Games should be designed with no crouch first, to avoid some of the issues making gaming feel stagnant

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I feel like many games, particularly open-world ones have too many commonalities and gameplay depends too much in particular on crouching.

This is quite funny to me, since crouching isn't so common as an everyday position...I would go as far to say jumping or vaulting is more commonly needed....but you see games often not having a jump option out of fear it could be used to subvert the game in some way.

Isn't it time we got beyond these fears and started giving players real freedom....freedom from crouch mode!

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Crouching depends on the game itself. I crouch a lot in games because I like to do stealth first and if/when detected, then it just becomes a shootout or pure melee combat. A game like The Division doesn't have crouching because it's not a stealth game. All depends on if there's stealth in the game and to what extent, stealth plays for that particular game.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Crouching is for the waist high cover shootout rooms, right? It might mske gun abit steadier than standing shooting, sometimes, too.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Crouching is for the waist high cover shootout rooms, right? It might mske gun abit steadier than standing shooting, sometimes, too.
Well that's what I mean, the game shouldn't be designed around that completely.

The game should be made without crouching and then they can put in the crouching after but not have everything designed around that one function.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I feel like many games, particularly open-world ones have too many commonalities and gameplay depends too much in particular on crouching.

This is quite funny to me, since crouching isn't so common as an everyday position...I would go as far to say jumping or vaulting is more commonly needed....but you see games often not having a jump option out of fear it could be used to subvert the game in some way.

Isn't it time we got beyond these fears and started giving players real freedom....freedom from crouch mode!
I remember that in the beat'em ups you got some salads or roasted chicken lying in the floor.

I don't care about crouching, but I think all the games must feature a roll button, like in Syphon Filter. And a fishing minigame. Games can't be considered GOTY candidates if they miss one of the two.

• Cerny

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Designing environments around crouching does make the action seem like less of a choice …. you can see that we put this grass here for you to crouch in.

I think you may be on to something. Aka by not trying to shoe in certain capabilities the maps/environments may end up with greater variety / uniqueness and lose some of the cut and paste “set pieces” we see today.

Cool idea!

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I personally enjoy open-world.

922e6934-7b57-4b4e-8233-3c2d1ebb38d4_text.gif

• Shake

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well in real life I don way more crouching than jumping.
But I have kids so maybe that is the reason :D :D :D

Not kidding anymore... a lot of things I do at home I need crouch.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

You should be banned for making this type of thread.

WTF @Bryank75.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Next time he will ask to ban run in games because he doesn't like to run in real life 🔥

Edit - Maybe he wants a game where you sit in a living room and play games? :unsure:

Confused The Point GIF by Travis

He meant that the open world shouldn't be designed around crouch/cover for the sake of gameplay only which makes places predictable, repetitive, and boring. Not about crouching itself. For example The Division game world is designed around cover.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

FFS, mate. Here's the translation in English from an Arabic teacher:

I feel like many games, particularly open-world ones have too many commonalities and world design depends too much on crouching and cover mechanics.

Isn't it time we got beyond these fears and started giving players real freedom....freedom from crouch mode gameplay design!