Hellblade 2 failed to make Top 100 in Europe during May (launch month)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

https://80.lv/articles/hellblade-2-s-sales-wouldn-t-amaze-anyone/
Source

According to Circana, in terms of engagement, the game ranked 12th on Xbox, leaving behind Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Apex Legends, and Forza Horizon 5 but losing to Fallout 76, which was 11th.

Unfortunately, it failed to appear on the Top 100 European sales charts in May and scored 110,193 viewers on Twitch on launch day but then dropped to 900 by the following week (via Insider Gaming.)

Overall, while it doesn't seem that horrible, Hellblade 2's sales leave much to be desired. Perhaps fans asking Xbox to put more effort into promoting it were right.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Understandable, considering that having it on Game Pass I don't see why people would buy it. Even more when the first one wasn't a big seller.

I assume it wasn't just a marketing thing, I'd say all the Xbox fans knew it was coming and one of their main 1st party releases of the year. But knowing that it wasn't going to be a big seller in any case, MS decided to invest proportionally on its marketing.

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
Understandable, considering that having it on Game Pass I don't see why people would buy it. Even more when the first one wasn't a big seller.

I assume it wasn't just a marketing thing, I'd say all the Xbox fans knew it was coming and one of their main 1st party releases of the year. But knowing that it wasn't going to be a big seller in any case, MS decided to invest proportionally on its marketing.
But this flys in the face of gamepass supporters for years who claimed GAMEPASS LEADS TO MORE SALES... Sooo your saying that was a LIE by the fans and xbox themselves.

26 Nov 2023

I don’t think it’s that understandable given it didn’t even really get that much engagement looking at both Steam and the most played list on Xbox. For a game so long in development to not really have any kind of impact whatsoever is quite bad and I think it's why MS is lookin more and more into multiplatform because Hellblade 2 being exclusives makes no sense whatsoever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But this flys in the face of gamepass supporters for years who claimed GAMEPASS LEADS TO MORE SALES... Sooo your saying that was a LIE by the fans and xbox themselves.
That was just one of many Phil Spencer's PR bullshit lies for some rare case.

If that would be true, all 3rd parties would want to be on GP and they don't unless MS pays them enough to compensate the lost sales. And well, Sony would copy it. Because obviously companies will do what they think will give them more money.

But instead we saw companies who did stop putting their games there plus MS removing the day one games from GP console tier, making it more similar to the healthier PS+ Extra equivalent.

I don’t think it’s that understandable given it didn’t even really get that much engagement looking at both Steam and the most played list on Xbox. For a game so long in development to not really have any kind of impact whatsoever is quite bad and I think it's why MS is lookin more and more into multiplatform because Hellblade 2 being exclusives makes no sense whatsoever.
I assume MS bought Ninja Theory with the long term idea of having them to make the MS equivalent of God of War somewhere in the future after some time growing.

But when acquired they had a few other projects in the works or in preproduction that they wanted to make (Bleeding Edge, Hellblade 2, Project Mara), so did move them forward and decided to keep them exclusive because that was better than nothing, even if not expecting great sales from them.

I also assume that if doesn't shut them down before, MS will be more confident with their next in their next games, the first ones started since day one inside MS before their greenlight. In theory they should be something where MS will be more invested, better integrated in their catalog and roadmap, and where MS will have more control, so pretty likely would invest more in that project's gamedev and marketing too.

Antoniades said Hellblade 2 was going to be much bigger than the first one, but ended being similar, if not shorter. Pretty likely MS didn't want to have a very long development so decided to its scope to release it asap and move asap to the next project MS is interested in, the first one started inside MS.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Ninja Theory was never a right fit for Xbox. There was never any chance the moment they put pressure on them to be a tent pole game. Ninja Theory do AA well if they were managed right. The mismanagement created a ridiculous time delay and worse created unobtainable expectations when it was pushed as the big game of 2024. I could see them reduced to being a small studio doing the scanning bits for other more important IPs so those games look better and not Craig.

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023

Wait, that is old news, 2 weeks. Why making a thread about it now specifically ?? Thread exists, though