Goldeneye is still in limbo because of the war. 1 v 100's team lead left Microsoft.- (Jeff Grubb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Over the past six months-or-so, we've been treated to a whole bunch of rumours and even concrete information that a GoldenEye 007 port for Xbox not only exists, but seems ready to go, however it has still yet arrive on the platform.

The latest update from reporter Jeff Grubb is that the release is "still in limbo because of the war", with no further information provided. Windows Central's Jez Corden was also asked about this, but advised he's never heard anything about the GoldenEye 007 project for Xbox via his own sources.

In any case, the port is definitely the real deal, as achievements for the game began popping up on the official Xbox website last month, and Rare employees have been spotted unlocking those achievements throughout the year.

• thinking_hard
  • haha
Reactions: Kretos and Bryank75

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why would the game be in limbo because of the war? Genuine question.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why would the game be in limbo because of the war? Genuine question.

Yea I guess main lead was from Ukraine or Poland. So he was working remotely, and the war pushed him to leave. So now its changed hands and he was the main driving force of this project supposedly hence Grubb reporting that it was in Limbo at the moment. Makes sense that we saw a lot of stuff for it, like achievment leaks, and a lot of teasing by Xbox shows/Podcasts. Then Silence.

And it makes sense now that it was probably planned originally for XBox show to be stealth dropped alter this summer, but Lead leaving because of the war in Ukraine has now stalled it.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yea I guess main lead was from Ukraine or Poland. So he was working remotely, and the war pushed him to leave. So now its changed hands and he was the main driving force of this project supposedly hence Grubb reporting that it was in Limbo at the moment. Makes sense that we saw a lot of stuff for it, like achievment leaks, and a lot of teasing by Xbox shows/Podcasts. Then Silence.

And it makes sense now that it was probably planned originally for XBox show to be stealth dropped alter this summer, but Lead leaving because of the war in Ukraine has now stalled it.

Ah that makes sense then, thank you for the context.

Reactions: Bryank75

Kretos

The Legend - Scourge of the Green Rats
21 Jun 2022
but some ppl told me Halo shitfinite was 2021 goty

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Can't wait for people to finally realize this game was never any good.
I’m worried that will happen as well. The port of Perfect Dark on Xbox 360 wasn’t really any fun.
I had fun with Goldeneye on the N64, but it's the classic case of local-multiplayer disguising how bad a game actually was, same thing that happens with some online and co-op games these day, you play with friends and have fun but doing pretty much anything with your friends is going to be fun, even playing a bad game.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Can't wait for people to finally realize this game was never any good.
This is an untrue statement IMO, and it's easy to disprove.

Millions of people had an absolutel blast playing it solo and with their friends, and have great memories of doing so. That is a fact. The game was amazing on console for its time.

However, I don't think it would be very fun these days given how far the genre has come and what it would be like to revisit it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just let Nintendo add it to the Switch Classics so I can play it lol

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
This is an untrue statement IMO, and it's easy to disprove.

Millions of people had an absolutel blast playing it solo and with their friends, and have great memories of doing so. That is a fact. The game was amazing on console for its time.

However, I don't think it would be very fun these days given how far the genre has come and what it would be like to revisit it.
A good game is a good game, if it didn't age well it's just being exposed for what it always was. All these console FPS games were pretty bad games for a long time, even Halo gets way overhyped just because it was more competent than the average console shooter of it's time but it didn't hold a candle to FPS that were on PC.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
A good game is a good game, if it didn't age well it's just being exposed for what it always was. All these console FPS games were pretty bad games for a long time, even Halo gets way overhyped just because it was more competent than the average console shooter of it's time but it didn't hold a candle to FPS that were on PC.
I disagree. We had limitations in those days that we had not really experienced "beyond." At least on console. And I think those were still the very early days of 3D accelerators on PC, so it wasn't great there either.

Goldeneye in its day was fresh, innovative, and exciting. There was nothing like it anywhere, not even PC. But today it feels clunky. Thats why it was fun then, but wouldn't be as much today.

Those same things are true of a large amount of the N64 and PS1 libraries IMO. It's just harder to go back to those very early 3D days.

Just because something "doesn't age well" doesn't mean it wasn't "good for it's time." This happens with every form of creative entertainment. It's the stuff that is "timeless" that is truly unique and rare, and that's what makes those titles so special.

Craig of War

Banned
12 Jul 2022
This don't make much sense to me there are games releasing with war in it right now
Goldeneye is old as fuck there should be no problem with offending Russian lol

Reactions: Cragarmi

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This don't make much sense to me there are games releasing with war in it right now
Goldeneye is old as fuck there should be no problem with offending Russian lol
Yeah I think it's bull tbh, just trying to cover for his 'leaks' which haven't turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.