GI.biz: Why there will never be another Destiny

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
On the game's tenth anniversary, analysts, developers and journalists reflect on the impact Bungie's sci-fi shared world shooter has had on the games industry.

"Destiny deserves to be studied as the encapsulation of a very specific period in the development of video games, one that I don't think we'll ever get back to"
Rachel Weber, IGN

"Everyone's leaned on the 'Bungie magic' and the rabbit hasn't always come out of the hat in the way everyone had hoped"
Mat Piscatella, Circana

"Most games inspired by Destiny have been unable to deliver its longevity and long-term engagement"
Piers Harding-Rolls, Ampere Analysis

"Destiny has always been super interesting to watch from the perspective of a director and designer, but I don't envy them. That's a monster to tame."
Rami Ismail

I just quoted some well quotes from the article... it is better to have a full read.

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Because developers now know Live Service should value replayability over one and done campaigns

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well.... There will be a Destiny 3 but there won't be another franchise like it.

Is that what they're trying to say?

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well.... There will be a Destiny 3 but there won't be another franchise like it.

Most publishers that tried their own Destiny “clone” failed miserably and so they don’t believe any other will do the same success as Bungie.

Of when they talk about Destiny means all games because technically they are interactions or the same game.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Basically they mean that it was a game of its time, back then innovative and many tried to copy and most failed to do it successfully.

They also mean that nowadays the top performing GaaS formula evolved to other things like Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, GTA Online, etc. so don't see other people trying the Destiny approach (10 years roadmap, PvE + PvP + PvPvE GaaS FPS with many RPG stuff and tons of content and that business model) and would try to follow these newer hits instead.

They weren't talking about the chances of getting a Destiny 3/future Destiny game.

• brain

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Basically they mean that it was a game of its time, back then innovative and many tried to copy and most failed to do it successfully.

They also mean that nowadays the top performing GaaS formula evolved to other things like Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, GTA Online, etc. so don't see other people trying the Destiny approach (10 years roadmap, PvE + PvP + PvPvE GaaS FPS with many RPG stuff and tons of content and that business model) and would try to follow these newer hits instead.

They weren't talking about the chances of getting a Destiny 3/future Destiny game.
Good, cause I really need a Destiny 3... Someday.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The “spin-offs” were definitely meant to replace the core game for new generations. But they backpedaled away from that to currently double down on D2. They were a terrible idea.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Good, cause I really need a Destiny 3... Someday.
For what they mention on the new Destiny 2 direction, I think they'll continue with this game forever, slowly changing everything (including the engine or even the name) but keeping the game and userbase to don't need to start from scratch.

In terms of development and game design, to start a new story arc moving to non-linear storytelling and even doing so with different approaches is a very big deal. Requires a lot of work and would be something to do it in a new separate game. Plus also changing their business model in the process, it's a bold move. If they don't move with this to Destiny 3 I don't know with what they'd do it.

I think maybe at some point -maybe once they move to the new engine- they may rebrand it as Destiny 3, Super Destiny or whatever else, but I think the game will continue being the same (meaning, same game SKU, userbase, progress).

I assume they first want to make sure they find a way to make the game more friendly to new players, and that non-linear narrative with smaller stories that keep being added sounds promising for that. I think that to simplify the menu / UI making easier to understand the stuff to do and rewards also helps here.

It would also help to also streamline / make easier to understand for newbies the progression / unlocks / upgrades / crafting, plus also to ensure new players don't get overwhelmed by a ton of stuff they don't understand, and also to create more stuff newbie friendly like that single player content they are doing, maybe some coop modes or party minigames where skill isn't that important, or maybe some tutorial made in a fun way hidden as some short storyline, plus also to keep some (or all) PvP parts as a more hardcore/top player focused thing while others being more skill based match making / just for fun.

• they're_right_you_know

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

There is no formula in GaaS.
GaaS success is completely random. Let's assume there is no Roblox and someone made the game and asked you to play. Now tell me if you would think that shit will be downloaded by 10 people.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There is no formula in GaaS.
GaaS success is completely random. Let's assume there is no Roblox and someone made the game and asked you to play. Now tell me if you would think that shit will be downloaded by 10 people.
There's no success formula in GaaS game, like there is no success formula in non-GaaS games.

But most of the most played and top grossing games are GaaS. And the majority of the game revenue comes from GaaS and the majority of players userbase is in GaaS.

The success of games, GaaS or not, isn't random. There are things that make some players prefer game A over game B. And other things that make other players prefer game B over game A. Game tastes evolve, and maybe some games get unlucky because are released when many people who would get them are busy with something else.

Regarding the "shit" Destiny, back when released it was the best selling new IP ever. Destiny 2 has been a great success too, as were their Halo games before it. Marathon's announcement video broke records. Destiny 3 would be very successful too, absolutely nothing leads to think it would be unsuccessful.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There will be a Destiny 3.
As much as I love Destiny the other games trying the formula just havent done a good enough job apart from Borderlands. Thats why its one of the few successes. The formula isnt really much different to FF14. EA and Ubisofts attempts just werent close in gameplay and content quality. But when someone does it probably it will be a success.

Bungie financial issues are basically because there were running off Destiny 2 profits while making 3 more games. So if another studio has a success with a game like Destiny it will be fine. As long as they dont use the money to make a million other projects

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
There's no success formula in GaaS game, like there is no success formula in non-GaaS games.

But most of the most played and top grossing games are GaaS. And the majority of the game revenue comes from GaaS and the majority of players userbase is in GaaS.

The success of games, GaaS or not, isn't random. There are things that make some players prefer game A over game B. And other things that make other players prefer game B over game A. Game tastes evolve, and maybe some games get unlucky because are released when many people who would get them are busy with something else.

Regarding the "shit" Destiny, back when released it was the best selling new IP ever. Destiny 2 has been a great success too, as were their Halo games before it. Marathon's announcement video broke records. Destiny 3 would be very successful too, absolutely nothing leads to think it would be unsuccessful.
You are the most professional bullshitter in planet earth. I recommend IconEra to vote for you a position with Phil Spencer.