From 2D/3D or Isometric games to 3rd person fully 3D games. Which other games would you like to see make that jump.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Helldivers 2:

1708270002035.png

Diablo 4:

1708270146520.png

Symphony of the Night: I know Castlevania has since transitioned to full 3D for good or for bad but this classic hasn't. Maybe it doesn't need to or should but just giving examples.

1708270334008.png

Many doubted or wondered how Helldivers 2 would Make the transition from being isometric top down, to fully 3D. Needless to say besides the server issues the transition in the world's and graphics have been sublime imo. it transitioned well and plays great when it does and imo is way more immersive and just a better game that way.

Seeing the above mentioned game maje that tradition nicely what are other 2D or Isometric games that you think would benefit from this transition or evolution?

Btw I agree some games should remain 2D or Isometric so tht is not the discussion, more so which ones would you like to see make a transition or think would fit well?

Attachments

• 1708270109850.png
    1708270109850.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Would love to hear opinions. I'd love to play a Symphony of the Night in fully 3D but thts just me since I've beat it a billion times in its current form.

*Also this is not an analytical thread about what isometric ganes consists of whether 2D/3D or a mix of both. We know the difference let's just jeep it on topic of what ganes you'd like to see make that jump.

@Sircaw you might want to murder me but wfat about Diablo? Since you love it so much. You think isometric gives it its charm and should stay?

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I like the isometric look crpgs have. Idk about a fully 3d castlevania like it was tried on the n64 and it just didn't work iirc but then again I think it was due to some wonky mechanics.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Would love to hear opinions. I'd love to play a Symphony of the Night in fully 3D but thts just me since I've beat it a billion times in its current form.

*Also this is not an analytical thread about what isometric ganes consists of whether 2D/3D or a mix of both. We know the difference let's just jeep it on topic of what ganes you'd like to see make that jump.

@Sircaw you might want to murder me but wfat about Diablo? Since you love it so much. You think isometric gives it its charm and should stay?
I think playing speed would be a big factor in making a decision about these things.

What I mean by that is in clearance speed of terrain, being about to zip around, slaughter hundreds of monsters, and then check loot and items that lay on the floor in the blink of an eye.

If it lost the isometric viewpoint, the game would have to be completely slowed down and fundamentally change the way the game plays, not just in viewpoint but in gameplay.

And Blizzard can't even get diablo4 right in its current state, I fret at what a switch to this type of view would do.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I like the isometric look crpgs have. Idk about a fully 3d castlevania like it was tried on the n64 and it just didn't work iirc but then again I think it was due to some wonky mechanics.
Yeah and castlevanuas been 3D for awhile since PS4 the ones they rebooted.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think playing speed would be a big factor in making a decision about these things.

What I mean by that is in clearance speed of terrain, being about to zip around, slaughter hundreds of monsters, and then check loot and items that lay on the floor in the blink of an eye.

If it lost the isometric viewpoint, the game would have to be completely slowed down and fundamentally change the way the game plays, not just in viewpoint but in gameplay.

And Blizzard can't even get diablo4 right in its current state, I fret at what a switch to this type of view would do.
I feel you on that but tht chaos and speed translated well for Helldivers 2. Tons of enemies and mayhem at any given time just like it's isometric big brother. But I definitely get what your saying.

Reactions: Sircaw

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Mega Man could benefit from a 3D AAA approach with an artstyle that would be like in Mega Man 11 but with proportions more similar to the original Mega Man games, and a more animeish cel shading, and regarding level design and combat it would be great to get some Soulsborne influence. Back in the time Mega Man Legends had a cool art style, but the gameplay was awful and was too different from Mega Man both in gameplay and in art style.

Same with Ghost & Goblins: in 3D it could be like Capcom's Soulsborne but with a more cartoonish tone. Capcom had some sort of a 3D spinoff, Maximo, but wasn't good enough.

I'm also looking forward to the upcoming Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, they seem promising and could be good adaptations.

Regarding Castlevania, I think Mercury Steam did a good job with the best selling Castlevania ever and the best selliing Metroid ever, but I think Castlevania today in high-end consoles could be way better.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Project Zomboid AAA.
defend.jpg

Gimme that TLoU Part 2 production value and gameplay, with that Days Gone horde tech, it would be the ultimate game.

This game is more like a zombie apocalypse simulator, with ridiculous attention to detail. The "problem" is that the game development moves at a glacial pace and the tech has been outdated from the start.

Get this indie studio together with an AAA studio and create project Zomboid 2 following the same design philosophy of the original game and it would be historically good.

As for Diablo I honestly don't get what is so good about it and I played/tried everyone but 4, close to release. I only enjoyed the first one, probably because of the novelty factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Project Zomboid AAA.
defend.jpg

Gimme that TLoU Part 2 production value and gameplay, with that Days Gone horde tech, it would be the ultimate game.

This game is more like a zombie apocalypse simulator, with ridiculous attention to detail. The "problem" is that the game development moves at a glacial pace and the tech has been outdated from the start.

Get this indie studio together with an AAA studio and create project Zomboid 2 following the same design philosophy of the original game and it would be historically good.

As for Diablo I honestly don't get what is so good about it and I played/tried everyone but 4, close to release. I only enjoyed the first one, probably because of the novelty factor.
I remember this :)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1708461951832.png

Shining Force too was one of my furst gaming loves. It would be dope to see it fully 3D. Loved this ip.

Reactions: Zzero

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Project Zomboid AAA.
defend.jpg

Fantastic game. Even in Alpha and with glacial development, it's the most feature complete and most in depth survival game out there.