Gravity rush film preview shown at CES

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
There is Asobi who were part of Japan studio the splintered and takes up tht slack.

They are only like 30 people, they won't have the same output as prime team japan sadly

I do miss stuff like Locoroco,patapon,gravity rush and Ape Escape

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They are only like 30 people, they won't have the same output as prime team japan sadly

I agree, hopefully they get bigger

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Queue Yurinka claiming that they're actually the same thing.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Japan studio was shut down

Queue Yurinka claiming that they're actually the same thing.
Fake news, Japan Studio wasn't shut down.

It was restructured changing their management (after they kept the studio making now cancelled mobile games) and merging their different internal Japan Studio development teams such as Team Ico, Team Gravity etc into one of them: Team Asobi. Who aren't 30 people (they were around 35 before the restructuring), after merging the other teams and doing some hirings they were over 60-70 people in mid 2022 and growing aiming to achieve 100 people soon (they don't want to grow beyond 100 people).

Even before the restructuring, Team Asobi already had people who had worked in many Japan Studio classics, because their teams weren't completely separated teams and shared/moved people from a project/team to another as needed.

This amount of people of >60 doesn't include their Japanase XDEV team (in charge of the Asian 2nd party games), who is also growing and which now has their own office (but still in the same building) separated from the Team Asobi/Japan Studio one.

With that restructuring, their Japanese XDEV team moved to a new separate office to grow because they are working in more 2nd party games than ever before. Since the Japan Studio restructuring, they are now working on 2nd party games developed in the whole Asia, not only in Japanese games only, which is what they did while in the Japan Studio office. And well, also oved to a new office to -exactly as the XDEV/2nd party publishing from EU and NA did years before- have their own independent office part of the global XDEV team after being a division of a local internal development studio during many years.

Since they aren't shut down, after the restructuring Team Asobi is working on a 3D action adventure bigger than the Astro games plus also has a R&D team working in different prototypes that after some incubation some may be used in their next game or may end turned into additional games "with the same kind of spirit and values, but in completely different genres".

As far as we know, after the restructuring their Japanese XDEV team published Death Stranding Director's Cut and is working on Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside and stuff that may be unannounced.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Box and Zzero