Developers say big Game Pass and Epic exclusive deals have dried up for indie devs

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
It's not easy to get funding for a new game right now.

In an interview at last week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, the developers behind indie sensations Slay the Spire and Darkest Dungeon said that the deal some small developers have come to rely on for funding in recent years—like Epic Game Store exclusives and Xbox Game Pass—are no longer what they once were.

"I talked to at least five small teams, like 35 [members] and under, during GDC, and they're like: Cuts, cuts, cuts, funding canceled, talks that were going on for a year, canceled," said Casey Yano, the co-founder of Slay the Spire studio Mega Crit. "It sounds like it's shit. We're definitely very privileged to be able to self-fund. [Otherwise] I'd be very, very, very scared right now."

Slay the Spire launched to slow sales in Steam early access before eventually becoming a deckbuilding juggernaut. Darkest Dungeon was likewise a Steam early access success; both games are available on PC Game Pass, though DD director Chris Bourassa said that Microsoft's deals for getting games on Game Pass have "come down in scope" since the subscription service began.

"Way down," Yano added.

"So has Epic," Bourassa said. "The Gold Rush is over. I come from the Northwest Territories. The town I'm from was built on gold, and then they found diamonds further north. Maybe another paradigm shift is waiting for us, but I definitely think the scale of the deals I'm hearing about is significantly dimishese from the big swinging days. Certainly we got our Epic [deal] at the right time."

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Good! All the indies made a big letter in support of Activision because "the tide lifts all boat" and Microsoft was going to save them from poverty.

Now all the Mike Rose and other indies can drown in that boat.

Love It Thumbs Up GIF by Pudgy Penguins

24 Jun 2022
Why fund indies to go into a service you're scaling back on vs B2P sales as a multiplatform publisher?

This fate was sealed the moment ABK was acquired.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, they have now seen the limits of the Gamepass strategy.

Even the fanboys got the message and are now pushing the idea that Steam & Epic on Xbox will somehow give them victory... sad.
No, they pushing new narrative that Playstation games will be on xbox one way or another 😂

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Slay the Spire is a fantastic game, I am surprised they can not get funding for another project.

I seriously would of thought it they did a kick starter they would meet their goals.

They didn't say they needed funding, but they have asked around and getting funding for devs in general is scarce, but they are happy they can afford to self-publish, when other devs can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sircaw

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
No one saw this coming 🤣

It was never going to last just a desperate ploy in taking advantages of independent developers and hopefully alienating them from PlayStation.

It didn't help GamePass grow nor did it help undies in the end.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Everyone saw this coming. Knew time was near when Metaphor Refantazio didnt get announced for gamepass day one. Same with like a dragon, maybe even the giant bag they have been giving sega is drying up to keep getting support for the platform. Be interesting to see how many xbox players love these games when its not a download click and they have to buy something

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Indies are single player, closed loop games. Everything is contained in a nice little box. If there's DLC, it's wanted by the community.

Why fund indies that won't bring in that mtx, online money money?

Microsoft want Minecraft; a multiplayer game that they can whore out, rather than single player games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Of course they would be cast aside in their hour of need, that is what you get when you give up long term success for money in the shorterm.

It only ever made sense for studios with known flops on their hands.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Oh looks like the money laundering funds dried up
Xbox buying Activision was their undoing. Shareholders and Satya are now tuned in more than ever. You don't drag the CEO out to defend your purchase, while getting the company's name dragged left and right internationally and not expect the leash to be reeled in.