy Ubisoft (they already have a large share of Epic and several other companies).

You have Apple, Netflix, Microsoft, Tencent, Amazon, Nvidia, and Google... all of which have more money to spend than Sony. Once interest rates fall low enough and the markets pick up again, you're going to see further consolidation in the games industry.

Money made from 3rd party publishers is going to erode over time and yeah, it's absolutely going to usher in an age of streaming games and probably before its ready.

Apple can platform games on MacOS, Apple TV, Apple Arcade, iOS, and iPadOS.

Netflix can stream them via their own cloud services. Same with Microsoft.

Amazon already has a cloud service in Luna.

Google can get back into it and they can also release hardware if they want as well. They don't care about failing.

Nvidia's GeForce now is already consumer ready cloud streaming.

Tencent could build their own console, pushing it first in China, but then globally.

@Ezekiel see above. They're a market leader now, but people act like market leaders haven't changed drastically over time, despite it happening in basically every industry.

They're small man on the totem in movies and tv. Only in music do they have any real size and power outside of gaming. They've fallen desperately behind in electronics.
None of these mergers happen without massive lay offs that end up leading people to make up new third party studios so I would imagine third party remains fine but the risk level is higher.

Reactions: Bryank75

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
None of these mergers happen without massive lay offs that end up leading people to make up new third party studios so I would imagine third party remains fine but the risk level is higher.

How many brand new studios have emerged with the ability to create massive AAA games?

The last "new" studio of note that I can think of would probably be Respawn...who have been around for 14 years and I'd hardly call them a needle mover.

Many of these layoffs happen because of integration... and most of these big tech companies don't actually have development/publishing elements.

I also forgot to include in that Facebook/Meta.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I normally leave @arvfab on ignore, but I'd love to hear your argument refuting that big tech could take over the games industry.

Amazon bought MGM for nearly 10 billion dollars just 2 years ago to bolster Amazon Prime Video. What makes you think they won't buy a game publisher to bolster Amazon Games?

Netflix opened its salvo into gaming 2 years ago.

Nvidia's entire investment into Geforce Now suggests that they might make further investments into developing their own games.

Any reason to doubt Tencent getting more involved?

Like seriously, you're just a troll account at this point.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I normally leave @arvfab on ignore, but I'd love to hear your argument refuting that big tech could take over the games industry.

Amazon bought MGM for nearly 10 billion dollars just 2 years ago to bolster Amazon Prime Video. What makes you think they won't buy a game publisher to bolster Amazon Games?

Netflix opened its salvo into gaming 2 years ago.

Nvidia's entire investment into Geforce Now suggests that they might make further investments into developing their own games.

Any reason to doubt Tencent getting more involved?

Like seriously, you're just a troll account at this point.

As constantly repeated in the past, it's not the possibility of big tech involvement I refuse. But your proposal to stay significant by devaluing the own platform is what I laugh off.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Boswollox

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
As constantly repeated in the past, it's not the possibility of big tech involvement I refuse. But your proposal to stay significant by devaluing the own platform is what I laugh off.

So if you recognize that big tech may get involved and essentially zero out 3rd party royalties, what is your proposal for Sony to stay profitable let alone grow?

• haha
Reactions: Boswollox

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They don't have COD this year (or ever again) to push bundles during the Christmas season and they are really falling behind. Fortnite is the only thing left at that level (until Microsoft buys that too).

That should be a wake-up call for them but they're too busy devaluing their platform and chasing a market that spits on them 😬

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
So if you recognize that big tech may get involved and essentially zero out 3rd party royalties, what is your proposal for Sony to stay profitable let alone grow?

1) By staying the dominant power in consoles, you make it really hard for others to leave your ecosystem.

2) In the worst-case scenario of every major 3rd party being out of your ecosystem, giving your customers a reason to stay (aka exclusives), they would still have people paying for subs.

What you are basically asking for, is for Sony to go 3rd party to stay competitive in the future, as is happening with Xbox right now.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
1) By staying the dominant power in consoles, you make it really hard for others to leave your ecosystem.

2) In the worst-case scenario of every major 3rd party being out of your ecosystem, giving your customers a reason to stay (aka exclusives), they would still have people paying for subs.

What you are basically asking for, is for Sony to go 3rd party to stay competitive in the future, as is happening with Xbox right now.
Yeah I'm reading his scenario and it's like...streaming is the future and Sony needs to drop their consoles to go where??? PC streaming? 😂

It's crazy how these "business analysts" always think Microsoft got it right and they are the model to follow. Basically, follow Xbox trajectory, the future is just around the corner 🤡

Reactions: arvfab

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

This is a fantasy.

PlayStation was never more dominant than when the PS2 was leading the market, yet Resident Evil 0 did not release on PS2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica did not launch on PS2. Why do you think that was? When the value to foreclose is greater than staying, foreclosure happens.

You can ignore that and put your head in the sand, but it doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

Sony doesn't have a single game that sells more than 25 million units on PS5. They never have. People come to PlayStation because of 3rd party games, without those games, those customers are leaving, that's a reality that you don't want to accept. Those subs would also dry up.

No, this is your straw man argument.

My argument is Sony needs to make as much money as they can in the short term to shore up their first party studios to ensure that no matter the direction of the industry, they can compete on their own merits. Something they're unable to do today.

Yeah I'm reading his scenario and it's like...streaming is the future and Sony needs to drop their consoles to go where??? PC streaming? 😂

It's crazy how these "business analysts" always think Microsoft got it right and they are the model to follow. Basically, follow Xbox trajectory, the future is just around the corner 🤡

Microsoft has largely read the tea leaves correctly, they've just executed poorly or taking misguided gambles like GamePass, and part of that poor execution comes from their poor market position.

But this is another straw man. No one said Sony needs to drop consoles and focus on streaming.

Streaming is most likely the future though and if you think it isn't I encourage you to try out Geforce Now with a strong broadband connection. It's already a viable product. The biggest thing holding them back is the game library.

You look at what Sony has done with PS+ vs GamePass and you can see similar strategy with different types of execution. One successful and the other damaging.

If you were even REMOTELY right, we would see some sign of decrease in PSN MAUs. Can you explain why we haven't? The people you are convinced are moving to PC in droves for Sony games whether they're buying them or pirating them, should be decreasing Sony's MAUs. The MAUs are combined PS4 and PS5 owners. If a PS4 owner stops using their PS4 and goes to PC, that number drops off. It's the best metric to gauge the health of PlayStation.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters