Helldivers 2 took nearly 8 years to develop.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Long time to develop for a AA type of game. I mean it's awesome and all but I'm surprised

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Don’t like this guy, sounds like a big headed tosser who loves the limelight.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Long time to develop for a AA type of game. I mean it's awesome and all but I'm surprised

That means it's a Yoshida game. That guy just knows his stuff.

Makes sense. Small budget at first. Up until release approval.Just building a working level/systens must of took years. They had what 20-30 people. Then they had to learn stuff they weren't used to. Going from top down to Sony template and multiplayer tech systems it aint easy. And to survive the review process without getting canned. It ain't easy. Even deviation experts flopped. It ain't easy.Now they got the skills down. Everything must be easier now.

This what you want to see AA studios go up levels.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Makes sense. Small budget at first. Up until release approval.Just building a working level/systens must of took years. They had what 20-30 people. Then they had to learn stuff they weren't used to. Going from top down to Sony template and multiplayer tech systems it aint easy. And to survive the review process without getting canned. It ain't easy. Even deviation experts flopped. It ain't easy.Now they got the skills down. Everything must be easier now.

This what you want to see AA studios go up levels.
Definitely up thee with some of the best AAA.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's a Returnal type of game, maybe started as AA but got buffed during development and ended being a AAA.

I've been checking the Warbonds, Stratagems and ship unlockables and there are a ton of different attacks and mechanics there, which combined require a lot of related game design, rebalancing and testing. As an example, yesterday I unlocked a jetpack and in my next srategem I'll unlock a drone. There are also many great coop related ones like a backpack to carry supplies or weapons that need to be reloaded by a second player. There's a lot of work put there, and also the in-game economy is super well balanced and I think it's the best sweet spot I found between being player friendly and fulfilling their monetization needs.

Yesterday I went to check out its game credits, I'd say way over 100 people from Arrowhead worked on it, plus many external support/outsourcing teams and on top of that the usual SIE & PS Studios teams involved in an PS Studios team. The credits still aren't available in Moby Games, but I'd say there are way over people credited there. That, plus considering a 8 years development means AAA territory.

Yes, like other PS Studios games being released now like Rise of the Ronin, were greenlighted in the Andrew House + Yoshida era, but 5 of its almost 8 years have been developed under the Jim Ryan + Hermen era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Idc if it was 8 or 5 years it is a fun avd great game. You can tell the difference though between it's cousin Destiny 2 with AAA budget and this however the graphics are good, gane is fun and honestly it can go toe to toe with any game. As I dropped the turrets and had all out Warfare i couldn't help but he reminded of Warhawk/Starhawk as well. Except starhawk had flying mechs you could get into and you could build up defenses.