Gacha Game: 'Love Live! School Idol Festival' Breaks Record by Announcing Launch and End of Service in the Same Tweet.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What in the gaming foolery is this? You launch and you cancel at the same time!? I have seen it all.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Did the devs had a change of heart and not rip off people?
Idk but damn to announce and cancel at same time is idiotic asf. The optics are so bad with this it would make me never buy one of their games again if I was ever interested.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume that the reasoning behind this is that due to underperforming or running out of money they had to shut down the game in some months, but maybe had some contractual obligation of releasing it worldwide.

Or wanted to release it worldwide to reduce the loses of the game.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I assume that the reasoning behind this is that due to underperforming or running out of money they had to shut down the game in some months, but maybe had some contractual obligation of releasing it worldwide.

Or wanted to release it worldwide to reduce the loses of the game.
Still a first and ridiculous.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Still a first and ridiculous.
Well, in mobile is pretty frequent to shut down a game during soft launch, before worldwide release. Or soon after worldwide release.

Soft launch means that in mobile gaming before releasing a game worldwide, they only release it in a few countries that are representative of the worldwide market for that genre, or at least representative of one of their main regions.

They release there and watch the game KPIs and feedback and make some tweaks and tests to see how the game will perform when scaled to the worldwide market. If the results aren't good enough, the game gets shut down. If it's good enough, it gets the worldwide release. If the results are somewhat ok but a bit under what they need, they try to do some tweaks to try to improve these areas, sometimes during a a few weeks, months, or in some case even years.

These changes may mean important changes in game features, restart the progression or important in-game economy changes that in some case may upset some players, so it's better to do it with a smaller userbase, before scaling up.

F2P also have important marketing costs for user acquisition costs plus server costs per player, so it's very important to make sure that they have a profitability per player. Because if not, if they scale up the number of players they also scale up the amount of loses. It is very complicated, specially now that with the new regulations they can't target their ads as accuratedly as they did in the past.