Gaming giant Steam accused of ripping off 14m UK gamers

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
93480860-27da-11ef-baa7-25d483663b8e.jpg.webp

The owner of Steam - the largest digital distribution platform for PC games in the world - is being sued for £656m. Valve Corporation is being accused of using its market dominance to overcharge 14 million people in the UK. "Valve is rigging the market and taking advantage of UK gamers," said digital rights campaigner Vicki Shotbolt, who is bringing the case. Valve has been contacted for comment.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
i agree with you, I trust the mega cooperation, they would never try to screw anyone over.
Let me remind you that Sony is being sued over the same thing. A parasite looking to earn a quick buck is suing Sony because PSN prices are high and people with lower incomes can't buy games. How does that make sense? It's Steam so fuck them?

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Let me remind you that Sony is being sued over the same thing. A parasite looking to earn a quick buck is suing Sony because PSN prices are high and people with lower incomes can't buy games. How does that make sense? It's Steam so fuck them?
'It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms.'

If that's true then they do have a case against valve

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't trust Sony either,

In fact, I don't think I trust any companies out there besides a few animal and welfare charities.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
'It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms.'

Got it. I can't open the link as I was going by the OP description of

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Sony (and all platforms) does the same, it's to protect their customers from paying higher prices.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm not sure why you laugh. This is a widespread thing and that's the reasoning they use. It makes sense and it's not just about Sony.

Maybe that's the next thing you can be angry about. That and the rootkits in Helldivers 🙄

Reactions: xollowsob

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm not sure why you laugh. This is a widespread thing and that's the reasoning they use. It makes sense and it's not just about Sony.

Maybe that's the next thing you can be angry about. That and the rootkits in Helldivers 🙄

I know that's the reasoning they use, but that reasoning is bullshit.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Na as much as I hate pc players Steam doesn't do that what steam asks for is that there be a price parity across all platforms on PC, so you can't sell a game at 60$ on steam and 40$ on other pc storefronts which is frankly justified and well within the rights of valve, now the rival platforms can offer a discount by reducing their share in the purchase price so the devs get more but you cant sell a game at 60$ at one place and for lower at other places. This is plain entitlement as they could go sell at epic or gog for lower prices cutting out the steam version but they want the reach of steam at the same time charging them more

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Weird how Microsofts rivals keep getting hit with lawsuits but they just skate on by.
You beat me to it.
Microsoft try and buy steam (rumour),
Steam attacked by Microsoft lugenpresse.

The Simpsons nailed it with, "Buy em out boys". Microsoft don't get rich by writing a lot of cheques.

A story as old as time.