GOW Valhalla (DLC) Review Thread "There is no stopping the God of War, his reign continues".

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1702834999034.png
God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla

DEVELOPER(S)​

Santa Monica Studios

PUBLISHER(S)​

Sony Interactive Entertainment

DIRECTOR(S)​

Eric Williams

SERIES​

God of War

ENGINE​

System created by Sony Santa Monica

PLATFORM(S)​

PlayStation 5
PlayStation 4

RELEASE DATE(S)​

December 12th, 2023

MODE(S)​

Single Player

RATING(S)​

M (ESRB)
18 (PEGI)

MEDIA​

Digital Download

God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla, also called Valhalla is a free DLC pack for God of War Ragnarök that was released on December 12, 2023.

Following the events of the main game, Kratos and Mimir venture into Valhalla, where they had to go through a series of mysterious trials while at the same time Kratos attempts to make peace with his past along with what he used to be.

"Set after the decisive battle against Odin and Atreus’ departure, Kratos has seen a path for himself that he never thought possible before. Brought to the mysterious shores of Valhalla accompanied only by Mimir, Kratos will enter its unknown depths to overcome trials within himself and face echoes of his past".

Reviews:

Push Square
8 / 10
But Why Tho?
9 / 10
Seasoned Gaming
9.5 / 10
Digital Trends
Unscored
Press Start
Unscored

1702835271796.png

But Why Tho?
DEC 14, 2023
God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla is not only a can’t-miss DLC, but it tells an even more personal story. What Sony Santa Monica has done is beyond impressive, forcing Kratos to confront his past in ways never expected... Even if you don’t like roguelikes, do yourself a favor and don’t miss this DLC for what still may be one of the greatest action series ever made.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Push Square
DEC 14, 2023
God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla is a brilliant addition to a brilliant game. Not only does it remix the core title's combat in a compelling, highly replayable roguelite mode, it does so with Santa Monica's usual cinematic style, weaving in meaningful story that'll keep you hooked while it lasts. Fans of the series really shouldn't pass on this — and, because it's totally free, there's no reason to do so.
Read More
FULL REVIEW
PLAYSTATION 5

Digital Trends
DEC 14, 2023
God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla isn't just a fun free DLC; it's a fitting epilogue to the entire God of War series.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't know, I tried it and could not get into it that much.

I miss the combat from the old games.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Seems to ve solid overall with some even preferring it over the main story.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Imagine releasing such a quality DLC like this and it's all for Free.

This is the kind of stuff that companies need to get back to doing.

Looking at you Blizzard and Netherealms to name but a few.

Greedy hoes.

eating GIF

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I give it a 10/10.

I was surprised by how much they touched on Kratos history, they gave it a lot of respect and didn't try to run away from his past at all like a lot of other reboots do. I loved it, it makes his entire story more cohesive and everything comes full circle. If you've been a GoW fan since the PS2 days like me, then this DLC is a must play. It makes these games really feel like a true journey. The gameplay loop is amazing and well done, the glyph power ups are creative and there's a lot of different play styles you can do with them. It's challenging enough to not be obnoxious, every weapon feels balanced, and when you get a good loadout, Kratos feels like a beast and its fun as hell to play.

I can't believe it was free and that Santa Monica made it in only one year 😳 They're really the best Sony studio hands down, and God of War is the best Sony IP hands down.

HEAVY END OF DLC SPOILERS: These parts gave me goosebumps!!!
IMG_8597.png
IMG_8596.png

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sony Santa Monica won’t cut corners or deliver half-assed free DLC.

I’m 3/4 done. So far it is a 10/10. Bravo!

Now I want a remake of the first three games.
I hvnt jumped in but as soon as I finish Resi 4 VR I will.

• Shake
Reactions: Entropi
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm not sure why more reviews haven't dropped for this, it's not a long game
I guess just because it's dlc and so many games have been dropping so they aren't really focused on reviewing dlc.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I like this DLC more than the Crater, I wish we got this instead of the crater

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I give it a 10/10.

I was surprised by how much they touched on Kratos history, they gave it a lot of respect and didn't try to run away from his past at all like a lot of other reboots do. I loved it, it makes his entire story more cohesive and everything comes full circle. If you've been a GoW fan since the PS2 days like me, then this DLC is a must play. It makes these games really feel like a true journey. The gameplay loop is amazing and well done, the glyph power ups are creative and there's a lot of different play styles you can do with them. It's challenging enough to not be obnoxious, every weapon feels balanced, and when you get a good loadout, Kratos feels like a beast and its fun as hell to play.

I can't believe it was free and that Santa Monica made it in only one year 😳 They're really the best Sony studio hands down, and God of War is the best Sony IP hands down.

HEAVY END OF DLC SPOILERS: These parts gave me goosebumps!!!
IMG_8597.png
IMG_8596.png
They've always been super pro consumer. They were one of the few who did free multiplayer DLC back in the day as well for God of War: Ascension as they didn't want to split the player pool.