Genshin Impact Summons $5 Billion in Mobile Consumer Spending Faster Than Any Previous Game

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
data.ai article

miHoYo’s open world RPG remains a major draw three years after its groundbreaking release.​

Although most of the attention toward publisher miHoYo’s output in recent months has been focused on its most recent release, the award-winning Honkai: Star Rail, its immediate predecessor has just crossed a major milestone. Launched in September 2020 on iOS, Android, consoles and PC, Genshin Impact has now seen an estimated $5 billion spent by players in the title, data.ai Intelligence reveals, further cementing it as one of the highest-earning games ever — mobile or otherwise.
This figure includes spending in the game via Apple’s App Store and Google Play, but even absent income from third-party Android marketplaces, revenue from the iOS version of Genshin Impact alone in China has totaled nearly $1.5 billion. That makes the game’s home country its largest revenue contributor at approximately 30% of total consumer spend, followed by Japan at #2 with close to $1.06 billion or about 21% and the United States at #3 having generated $903 million or 18%.

It took Genshin Impact 40 months to gross its $5 billion grand sum, which makes it the fastest mobile title to reach that mark. The second-fastest in the standings is Clash of Clans at 51 months. The most recent mobile title to cross $5 billion was Gardenscapes after 91 months on the app stores. All told, there are now 13 mobile games that have surpassed $5 billion in combined consumer spending through the iOS App Store and Google Play.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I bet you its a few rich whales that make most of that, for some reason Weebs have a lot of Money

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I bet you its a few rich whales that make most of that, for some reason Weebs have a lot of Money
Actually a good chunk of it probably comes from the battlepass and monthly $5 pass that gives you some pull currency. I'd guess at least 1/3 of the playerbase buys the $5 monthly pass.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Actually a good chunk of it probably comes from the battlepass and monthly $5 pass that gives you some pull currency. I'd guess at least 1/3 of the playerbase buys the $5 monthly pass.

Your hunch is most likely very correct. I don't know if the thread was made earlier on this particular website, but Genshin Impact provided 1B in revenue on PlayStation from the leaks and we have a lot of data on spending for various GaaS games.

In particular one of the slides paints the picture that a lot of people have in fact many transactions.
48% of the players who spent money on the game have more than 16 transactions.
There's more info to gleam from the slides.

Of course the Mobile/PC playerbase might be behaving differently than PlayStation, with more gacha whales.

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs