GameInformer: Avowed is the same length as Outer Worlds (13- 40 hours)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
capsule_616x353.jpg

Speaking to Game Informer, Game Director Carrie Patel from Obsidian clarified it's going to be fairly short in general for an RPG. She said players can expect a similar length to the studio's previous game, the sci-fi The Outer Worlds.

The best comparison for Avowed in terms of scope is The Outer Worlds. Players can expect a roughly similar experience, just like The Outer Worlds, depending on what kind of difficulty they play on, and how thoroughly they explore and invest inside content, versus just sticking to the main crit path missions.

Patel made a similar comment last year, comparing Avowed to The Outer Worlds or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. The latter would have been preferable in terms of length since it required over 30 hours just for the main story and over 40 hours when including side content.

The Outer Worlds, on the other hand, is one of the shortest high-profile RPGs around. The main story can be completed in just over 13 hours, while side content doubles that amount to around 26. For comparison, other non-open world RPGs like The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age II require between 24 and 37 hours to complete. With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian had the excuse of a shoestring budget, having picked Take-Two's indie label Private Division as the publisher.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Never finished the Outer Worlds fell off it and think it had to do with the short length. They were still making a open world Bethesda RPG but in a smaller scale and I think the overall package felt weird because of it. I know some people felt the same way that The Outer Worlds left them feeling like there wasn't enough that the game was giving them.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Microsoft will shut down Obsidian when the game fails

It’s quite possible that may be the outcome.

Bethesda games are more likely to be multiplatform from the onset but I’m hoping Avowed is in consideration much like Sea of Thieves.

Obsidian is one of the few internal studios they have left with potential outside of Bethesda/Zenimax and Activision. I think avowed doesn’t look great at all in regards to presentation thus far but I’m optimistic coming off outer worlds.

I enjoy the Bethesdajank genre of rpg but would prefer if they weren’t trying to go for 200 hour plus experiences. The more focused game may serve me better.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Microsoft will shut down Obsidian when the game fails

Bethesda games are more likely to be multiplatform from the onset but I’m hoping Avowed is in consideration much like Sea of Thieves.

Obsidian is one of the few internal studios they have left with potential outside of Bethesda/Zenimax and Activision. I think avowed doesn’t look great at all in regards to presentation thus far but I’m optimistic coming off outer worlds.

I enjoy the Bethesdajank genre of rpg but would prefer if they weren’t trying to go for 200 hour plus experiences. The more focused game may serve me better.
I don’t think they would shut down Obsidian. They would probably turn them into a BGS support studio. Or have them make spin-off Fallout games.

• thisistheway
Reactions: 2spooky5me

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Avowed will be the piss poor version of BG3 albeit with real time combat, but the whole problem with the game is the reduction of scope with every article that is being written about the game, Outer Worlds was an aggressively mid game and if Obsidian are targeting to make a similar 7/10 fantasy game then Avowed will deliver based on those parameters. We will just have to sit through another mind numbing discourse about xbox tax and what not as is the case with xbox games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Avowed will be the piss poor version of BG3 albeit with real time combat, but the whole problem with the game is the reduction of scope with every article that is being written about the game, Outer Worlds was an aggressively mid game and if Obsidian are targeting to make a similar 7/10 fantasy game then Avowed will deliver based on those parameters. We will just have to sit through another mind numbing discourse about xbox tax and what not as is the case with xbox games.

Outer Worlds was a smaller game even at the time. They didn’t have the publisher or budget they do now. Only thing I disliked really that I wish it was a tad bit less parody so let’s see how the writing fares. Avowed has a lot to prove for sure too.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
That's a reasonable length for any single player adventure game. Remains to be seen whether the same can be said about actual content quality.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
There have been several trailers of this game and nothing in them has looked remotely interesting to me. The in depth podcast episode Xbox did around it made a worse impression on me TBQH. And I'm one of the people who has no problem signing up to a $1 PC Game Pass trial to try out their exclusives.