Guerrilla Games have Ambitious Plans for Decima Engine

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

View attachment 1070
This is the formation of a new development team from within GG for game creation? Or are they saying they've got a team now fully focused on evolving the engine for use in future games?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
With how long Unreal 5 is taking to get going it would be cool if they made Decima more accessible to other devs.

Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
With how long Unreal 5 is taking to get going it would be cool if they made Decima more accessible to other devs.
The problem is that moving away from a tool like Unreal Engine involves a lot of things, especially for a big team, and even with training new hires.

UE is so engrained in the industry that finding people who already know it is easier than training people for your own engine. When you move from it you loose access to the toolset and assets libraries it provides, existing knowledge of employees (x150), the whole workflow of a project will be impacted and good practice in one engine may be the worst thing to do in the other.

Anyway, I love how decima games look and it works wonders on open world games, so the benefits may be obvious for that kind of project.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
We will see where it goes its more interesting for in-house usage. Many studios are using it as of now. We know they gave the engine source code to KojiPro and they upgraded the game and helped on horizon 1(in the credits). With all the studios using the engine the updates and unique pipelines. Its gonna grow the engine at super fast rate. It's gonna be the fastest growing engine.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The problem is that moving away from a tool like Unreal Engine involves a lot of things, especially for a big team, and even with training new hires.

UE is so engrained in the industry that finding people who already know it is easier than training people for your own engine. When you move from it you loose access to the toolset and assets libraries it provides, existing knowledge of employees (x150), the whole workflow of a project will be impacted and good practice in one engine may be the worst thing to do in the other.

Anyway, I love how decima games look and it works wonders on open world games, so the benefits may be obvious for that kind of project.
Kojima did pretty well with Decima. Sony in the past considered their teams working on a common engine (that where ICE team comes from).

Razdaz

25 Sep 2022
Very nice to see them continuing to expand Decima, especially with Hulst remarking on several games using it outside of the Horizon series. I really wonder which other studios are using it; Bend has been on my mind regarding this, with their deliberately vague word on which engine their next game on in their job lists.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Very nice to see them continuing to expand Decima, especially with Hulst remarking on several games using it outside of the Horizon series. I really wonder which other studios are using it; Bend has been on my mind regarding this, with their deliberately vague word on which engine their next game on in their job lists.

Welcome to the forum!

We definitely know a few, one is Bates Motel and another is obviously Death Stranding 2....

Playing Horizon Burning Shores at the moment and it is just amazing what this engine can do in the hands of Guerrilla and I am sure other talented devs too. Very excited to see how versatile it can be.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Razdaz

25 Sep 2022
Welcome to the forum!

We definitely know a few, one is Bates Motel and another is obviously Death Stranding 2....

Playing Horizon Burning Shores at the moment and it is just amazing what this engine can do in the hands of Guerrilla and I am sure other talented devs too. Very excited to see how versatile it can be.

Yeah I didn't mention Death Stranding 2 since it was already announced. Ballistic Moon is an interesting one, since they explicitly mention on their website that their project is using UE5, but then again, I recall Guerrilla/ex-Guerrilla employees remarking that Decima Editor is very similar to UE's...:unsure:

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Yeah I didn't mention Death Stranding 2 since it was already announced. Ballistic Moon is an interesting one, since they explicitly mention on their website that their project is using UE5, but then again, I recall Guerrilla/ex-Guerrilla employees remarking that Decima Editor is very similar to UE's...:unsure:

Oh yeah, maybe you're right... I might be getting confused with another game.

I forget exactly what it said on that reddit leak.

Reactions: Razdaz

Razdaz

25 Sep 2022
Oh yeah, maybe you're right... I might be getting confused with another game.

I forget exactly what it said on that reddit leak.
Yeah I know which one you're referring to, the leaked document of XDev projects, which did list Ballistic Moon's game as using Decima, so who knows, though it's gonna be a while until we'll see the game, they mention it to still be in early stages.