Grain of 🧂Lords of The Fallen "dev" says the game was originally made for Unreal 4. Unreal Engine 5 broke the game

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1697249831447.png

A supposed Lords of The Fallen dev went foward saying that HexWorks and Cigames was aware that the game was a mess, but still went foward with the release anyways

The post was made on 4chan so take with 🧂🧂🧂:

Negatives:

• Development for the game started in 2018.
  • Game was originally made for UE4, the vertical slices shown in gameplay presentations were real and it was how the game was intended to look.
  • CiGames and HexWorks got too ambitious and decided to upgrade to UE5 in 2022. This is shown in their marketing campaign with Collector's Edition (Im assuming it's because the game was marketed as a AAA game)
  • UE5 Upgrade severly muddled the development. Lots of things had to be downgraded and cut.
  • No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine.
  • CiGames and HexWorks knew the game was unoptimized and took opportunity of the Xbox slow certification approval to release it anyways.
  • Developers asked for another year of development but HexGames didn't want to risk releasing close to Shadows of the Erdtree and had to appease investors.
  • Developers had to run agaisnt time to get the game functional for release.
  • The PVP/co-op was working but the UE5 transition broke everything.
  • Hexworks is worried with refunds.
Some Positives:

• Development Team is working hard on fixing the game.
  • There are Two Expansions Planned. One which you visit a dream realm called Morpheus and the other where it expands the world/map with two warring kingdoms (says it's mostly placeholder)
  • The game seems to have surpassed 1 million units sold.
  • A roadmap with QoL changes over the next few months is dropping soon.
  • The dev ask people to go on the Discord for complaints and support as they are listening

MiyazakiLovesKojima

It could be that transitioning from UE4 to UE5 was the main issue.

However, UE5, in the right hands, can be a fantastic engine.

Great example: Tekken 8
Jin Kazama Punch GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Get Some Martial Arts GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Fighting Game Quote GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Kick Kicking GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is why you don't chase trends, people jumping to UE5 expecting a magic bullet are gonna be big time disappointed

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
FGs are among the easiest to run. So far every UE5 game has been a disappointment. I am not seeing that favourable visuals/performance tradeoff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
View attachment 2623

A supposed Lords of The Fallen dev went foward saying that HexWorks and Cigames was aware that the game was a mess, but still went foward with the release anyways

The post was made on 4chan so take with 🧂🧂🧂:

Negatives:

• Development for the game started in 2018.
  • Game was originally made for UE4, the vertical slices shown in gameplay presentations were real and it was how the game was intended to look.
  • CiGames and HexWorks got too ambitious and decided to upgrade to UE5 in 2022. This is shown in their marketing campaign with Collector's Edition (Im assuming it's because the game was marketed as a AAA game)
  • UE5 Upgrade severly muddled the development. Lots of things had to be downgraded and cut.
  • No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine.
  • CiGames and HexWorks knew the game was unoptimized and took opportunity of the Xbox slow certification approval to release it anyways.
  • Developers asked for another year of development but HexGames didn't want to risk releasing close to Shadows of the Erdtree and had to appease investors.
  • Developers had to run agaisnt time to get the game functional for release.
  • The PVP/co-op was working but the UE5 transition broke everything.
  • Hexworks is worried with refunds.
Some Positives:

• Development Team is working hard on fixing the game.
  • There are Two Expansions Planned. One which you visit a dream realm called Morpheus and the other where it expands the world/map with two warring kingdoms (says it's mostly placeholder)
  • The game seems to have surpassed 1 million units sold.
  • A roadmap with QoL changes over the next few months is dropping soon.
  • The dev ask people to go on the Discord for complaints and support as they are listening
Sounds very realistic, everything sounds as the unpredictable common challenges, issues and ways to solve them from any gamedev studio.

Yes, cinematics with only 1 or 2 characters on a mostly empty and small stage look better in all engines than gameplay on large areas with many enemies.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This is why you don't chase trends, people jumping to UE5 expecting a magic bullet are gonna be big time disappointed
Making a tool change in the middle of the development of a video game without properly assessing the risk/benefits ratio (they did not have the means to mess around with the transition if it did not go according to plan).

So, maybe UE5 would have been a great choice if they had started with it, but going to it mid project seems like asking for trouble.

But have you seen these demos? I think whoever was in charge got carried away by the hype!

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Devs just seem more familiar with UE4 obviously and UE5 games seem to have perf issues out the gate.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
This seems to be true. The same thing happend to Immortals of Aveum

Im extremely pissed that i paid $49.99 for the game. I could start a dispute in my credit card so i could pay this only next year but yeah.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This seems to be true. The same thing happend to Immortals of Aveum

Im extremely pissed that i paid $49.99 for the game. I could start a dispute in my credit card so i could pay this only next year but yeah.
I tried to get a Sony refund yesterday but they didn't bite 😂 I'm actually enjoying it now though all issues considered.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Developers can still do so much with UE4 just like they did with UE3. Arkham Knight is a perfect example of a game looking like it's using next gen UE at the time but it wasn't. The game was using a heavily modified UE3 and it was looking like UE4 back then.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
what i gather, it is not game engine but lack of time.
and devs ask more time but were denied because bottom line and shareholders more important than finished game and happy customers.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
what i gather, it is not game engine but lack of time.
and devs ask more time but were denied because bottom line and shareholders more important than finished game and happy customers.
They would likely have had the time if they didn't switch mid project.

The bottom line is what keeps people working.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It could be that transitioning from UE4 to UE5 was the main issue.

The only game you can list being “good” on UE5 is a game that didn’t launch yet?

Let’s wait for the results.

Because every single UE5 game released umtil now was amazing in the PR marketing but suffered with huge issues at launch.

UE5 doesn’t delivery in its promises… that is the truth right now and Epic is losing a lot of developers with that (the Engine is not even profitable).

• Surprised
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima