Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Home console sales since the 5th gen.

V7KQcj1.png

KFDBO4q.png
PS5 2nd and 3rd years really hold it performance.
Even if it do better this year it will still be lower than previous consoles.

I had the impression that Europe was buying less PS5 due the price or they economic situation.
But this graph shows another big issue.

PS5 stock issues in Europe was way heavy than US and Japan.
In US and Japan even with low stock it still had enough to keep ahead PS4.
In Europe seems the stock issue was ridiculous bad.

300-500k in a full year in France is disastrous to PS.
And after the stock normalized it reached 1400k.

Now I feel way more assured PS5 will catch PS4 in Europe.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Incredible, what a contrast to a free months ago, when Xbox fans thought the acquisitions would allow Xbox to crush PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Where is Switch data?

Annual sales of the Switch, all models combined, according to GFK in France:

2017 : 911.000
2018 : 1.130.000
2019 : 1.250.000
2020 : 1.509.000
2021 : 1.303.000
2022 : 987.000
2023 : 855.000

LTD : 7,945,000 (31/12/2023)

But here we're only talking about home consoles, so the Switch with the Lite model doesn't fit in this comparison.

712S47z.png

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Guys, marketshare is irrelevant. Xbox has considerable momentum.

"Great to see that Xbox isn't messing around. They've built up considerable momentum with a string of excellent Showcases and Directs and it appears they intend to keep the vibes going."

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

"Great to see that Xbox isn't messing around. They've built up considerable momentum with a string of excellent Showcases and Directs and it appears they intend to keep the vibes going."
That narrative was spread on GAF too since 2020 without any base.
They had the ideia that Xbox hype was best than ever due Uncle Phil's team.

I keep trying to show them it was worst than Xbox One hype but nobody believed lol
They can't accept Series launch was definitively worst than the Xbox One launch due the TV TV TV failure in their minds.

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Idk why people think Xbox can make a comeback. At the end Xbox has no exclusive & I’m guessing but a major factor in people considerations getting a console are exclusive then friends then 3rd party games support. Even Xbox does has a strong line up I can get it on PC or better yet Steam own console w the Steamdeck for the same price as a Xbox console

Nintendo has bad online/social aspects & lacks major 3rd party but what it has is countless of true permanent exclusive you can’t play anywhere else. Nintendo releases like 5-10 Nintendo games every year. Switch is in its final life state & just this year 2024 they have 3-5 Nintendo games from there own ip to release in 2024 with likely more to come or be announced for the Switch 2 that already has a strong line up (Metroid 4 & new mainline Pokemon) & I’m not even counting some of the exclusive 3rd party they have aswell

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Home console sales since the 5th gen.

V7KQcj1.png

KFDBO4q.png
Seems PS5 had a good/ok launch window (PS3 was released in March) in 2020 but later got fucked by shortages in 2021 and 2022 but in 2023 almost fully recovered.

I assume in years 2024-2028 the recovery will continue and may perform slightly better than previous PS consoles for each year, slowly recovering what they lost in Y2 and Y3.

Something interesting, launch aligned at this point in France:
  • PS5 sales are 3.4x the X|S ones
  • PS4 sales were 3.4x the XBO ones
  • PS3 sales were 1.5x the 360 ones
  • PS2 sales were 7.9x the Xbox ones
Even if the console market declined in France this generation (mostly due to chip shortages / economy fucked by huge inflation / longer support than usual of the previous gen / console prices increased instead of price cutted), the PS vs Xbox market share seems to be like in the previous gen.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS5 matched my numbers for 2023 not bad. But 2024 numbers should be interesting hopefully we can get information eventually.

Xbox killed its own brand by simply offering no games for 2 years, nobody gonna buy a new console to turn pay a subscription to to play random games.

I use to think Xbox dying would benefit PS5 but it's the opposite now

24 Jun 2022
I'm more interested in those PS numbers; PS5 is lagging severely behind PS4 & PS2 in France. I know part of that is because of pandemic shortages, but their 2023 didn't see a surge in unit sales that I would've expected, it wasn't enough to make up for the missing sales of the pandemic years in France. I don't see PS5 2024 sales in France being large enough to help it catch up with PS4 & PS2 launch-aligned, either.

Which I guess correlates with what we know, that they are behind PS4 launch-aligned in Europe. They would need a massive surge in sales this year to have PS5 catch up with those two systems launch-aligned and I don't think that will happen.

Meanwhile, PS5 might be somewhat ahead of PS4 in the US but it's not by as large a gap as you'd think it could be given the collapse of Xbox sales and slowdown of Switch, suggesting to me that it's losing sales to other platforms like PC. The sales trend in Japan has slowed down significantly, stabilizing at ~ 18K weekly. So it may be ahead of PS4 for now over there, but I think within a couple years it'll be negligible or pacing behind PS4 in that region for lifetime sales unless there's a big uptick again.

Sony's best hope is that other European countries are picking up the slack and that some of them had much bigger 2023 numbers (to make up for shortages in the pandemic) to get them at least close to PS4 levels launch-aligned in those countries, because there isn't much to propel 2024 sales ahead in those places and in fact SIE already have issued guidance saying they expect sales this FY to be down over FY '23. So we know the PS5 Pro (if it launches this year) won't be a propellent to boost sales.

Definitely makes me wonder what lifetime PS5 sales will end up looking like. At this pace, I think ~ 105 - 110 million is a fair estimate. That's for a seven-year period; PS6 probably isn't coming until 2028 so the extra year could help PS5 lap PS4's total lifetime numbers. Even so, I guess the point is: it's going to be a lot closer than it should have been and I don't think the pandemic shortages can be 100% blamed for if/when PS5 tracks behind PS4 launch-aligned globally over the next few years.

At that point, I wonder if certain people will finally start acknowledging that perhaps other decisions 100% within SIE's control, could be to blame?

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023

I think some members in the reeeeee xbox thread are actually working in xbox marketing department but not all of them of course some users are genuine fans