Gears of War 6 Update is Bad News for Fans of the Franchise

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Fans of Gears of War might be bummed to hear what JD Fenix's voice actor has to say about the next installment of Xbox's shooter franchise.

306171-gears-5-kait-diaz-james-fenix-4k.jpg

Liam McIntyre, the voice actor of Marcus Fenix's son JD Fenix in the Gears of War franchise, has disappointing news for fans who are eagerly awaiting the next installment in the series. The most recent mainline Gears of War title to be released was Gears 5 in 2019 and was considered a solid entry into Xbox's popular third-person shooter gore fest, with the acclaimed Hivebusters DLC following just over a year later in 2020.

Since then, Gears developer The Coalition has been working closely with Epic Games to develop two short tech demos using Epic's brand new Unreal Engine 5. The Matrix Awakens demo shadow dropped on the night of The Game Awards 2021 and just last April The Coalition's "The Caverns" demo debuted. Both projects impressed gamers with high quality character models and graphical fidelity. In the past The Coalition has always shown it's been ahead of the curve when it comes to mastering Unreal, and with the engine's fifth iteration the developers have once again flexed their prowess with Epic Games' tech. That said, many Gears and Xbox fans feel it's time for the studio to channel that Unreal expertise into its next project

In an interview with Dexerto, JD Fenix's voice actor Liam McIntyre expressed that he has yet to hear anything from The Coalition regarding Gears of War 6. Since JD Fenix has been such an important character as the son of franchise icon Marcus Fenix, fans would be expecting him to be in the next installment of the series.

However, those who have played Gears 5 know that near the end of the game players can choose to save either JD or Del Walker from the clutches of Queen Myrrah. Perhaps The Coalition decided to move ahead with JD's death as the canon choice for Gears 6, thus excluding McIntyre from production. However, if this were the case, McIntyre would likely have still been informed about it as a major cast member of the franchise.

Gears 6 not yet entering production makes sense when considering that in 2021 it was reported that The Coalition was working on a new IP, pushing the sixth Gears installment further down the road. However, earlier this year it's been rumored that The Coalition has canceled two games and moved on to Gears 6 instead. If this is the case it would mean Gears 6 could likely still be in pre-production without the need to get voice actors involved yet. It would also mean that Gears 6 is still several years away. While The Coalition's current project is still very much a mystery, perhaps Gears fans will gain some clarity when Xbox holds its Games Showcase in June.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom
P

peter42O

Personally, I saved Del and want J.D. gone. More than anything, I want to see the current Kait story line wrapped up with Gears of War 6 and then give me a brand new trilogy with the characters from Hivebusters. In that new trilogy, give me all three characters with different abilities/weapons/skills, etc. Add an actual melee combat system, a weapon wheel, allow me to throw grenades using the RB button instead of having to equip them and go back to the linear setup of Hivebusters. Give ma a 12-15 hour story campaign and im good to go.

On an side note, I really want a Gears survivor horror game with Gabe Diaz from Gears Tactics. They already have the horror aspects, atmosphere, monsters/enemies, etc. Will most likely never happen but I hope that at some point, it does.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Mechanics wise it needs a modern refresh (that god awful crouched run jezz). As far as the conjecture is concerned.... not sure. The Coalition has proven they're able to ship.