Helldivers 2 sold 12m as of may 5th 2024, it’s the fastest selling PS First Party game ever.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Interestingly enough I think yesterday was the first time the game fell below 100k concurrent.

What is it just about 3 months? Excellent launch window performance.

Release date of Feb 8th so May 8th would be 3 months.
Just a little bit over 3 months, but the game does need to have a sizable update in late May/June.
4 months is a pretty standard GaaS "season" cadence and they should probably aim to do so as well.

A trailer at the upcoming PS showcase should hopefully be the plan.
Get that marketing money to do some work as a second wind for the game as summer starts.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
People don't wanna hear this post Microsoft's PR(ruining it for everyone). But Sony absolutely should be buying arrowhead.

Also I've seen numerous people say tell Sony to take notes on this success, as if they aren't the ones that orchestrated this PC gaas strategy themselves. They've known how essential PC is for gaas games for YEARS now.

Congrats to arrowhead and Sony for making my favorite multiplayer game in two generations.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Arrowhead is ''stuck'' on HD2 for the upcoming years/prob remainder of PS5. Since Sony owns the IP there is no rush, I can understand the sentiment but they could simply just sign them for another game for PS6 and not have the overhead costs on the books. I would argue it's better for them to stay independent unless they want to get acquired and work on a SOCOM game 🤔

12 million is crazy (Square is punching air somewhere).. All the doubters of Jim Ryan saying he is wrong and live-service will be the end of PS, ironically the first one out the gate; he is right once again.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Arrowhead is ''stuck'' on HD2 for the upcoming years/prob remainder of PS5. Since Sony owns the IP there is no rush, I can understand the sentiment but they could simply just sign them for another game for PS6 and not have the overhead costs on the books. I would argue it's better for them to stay independent unless they want to get acquired and work on a SOCOM game 🤔

12 million is crazy (Square is punching air somewhere).. All the doubters of Jim Ryan saying he is wrong and live-service will be the end of PS, ironically the first one out the gate; he is right once again.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif
They have 2 options. Stick with Sony and keep expanding Helldivers IP, or stay independent, find a new publisher and make a new IP and pray their studio clout grants them familiar success without Sony. Sticking with Sony is a way safer choice, but the other route would make arrowhead even more rich.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You mean Destruction All-Stars?
Didn't GT7 also release before HD2?
Titles that were among the 12 planned games simultaneously on PC and had the live-service department of excellence set up Bungie take a look at it. GT7 (and DAS) are in the portfolio definitely but not from the revised strategy for clarification.

They have 2 options. Stick with Sony and keep expanding Helldivers IP, or stay independent, find a new publisher and make a new IP and pray their studio clout grants them familiar success without Sony. Sticking with Sony is a way safer choice, but the other route would make arrowhead even more rich.
Agree, would be safer and resources wise better to grow the studio. There is a risk venturing independent they don't own the IP.
I am a bit on the fence, since increasing studio bloat while you already have them secured for years is not necessary but at the same time they have worked with Sony for a long time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yeah, the movie for this already exists and everybody knows it.

What did most here estimate? 20 million? Great multiplier nonsense.
If they keep supporting the game with new content and send away the guy that is currently doing all the fun-killing nerfs weapon balancing, this game is 100% going to sell well above 20 million copies.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What is it just about 3 months? Excellent launch window performance.
Yes, first 12 weeks/3 months.

As reference GoWR had the previous record for the fastest selling PS console exclusive (and PS Studios published game) ever selling 11M in 3 months.

What did most here estimate? 20 million? Great multiplier nonsense.
We know that it's Sony's 7th best selling games in USA, meaning it sold more there than some Sony games that sold over 15M worldwide. But the 12M number is from May 5th.

Regarding the multiplier estimate, as mentioned multiple times due to obvious reasons it doesn't work well with games that received review bombings or had important issues like server ones HD2 had at launch.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You mean Destruction All-Stars?
Didn't GT7 also release before HD2?

Of the 12 live service games. MLB the Show I believe was the first.

Destruction All stars wasn’t part of the list and GT7 isn’t considered live service by Sony either.

Of course many of the 12 have now been cancelled.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Maybe they dont want to be bought. U cant force them. We dont know whqts the happening.

Also sony financed them for 7 years. Theres no publisher on planet who would do the same.

I think they ll continue workign with sony together as second party.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Maybe Sony hasn't tried to buy them as yet as Arrowhead is kinda stuck with them for the foreseeable future anyways... They can't move on from Helldivers 2 anytime soon

OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe they dont want to be bought. U cant force them. We dont know whqts the happening.

Also sony financed them for 7 years. Theres no publisher on planet who would do the same.

I think they ll continue workign with sony together as second party.

Maybe Sony hasn't tried to buy them as yet as Arrowhead is kinda stuck with them for the foreseeable future anyways... They can't move on from Helldivers 2 anytime soon
He said this yesterday after the Hermen CEO announcement. Still independent.

Reactions: Danja1187

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
He said this yesterday after the Hermen CEO announcement. Still independent.

I can see them eventually getting acquired but I feel they still need to prove themselves in Sony's eyes. But they have also made a shit ton of money, so they probably want to keep their independence now that their stocks are through the roof.

Shame Hermen didn't lock em down from 2022

Last edited:
  • brain

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
What's even more impressive with Helldivers 2 is that it overtook GoW:R and Spider-Man 2 in terms of units sold in the first 3 months without the usual Q3 boost(bundles/holidays in general). That's without talking about the IP strength difference of Helldivers 1 vs GoW 2018 and/or Spider 1 and Miles Morales which... Let's just say the difference was bigly here.

Nobody expected these results for sure, crazy stuff for real.
Well maybe like 5 OG Helldivers 1 stans.

• fire