GameStop stores in Ireland to be shut down this year (All and time unspecified as of yet)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
After an update of the Gamestop website some weeks ago, many feared the worst for Gamestops Irish chain of stores.

The message communicated that they would no longer take trade-ins, new members or pre-orders.

I can confirm after speaking to a store manager, that they have indeed been told that the stores will be closed down and to prepare but the date is not known yet.

This is a huge blow to gaming and retail in general in Ireland as the locations often served as an area to discuss and meet people with similar interests as well as one of the main locations to buy new gaming hardware.

I hope all that are eventually effected by the closing of stores land on their feet.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm always worried this will happen to all Gamestops eventually. I'm able to do so many deals because of Gamestop. I won't play as many new releases without them.

It sucks how gaming is bigger than ever but they can't make it work for retail. There were more gaming stores in the early 2000s when the business was smaller. Crazy.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
To go into things a little deeper, the manager explained that covid of course hit them badly but their move away from gaming to toys, memorabilia and funk pops had essentially killed them.... in the short term they saw business go up but in the longer term people didn't take to them and most of the items were overpriced and available everywhere else for far less.

They also cited Nintendo's returns policy as damaging the business. Although my understanding of why it hurt Gamestop is very limited based on his quick explanation.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sad news, but their shift to funko pops and their low trade in values hurt them.

Losing brick and mortar stores like Gamestop would hurt physical media imo, which would suck, though there are at least still other places you can get that from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
the same happened to Norway's GameStops. they were great here. it was pity really.

Are they closed already there?

I remember I got the steelbook edition of Control and it was brought in through Norways Gamestops and had not a single bit of english on the box... but it was beautiful.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Exactly, that was where I bought all my CE's... I really don't know where to go for them now. Amazon?

Amazon doesn't usually have them as well. PlayStation directo (for PS collectors) doesn't ship to Ireland. You can try Game.co.uk and see if they ship here, I will. Else, I'll order from another EU country when possible.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75