God of War: Ragnarok dev reveals how he used his baby's real in-womb heartbeat to create the game's soundscape

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1704322007047.png

A God of War: Ragnarok developer has revealed that one of the game's subtlest sound effects is the sound of their baby's heartbeat from inside the womb.

In a recent tweet, PlayStation senior sound designer Alex Previty revealed what went into creating the sound effects heard during the Spark of the World section of God of War: Ragnarok. In a clip, you can see Kratos looking around the environment as a peculiar echoing sound rings out around him. Underneath that, a heartbeat sound rings out, adding a strangely visceral effect.

That's likely deliberate given the story implications of this part of the game, which I won't spoil here, but it turns out that that heartbeat effect is very real. Previty revealed that the sound "is actually my daughter's heartbeat while she was still in the womb," and that he recorded it using a Doppler - a fetal heartbeat monitoring device.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yes, I saw that. It's very cool and he will be able to tell his child that it was their heart in the game when they're a bit older.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes, I saw that. It's very cool and he will be able to tell his child that it was their heart in the game when they're a bit older.
Definitely cool! Being memorialized in a game to me is the biggest flex!

• Shake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Definitely cool! Being memorialized in a game to me is the biggest flex!

Just you wait until the next Game and what they have done with Farts.

Power Rangers Fart GIF

• thisistheway